watches

Keep your watch simple, black or white face, contrasting hands, easy to read numbers. I don't know where the idea of all these so called "pilot" watches came from, but the offerings for such contraptions are ridicules. You do not have the time, and in all probability the eyesight, to use a watch based E-6B when your piloting an airplane. You also do not have the time to be pushing assorted control buttons, turning dials and whatever other stupid controls might be involved to gather any meaningful information while your flying.

You need a watch that you can glance at and know what the time is. I've got a Rolex submariner, that I purchased brand new, with a black dial that sits in a drawer because it keeps such unreliable time. What I wear is an $85.00 black dialed watch with white hands that is sun powered. It keeps perfect time. Great for performing pilot duties.

John
I agree that the E6B function on my Citizen Skyhawk is worthless. The most useful feature is the ability to easily switch time zones. Any pilots watch should have UTC easily available.

I agree that the E6B function on my Citizen Skyhawk is worthless. The most useful feature is the ability to easily switch time zones. Any pilots watch should have UTC easily available.

Heck, the Skyhawk has a dial dedicated to UTC. :D

And I love the ease of switching time zones. All over the world, works great. I have used the E6B function in flight, and it worked fine. 58 year old eyes at the time. :D :D

Back