Waypoints - fun names

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
So I started IR and have a whopping 6 hours so far. The waypoints around KTDZ are pretty boring "ZAVRI" or "HOKVO" but in the "Corrupt my wish" thread it was mentioned there is a "BUBBA" waypoint.

Anyone have favorite/funny ones around them? I believe "SNUPY" (Snoopy) is over in California.

So I started IR and have a whopping 6 hours so far. The waypoints around KTDZ are pretty boring "ZAVRI" or "HOKVO" but in the "Corrupt my wish" thread it was mentioned there is a "BUBBA" waypoint.

Anyone have favorite/funny ones around them? I believe "SNUPY" (Snoopy) is over in California.

The GPS RWY 16 approach to Portsmouth, NH is

ITAWT ITAWA PUDYA TTATT IDEED.

Say it out loud, and put Looney Tunes on the TV while you do it.

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1302/00678R16.PDF

On non stop flights in the CJ-4 from Jackson Hole headed to Marathon Fla we sometimes pass over KLIT and make a right turn at Hevvn...:yes:;)

Last edited:
The departure procedure from KIGX (Chapel Hill, NC home of UNC) is "blue devil four" (duke)

I did my long IFR cross-country into Martinsburg, WV (KMRB ) . The ILS OM is Heven. So the controller told me to let him know when I reached HEVEN.

The FAFs on the RNAV approaches at KGRB are FAVRE, LMMBO, FRZZN, and TNDRA.

On one of the approaches to Portland you will pass, in sequence, TRAYL and BLAZR. On other approaches are OMMSI, for Portland's Oregon Museum of Science & Industry; and POWLZ, for the famous Powell's Bookstore.

I believe "SNUPY" (Snoopy) is over in California.
... which of course is near the the airport named for Snoopy's creator, Charles M. Schulz (KSTS).

There's PISTN, SPRTN, and HARWL for (Detroit) Pistons, (Michigan State) Spartans, and (Ernie) Harwell - the best baseball radio guy ever. There's also a QUBEE (QB - Quarterback) and DUNKS (basketball reference).

East of the Detroit area, out over Ontario and Lake Erie there's a bunch of astronomy-themed waypoints. There's SSUNN, MOONN, ERRTH, and MAARS, and there's also PICES, SPICA, OCTAS (from Octans, maybe?), GEMNI, and LLEEO, and I just noticed one called AXXIS (not sure if it's new or not).

I think I heard somewhere that the DRUNK intersection is near the Kennedy place in MA.

I particularly like SPICY BARBQ and RIBBS into Kansas City. Also, WAVEY over the Atlantic on the arival path to NY, SMOGY in the Los Angeles area, PECHY somewhere in Georgia. Lots of baseball references, some football ones too.

I shamelessly stole this one from another thread somewhere else (don't remember where). Apparently DRUNK is somewhere around Boston and is the point where a handoff to approach usually takes place, so if the ATIS is right, you could say "Skyhawk 12345, DRUNK with whiskey."

I like Delma because it is my wife's name. But she goes by something else.

My waypoint is JCACY which in on an RNAV approach to Augusta, ME runway 26. JAMIE has an intersection named for her but its a ways away from Northern WI. Sometimes you take what you get.

Over south Georgia is RDNECK (red neck).... Its on the swamp side of the magenta line between KBQK and KJAX

Around KIAD they're all 80's and 90's Redskins fans, starting with the GIBBZ ONE arrival... Most of the fixes are named after former players or personalities from the Joe Gibbs era.

The FRDMM ONE arrival to KDCA is almost too corny...

I agree that whoever is naming these is having way too much fun to be an FAA employee.

Kate, one of the closest airports to you is DUH.
Yep it's right up the street from my house. I'm sure airports have fun names too but I'm over that portion and enjoying the waypoint names :)

There's LIMBO just south of LAX. BORED BUSHY and WINDY out south east of Livermore, CA are also fun. I've been bored out there before.

On one of the approaches to Portland you will pass, in sequence, TRAYL and BLAZR. On other approaches are OMMSI, for Portland's Oregon Museum of Science & Industry; and POWLZ, for the famous Powell's Bookstore.

... which of course is near the the airport named for Snoopy's creator, Charles M. Schulz (KSTS).

Yep. Along with LUSEE, WDSTC, PIGPN and the CHARLIE TWO departure (too bad that one doesn't have a waypoint named FUTBL that you'd get a last minute re-route away from).

I have always wondered about the genesis of the Mustang VOR at Reno. The official story is it honors the air races at Stead, BUT at the base of the hill the facility is sited on was another equally famous venue which also used the name "Mustang". :dunno:

I've only flown 2 GPS approaches in 12 years of flying, so pardon my ignorance of the place I grew up near and started flying around.....

But is POWLZ or OMMSI located at or around the real places? Or is OMMSI just from the south and POWLZ from the west or something like that?

I've only flown 2 GPS approaches in 12 years of flying, so pardon my ignorance of the place I grew up near and started flying around.....

But is POWLZ or OMMSI located at or around the real places? Or is OMMSI just from the south and POWLZ from the west or something like that?

Neither is close to "home" as it were. POWLZ is East of the Willamette at 8.1 DME on the ILS 10L, OMMSI is 9 East of PDX on the GPS X for 28R.

On non stop flights in the CJ-4 from Jackson Hole headed to Marathon Fla we sometimes pass over KLIT and make a right turn at Hevvn...:yes:;)

Only if you are the female in the plane...

Over BRY (Bardstown, KY where a lot of bourbon is made) there is a JBEAM and a BRBON. Coming into Lexington, KY there is UUKAY. There is also the TXMEX arrival going into Houston.

The JAWWS THREE arrival to San Jose (KSJC) takes you over GOALI, JAWWS and SHRRK. Someone at the FAA is a Sharks fan.

DELMO intersection is on the Glen Rose arrival to the DFW area airports. Delmo is an old-time Corvette race car driver, pilot and a real piece of work. He keeps his many airplanes on the same hangar group where I keep my Bo.

Kinda sorta.

OMMSI is on the approach to KPDX Rwy 28R, which puts it southeast of the airport. OMSI (the museum) is -- just barely -- in southeast Portland, on the east bank of the Willamette River. POWLZ is on the approach to 10R, so it's northwest of the airport; and Powell's Bookstore is in Northwest Portland (just barely -- it's on the north side of Burnside St., which is the dividing line between NW and SW).

And there's no known connection, but the KPDX ILS 10L procedure has a fix called BUXOM ... six NM south of a nude beach.

:dunno:

Lebanon, NH, LEB, ILS Rwy 18 approach, HAMMM, BURGR, FRYYS

Very cool. 33 posts and barely off topic. Let's keep it going!! Does anyone know how the fixes get named? Is it like "stars" where you can pay to get one named after you?

The new RNAV STAR into Centennial from the northeast has a definite fish theme.

PUFFR PIEKE HMRHD HERNG KOHOE SLMON

The one from the southeast includes LAYLA and IMAGN.

But then there's my personal favorite.

DSC01124.JPG

The land mass to the east is Alaska. The land mass to the west is Russia.

PATTS, CELTS, SSOXS and BOSOX are all fixes around Boston.

Less fun, the FRDMM ONE arrival procedure into DCA with its various transitions will give you pause.

In Chicago, we have KUBBS (Cubs), TEDDY (Bears), BULLZ (Bulls), CMSKY (Comiskey Park) and WOLFF (Wolves). Over Lake Michigan is MUSKY, and off of Milwaukee is BRAVE and SUDDS. DITKA used to be an approach fix at Aurora, IIRC.

Not to mention, the START is about 40 miles west of me! :)

Last edited:
West of and around Denver has SKEED POWDR BASEE DOBEE BREWS SKIER BORDR AJAXX SLOLM ICIES HORST GORJE PLACR ARCHH LUIS TOJAM RACER BONGO KANDO and of course QUAIL is out on the plains. Down south are HOMME BLOKE BLOOM and GOSIP. The BORGG is somewhere north of the line from Rock Springs to Rawlins. I did not know that. I'll be more careful in the future when I'm up that way. The Greater Green River Interglactic Spaceport is just west of Rock Springs for those not in the know.

Ajax is the ski hill of Aspen
HORST is a geologic description term , sorta fits the Rockies
GORJE is over (sort of) the Royal Gorge
LUIS of over the San Louis Valley
PLACR is over old gold mining country
ARCHH is near Moab - Arches National Park area but it also has KIDNE

The rest maybe fairly obvious.

Back