watch used for flying

Glad you found the ring, but gotta hear the rest of the story...was it the left ring finger?

It was June 1976 and he was a fresh 2nd Lt. We were static line jumping and he got his right hand above his head on exit and the ring caught the riser as it went up and he went down. New ring, nice and sharp edges took his finger off at the knuckle. I was several planes behind him so I only heard about it when wI I landed and was told to look. Eventually I heard the ring was found and we went back to base.

It doesn't much matter what watch you wear, or if you carry it vs. wearing. The Feds mandate a clock with a second hand [or digital representation of hours, minutes and seconds] be installed in the plane, and a watch or other time-keeping device on your body or in your pockets really doesn't matter. All I use mine for is to set the clock in my yoke.

So use whatever watch you normally wear . . . .

I no longer remember if the installed clock is required for VFR, or if it's an IFR-only requirement.

so i have a question about everyones favorite watch they actually use while flying. i see the garmins but seem to gimmicky.

I use the clock on my phone. Its been pretty accurate. It also changes time zones by itself.

Sounds like you over paid for that watch.
At an MSRP of over 100,000 I feel like I got a good deal. If it only told time it might be overpriced but it also drives me around and it can run the 1/4 mile in a respectable speed

Gift from the wife...

A close copy of a 1930s era German Aviator's watch. But with a modern movement.

-Skip

edit... oh, mine has only 17 Steine (literally, stones, aka watchmaker's jewels.)

Get offa my lawn..!!! :lol::lol:

Exactly. Plus I don't wear rings or watches to reduce the chance of getting hung up on something when working.

Seen a few pics of degloved fingers from rings. Nasty stuff. Standard practice in military aviation to remove rings but there’s still a few rebels out there.

I've been wearing a Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk Blue Angel watch that my wife gave me for Christmas 10 years ago. The E-6B is frozen and a waste of time, but it works well, sets itself the WWVB (and German and Japanese stations) quite well. Changing time zones easily is the primary reason she chose this particular watch. I travel internationally a number of times a year, so that is very handy.

I've been wearing a Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk Blue Angel watch that my wife gave me for Christmas 10 years ago. The E-6B is frozen and a waste of time, but it works well, sets itself the WWVB (and German and Japanese stations) quite well. Changing time zones easily is the primary reason she chose this particular watch. I travel internationally a number of times a year, so that is very handy.

As far as quartz goes, they are probably my favorite.

At an MSRP of over 100,000 I feel like I got a good deal. If it only told time it might be overpriced but it also drives me around and it can run the 1/4 mile in a respectable speed

Okay now I have to know what vehicle? I mean if it drives you around I want one too. Haha seriously though what you got? I want a hell cat red eye but I'll get tickets so I'll stick to my 14 year old Chevy z71..it too tells time. Speaking of which the hour meter is creeping up on 4500 hrs, time for an OH?

Okay now I have to know what vehicle? I mean if it drives you around I want one too. Haha seriously though what you got? I want a hell cat red eye but I'll get tickets so I'll stick to my 14 year old Chevy z71..it too tells time. Speaking of which the hour meter is creeping up on 4500 hrs, time for an OH?
Nissan GT-R. I like dodge has done in their engine development the last few years.

Exhibit A: The Citizen Eco-Drive is by far one of the toughest watches ever made and never needs maintenance:

ecodrive.jpg

Exhibit B: I have a Tissot T-Touch Titanium, made of polished titanium. I am afraid to wear it because it might get scratched:

Tissot_T_Touch.png

I just picked up one of these babies at Walmart for $26 after reading this thread and getting all excited:

casio.jpg

Timex Expedition, about $35.
Casio Wave Ceptor, about $100.
In both cases, analog display set to local, digital display set to zulu.
808955.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly. Plus I don't wear rings or watches to reduce the chance of getting hung up on something when working.

I don't either.

When I was a teenager, I heard a story from my dad's shop mechanic, probably apocryphal, about a guy he knew that lost a finger when his wedding ring simultaneously touched the output post and case on an alternator. :D

Last edited:
I’m holding out for reviews on one of these Power Watch 2s. If it performs like advertised, I’d get one. From what I’ve read, the original Power Watch wasn’t a very good product though.

https://www.powerwatch.com/

In modern flying, watches are fashion and a hobby. Maybe Neil needed a chronometer, but we don’t.

Having said that, I have a Brietling Aerospace because I’m silly too :p

1*E5NDV_s9ASAYsMQEX12Ogg.jpeg

Back