Weak points as new IFR student

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
So far I'm really struggling flying VORs and turns
to headings on magnetic compass without using the HI.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
Don't know what specific concern you have, but to offer a general observation, many people tend to do too much steering. Whether you're driving a tractor, boat, horse, or airplane, less is more when it comes to control inputs.

In the case of an airplane tracking a radial, make a small course correction and wait to be sure what is the effect. The key to a non-precision approach, is to embrace the notion of "non-precision". Focus on the big picture and don't get so fixated on putting the needle dead-center if it's at the expense of altitude control or situational awareness.

The trick to VORs is making small corrections. If the needle is slightly off to the left or right don't make a 90 degree intercept. You'll just end up casing the needle. Small corrections, give the needle time to react, then make another correction if nothing happens.

3 degrees per second on a standard rate turn.

Get good at turning and holding standard rate turns while in VFR conditions.

60 seconds = 180 degree turn
30 seconds = 90 degrees

Do the math, figure out how many seconds to turn. turn and start counting.

remember UNOS!

You will find some great instruction online, just like the avclicks link above.

If you still struggle, it might be a good idea to talk to a human. Feel free to PM me for a number (or Skype ID or whichever).

Thanks for the tips and help. I will do some sim this week with my instructor and get these kinks worked out. Once the light bulb goes on in my head then it will get easier. I still may build my own sim to keep extra practice going.

I've found AvClicks to be a very confusing set up. I can't seem to navigate it.
I see you're into music. Making any sense at all out of written music is something I can't navigate if my life depended on it. I bet there's a connection there. :)

dtuuri

Don't chase the needle. Pick a heading close, if it drifts, pick a heading to correct and when it's coming back to the donut turn to a new median heading.

Compass turns are hard, PIC doesn't teach them. Do a standard rate timed turn that will get you to the heading you want, roll out and then check the compass. Lather-Rinse-Repeat.

This YouTube page has a lot of simple and effective demonstrations, here is their VOR tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vOl0cy8G3Y

I watched the video. Nicely done (I like the narrator's clear voice), but using the initial slide as an example, the only way a 45° heading will take you to the station is if you happen to be on the 225° radial. As for intercepting a given radial and then tracking to the station, the same heading only works on some radials southwest of the station not all. I think the traditional way is or should be easily within an instrument pilot's mental ability. If the pilot can't visualize it without a moving map, well... finish the thought yourself.

dtuuri

I see you're into music. Making any sense at all out of written music is something I can't navigate if my life depended on it. I bet there's a connection there. :)

dtuuri
Lol, no offense meant, glad to see there was none taken...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Thanks this was helpful. I am slowly getting better so by the time checkride time comes I will be on point.

For turns to a heading on the compass, the key is leading your rollout by the right amount. And when you see it work, it's kind of amazing.

I'm going to screw this up I know, but if you're turning to a north or south heading, you start your rollout 30 degrees 'early' (or 'late' for south IIRC). The compass will be leading or lagging, but do it 30 degrees early. If For each 30 degrees off of north or south, subtract 10 degrees. So if you're turning to 330 you only go 20 degrees 'early'. For 300 you go 10 degrees early, and for 270 you rollout right on 270 IIRC. And similar for the other quadrants.

Ask your instructor about this technique if he hasn't already mentioned it. It is amazing when you start your turn and then finish it right as your compass is catching up.

I hope this crappy explanation doesn't make things worse. :-/

Back