We ordered a Bushcat

rhkennerly

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
rhkennerly
At September's Midwest LSA Expo we pulled the trigger on a new Bushcast, E-LSA, factory-built. Delivery this summer. https://www.fly-aerosport.com/bushcat-light-sport

I'd been shopping for a couple of years and there were several contenders, particularly the Kitfox, the Vasion, and the Aerotrek (as well as some antiques, like the Champ, Luscombe and Taylorcraft--but I've already spent 25 yrs maintaining a 40 yr old sailboat, so I'm done fixing stuff up).

The Bushcat won out on price and delivery time. [when you're 7 yrs old, two years SEEMS like a lifetime. Whey you're nearer 70 yrs old, 2 yrs IS a lifetime.] Plus, it is a hoot to fly.

F9B58F2F-AFAE-42AB-B14E-27F4E639536F.jpeg

I opted for the trike over a conventional gear, despite having been an L19 pilot during the unpleasantness in SEA.

Unlike out west, where Trent Palmer, Cory Robins, and the Flying Cowboys flit from hill top to hill top, there aren't any public lands and damn few gravel river bars on the East Coast. Nor are there a lot of public grass runways around here. If we had cactus-free, grassy hilltops where I could land squarely into the wind, I'd have gone with a tailwheel. But we don't.

In Tidewater Virginia, landing areas are mudflats on slow-moving rivers or prickly pear-infested pastures, all private land. Beach landings are corrosively salty and fraught with sunbathers, runner, and dogs, even if they were legal here.

There's a lot of interest right now in tailwheels, they're in vogue. But in my experience, tailwheels limit your landing runway choices and acceptable crosswind components on a day-to-day basis. (If you want evidence, listen to the early Fisk Arrivals at this year's Oshkosh. Tailwheel pilots were all requesting 27 even though the crosswind component was slight, but gusty, on the North runway). I had my share of ground loops on the government dime. These will be on my dime.

There's also the issue of costs. Quite a large premium was added to my insurance quotes, equal to several hours of flying each year, for the tailwheel insurance (due to my lack of tiny wheel currency and age, no doubt).

In no analysis of my most likely mission profile did tailwheel come out on top.
9FC87205-A1EB-45F0-AED8-53AABC37CF16_1_105_c.jpeg

And what is my mission profile? Putzing mostly. Perfecting the stick and rudder skills of flying. Nailing a short field. Hitting a XC waypoint on the nose. Sheep gazing and whale watching.

I'm registering my Bushcat as an Experimental so, with a two-day class, I can do my own annuals and light maintenance. On the Bushcat everything--every bellcrank, cable end, and safety wired nut--is easily accessible.

BC18F318-0176-43D9-8DEB-56171C15BF4C.png

The Bushcat is somewhat slower than the three other contenders, but it climbs better. It also has more useful load. The wide stance and lower height increase my crosswind options.

You gotta be realistic about your mission: other than for the sheer pleasure of flying somewhere a long way away, no Bushcat mission over 200 miles distance is cheaper, faster, or safer than buying a seat on Southwest, particularly if I was on a schedule.

Thoughts? Did I do the right thing? What would you have done?

Last edited:
It's a neat little airplane. Their main facility is only about an hour from me. One of these days I'm going to go up there and look at one. It'd be fun to have one to fly off the farm if I can fit into it.

I’ve seen them at Oshkosh for a few years, and always wondered why the magazines and websites weren’t all over them. Lately, it appears the BuschCat is in line to become the next “It Girl.” Looks like lots of fun.

Congratulations.

@Hiflyr1 are you the young lady making/selling jewelry to pay for her Bushcat?

@rhkennerly congratulations. I rented one at 10C and really enjoyed it. Fun to fly and easy to access all connections, pulleys etc.

You’ll be very happy and the Knolls (Krolls?) are really good people.

I bet that will do just fine on grass and dirt strips if you find some. Good choice.

Thx. I toyed with the tail wheel, but there are few grass or off runway opportunities here. The substantial difference in insurance savings for the trike settled it for me.

@Hiflyr1 are you the young lady making/selling jewelry to pay for her Bushcat?

@rhkennerly congratulations. I rented one at 10C and really enjoyed it. Fun to fly and easy to access all connections, pulleys etc.

You’ll be very happy and the Knolls (Krolls?) are really good people.

no, not making any jewelry. But I do love the Knolls. Solid couple with a tremendous work ethic.

I was wondering if High Flyer was the lady building the Bushcat Kit, @rhkennerly.

There is a young lady that makes jewelry and would take a trailer to air shows and display her jewelry and Bushcat progress next to their booth. I think she was financing the build through the sale of jewelry.

Awesome little plane. Roomy side/side cockpit. Modern avionics, clean panel and royal engine for less than $100k. Pretty powerful value proposition.

Also - the ability to unzip most of the surfaces and see the metal tube control/frame underneath was awesome!

Seemed like, unlike standard fabric, maybe a lot easier to recover when the time comes (not the same specialized skill set needed to recover a Champ).

I was wondering if High Flyer was the lady building the Bushcat Kit, @rhkennerly.

Awesome little plane. Roomy side/side cockpit. Modern avionics, clean panel and royal engine for less than $100k. Pretty powerful value proposition.

Also - the ability to unzip most of the surfaces and see the metal tube control/frame underneath was awesome!

Seemed like, unlike standard fabric, maybe a lot easier to recover when the time comes (not the same specialized skill set needed to recover a Champ).
Good point about the covering, it's an interesting new concept. You're correct about access and recovering. I plan to get the two day inspection course under my belt to avoid the annual. Every nut and bolt is easily inspectable. Plus I'm registering it as an experimental.

And recovering has to be a better experience.

I recovered a T-Craft with my Dad when I was 10-ish. It was messy, time-consuming, and dangerous. I probably didn't help much, but I do remember after doping the plane that we sat in the grass for hours sharing a cigar. They don't call it dope for nothing.

With the Bushcat you just order a new skin in the pattern and colors you fancy and lace it on. No dope, no paint, and it only takes a couple of days to replace (and a big bottle of talc to smooth the skin friction over the tubes.

There are things that I wish were different, but that's true of every plane (car, dog, wife).

I don't know if you noticed but there are only a couple of ribs in the wing. Instead, tensioned battens shape the wing. We aren't afraid of that because when we cruised our sailboat, we saw a lot of Cats with fully battened main sails. (Sailing is just like flying, but with one wing stuck in the water).

Some people are suspicious of the bolt-together aluminum structure rather than a welded cage. As near as I can tell from wrecks in this weight/construction class of airplanes (kitfox, super cub, etc.), the most damage seems to come from internal damage from sieving soft body parts through a 4-point harness or noggin smashing against a structural member.

So in a way, the Bushcat is an experimental airplane trying out some new techniques. We'll see. We owned the first fiberglass-constructed sailboat as well. Nobody knew how long it would last. Lots of doomsayers predicted it would come apart after a decade. 40 yrs later, they're still sailing.

The covering looks to be much easier than ceconite and probably more sturdy, too. But I’d want a plan that didn’t rely on Bushcat remaining solvent.

The covering looks to be much easier than ceconite and probably more sturdy, too. But I’d want a plan that didn’t rely on Bushcat remaining solvent.

otoh, you have the current covering to use as a template. Sailmakers have been custom cutting & sewing trilam for decades. One could cover over the fuselage with anything, really. The wings would be—more or less—straight runs. I imagine the actual sailcloth manufacturing plant is custom cutting the trilam anyway.

there is nothing else unique about the plane. It’s all off-the-shelf-ish parts (the seats are a standard product, but custom embroidered with the logo). The fuel tank is rotomolded by the a supplier. The landing gear, brakes, & wheels are used on a lot of planes. Rotax 912 uls.

Lice looking plane. Clean, good performance. I think I would enjoy flying/owning one, congrats...:)

There's quite a few folks with a channel on YouTube that fly the Bushcat, but I tend to watch Bushcat Tom and Darrell Curtis the most. Looks like an great plane to fly! A few video links (Bushcat Tom's plane getting the skin toward the end of the first video)

There's quite a few folks with a channel on YouTube that fly the Bushcat, but I tend to watch Bushcat Tom and Darrell Curtis the most. Looks like an great plane to fly! A few video links (Bushcat Tom's plane getting the skin toward the end of the first video)

Yeah, I'm a fan of their channels too. Darrell just put his Bushcat on the market and is getting a newer model. Tom and Sharon are a blast. Got to hang out with them at Mt. Vernon, IL., at the LSA Expo last September.

Looks like a nice plane. The construction technique (bolted aluminum tubes, battens, and zippered on sailcloth covering or "sails") isn't new; it's the way ultralights have been built for years so it's stood the test of time. Repairs are very easy, just unbolt a component and bolt a new one on. Only the UV resistance of the fabric will not be as good as doped fabric with a the silver layers... but it doesn't need $20K in labor to replace, either.

Last edited:
But in my experience, tailwheels limit your landing runway choices and acceptable crosswind components on a day-to-day basis.

I am a little late to this game, as usual.

I agree with you. I have an hour or two in Alaska flying C-206 doing off airport work. I have landed a fully loaded 206 in places most folks would not believe. I once took a few days worth of alcohol to an off airport location that the local guides were using for their end of the season party. They thought it was pretty funny that I landed at their super secret location in a 206. I once landed on an ice covered runway at a 45 degree angle from the center line (if there had been a center line) due to the crosswind and slid on the ice at that angle. I stopped on the runway, unloaded the mail, then took off sliding in that same 45 degree angle.

I am sure there are some tail wheel pilots that have some some pretty amazing landings and could teach me a few tricks, but the nose wheel plane is less of a limitation to me than a tail wheel. The 206 comes in as my favorite airplane.

The Bushcat looks like something I will be interested in. Has yours come in yet.??

@Wagondriver its your choice. Factory built or kit.

ETA it ships to the USA from Africa as a kit in crates. They build it (factory build) at their shop at 10C (Galt/Wonder Leke Airport) or you can build it as a kit.

He may have been referring to the factory build process now that the parts are stateside in a crate.

Building from a kit is only about 250-300 hours according to the US dealers website. It would be nice if the wings folded like a kitfox it would really boost their sales could keep it in a trailer at home. Most larger cities airport hangers are 2-3 year waits $400 plus a month.

Looks like the fuel tank is mounted right behind the seats not sure I like that.

Last edited:
At September's Midwest LSA Expo we pulled the trigger on a new Bushcast, E-LSA, factory-built. Delivery this summer. https://www.fly-aerosport.com/bushcat-light-sport

I'd been shopping for a couple of years and there were several contenders, particularly the Kitfox, the Vasion, and the Aerotrek (as well as some antiques, like the Champ, Luscombe and Taylorcraft--but I've already spent 25 yrs maintaining a 40 yr old sailboat, so I'm done fixing stuff up).

The Bushcat won out on price and delivery time. [when you're 7 yrs old, two years SEEMS like a lifetime. Whey you're nearer 70 yrs old, 2 yrs IS a lifetime.] Plus, it is a hoot to fly.

View attachment 101182

I opted for the trike over a conventional gear, despite having been an L19 pilot during the unpleasantness in SEA.

Unlike out west, where Trent Palmer, Cory Robins, and the Flying Cowboys flit from hill top to hill top, there aren't any public lands and damn few gravel river bars on the East Coast. Nor are there a lot of public grass runways around here. If we had cactus-free, grassy hilltops where I could land squarely into the wind, I'd have gone with a tailwheel. But we don't.

In Tidewater Virginia, landing areas are mudflats on slow-moving rivers or prickly pear-infested pastures, all private land. Beach landings are corrosively salty and fraught with sunbathers, runner, and dogs, even if they were legal here.

There's a lot of interest right now in tailwheels, they're in vogue. But in my experience, tailwheels limit your landing runway choices and acceptable crosswind components on a day-to-day basis. (If you want evidence, listen to the early Fisk Arrivals at this year's Oshkosh. Tailwheel pilots were all requesting 27 even though the crosswind component was slight, but gusty, on the North runway). I had my share of ground loops on the government dime. These will be on my dime.

There's also the issue of costs. Quite a large premium was added to my insurance quotes, equal to several hours of flying each year, for the tailwheel insurance (due to my lack of tiny wheel currency and age, no doubt).

View attachment 101180

And what is my mission profile? Putzing mostly. Perfecting the stick and rudder skills of flying. Nailing a short field. Hitting a XC waypoint on the nose. Sheep gazing and whale watching.

I'm registering my Bushcat as an Experimental so, with a two-day class, I can do my own annuals and light maintenance. On the Bushcat everything--every bellcrank, cable end, and safety wired nut--is easily accessible.

View attachment 101181

The Bushcat is somewhat slower than the three other contenders, but it climbs better. It also has more useful load. The wide stance and lower height increase my crosswind options.

You gotta be realistic about your mission: other than for the sheer pleasure of flying somewhere a long way away, no Bushcat mission over 200 miles distance is cheaper, faster, or safer than buying a seat on Southwest, particularly if I was on a schedule.

Congrats!! And keep us posted. This one is on my top list. All I'm missing out there is a detailed operating costs. Yes, I know this changes depending on how DIY 'er you are, but a guesstimate can help for budgeting purposes. Looking forward to your comments on the long run

View attachment 101182

View attachment 101180

View attachment 101181

Have you decided on your avionics yet? I see a lot of potential panel designs on their website

Back