We made it to Alaska!

Wow, very cool. Be fun to do. Anxious to see your pics. :thumbsup:

That's awesome! Can't wait to see the photos.

The first one is boring as we are poised to take off
AA23C1C4-26A5-4DCA-81D9-2E1FD3CD277E.jpeg
But things did get a little exciting as we had to dodge some weather right off
C95981BF-FA08-4960-8313-477EA0154B50.jpeg

Wow that's a hell of a flight. My wife is from Soldotna, AK. I've never been to Alaska yet though haha. Nice airplane.

You can't even pretend that ain't cool.

Pretty wife, too!

More pics, more reports!

Great pics! What an adventure.

What was the total Hobbs/Tach time for the trip?

Did you go IFR or VFR? I have some extra time in a few years from work, and that is one of my goals.
And the pic of you in the weather, how did that turn out?

Did you go IFR or VFR? I have some extra time in a few years from work, and that is one of my goals.
Mostly VFR but without the IR rating we would have Had to sit on the ground a lot. Weather reporting leaves a lot to be desired up here.

Recognized Merrill Field no problem.

Looks like a fun trip..!!!

So cool - thank you for the nice pictures!

We have to postpone our Alaska trip to next year as I have shingles. Shingles doesn’t go well with sun and warm temperatures. A long summer indoors ahead of me... :(

Congrats,a flight you’ll never forget. I did the Alcan Highway flight through Canada to Fairbanks. Stayed a night at Toke to get the feel of AK . Congrats again.

Congrats looks like fun

Very Nice. Thanks for the pictures. Brings back memories from the 2 trips I had flying the ALCAN...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

edit::lol::lol::lol:, My B-19 only makes a little over 100kts, I'm jealous seeing the 175kt airspeed...:)

Last edited:
Welcome!!
You hit us for a spate of amazing weather... enjoy it

Great trip! BTDT, makes me want to do it again!

Mostly VFR but without the IR rating we would have Had to sit on the ground a lot. Weather reporting leaves a lot to be desired up here.

You missed that second question about the weather pic. :D

Obviously you made it, but that looks pretty hairy.

Looking great, maybe a ‘King Street IPA’ to celebrate.
If you go for Denali Brewing's "Single Engine Red", it has a picture of a propeller on it. Bonus! :)

Excellent Adventure! Keep posting the pictures. Does your trip include a swing up to Denali?

You missed that second question about the weather pic. :D

Obviously you made it, but that looks pretty hairy.
Were you asking about the screenshot of the 696 with all the red in it?
That was thr terrain page while we were flying through a pass. But we did fly around quite a bit of weather.

We finally found out that our strikefinder actually works and we made sure we stayed around a hundred miles or more from any observed lightning.

Excellent Adventure! Keep posting the pictures. Does your trip include a swing up to Denali?
We have lined up a flight instructor in Talkeetna to fly with us around Denali on Monday (With Tuesday as a weather alternate as snow is predicted)

We took a train to Seward yesterday and then a shuttle to see the “Exit Glacier”. We thought the shuttle would take us right to the glacier and maybe we could walk on it, but noooo. The shuttle dropped us off at the nature center and we had a A57A07C0-5116-4333-B1A0-3BB714A53571.jpeg two mile walk, UPHILL, BOTH WAYS! Or st least it felt like it because it was hot. We kept peeling off layers of clothes.

...we had a two mile walk, UPHILL, BOTH WAYS!...

Great pics and posts on this thread. Thank you! I'm living vicariously via the posts. And @Katamarino, looking forward to following your journey too!

But, what is this "walk uphill" thing you speak of? :confused:
That's why we have airplanes, isn't it? :)

Were you asking about the screenshot of the 696 with all the red in it?
That was thr terrain page while we were flying through a pass. But we did fly around quite a bit of weather.

Ah. I thought it was radar. lol.

We have lined up a flight instructor in Talkeetna to fly with us around Denali on Monday (With Tuesday as a weather alternate as snow is predicted)

Will do my best to convince the weather Gods to give you clear skies and calm winds. Denali from the air is just incredible.

Back