Watch out for that snowbank

are those ice boots on the front of the wing? I think they are, and at least the pilot doesn't have to worry about the wing icing up.

:rofl:

egads, I hope they were not in the airplane when the lake ice gave in.

And I hope they turn those de-icers off next time after they land.

Ruh-roe. I don't see any footprints or snowcat tracks leading away from the plane......

-Skip

yeah, but, but, it's equipped for flight into known icing conditions...

Old Photos but it makes me cringe every time I see it

It was the first time I saw it. Do you have any of the background info about the mishap? It strikes me as looking like it is up in northern Idaho somewhere. But that is just a SWAG and the person that sent me the photo had no info at all either.

Why is it that when I saw the title of this thread that the first thing that went through my mind was "Watch out for that tree!" from George of the Jungle? :D

If that's the same picture as was making the rounds a few years ago, it was decided that that is a RC model airplane.

Last edited:
If that's the same picture as was making the rounds a few years ago, it was decided that that is a RC model airplane.

Mike, I don't think so. I remember the model plane, probably not RC as it had wingtips with lots of dihedral like the unpowered, hand-launched balsa glider models. I think I have that glider photo at home, and I will post it tonight if my forgettery doesn't interfere.

This one looks real to me.

-Skip

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the same photo used in the FAA safety seminar dealing with flights into icing conditions at KILG a few weeks ago. They said they (I can't remember if 1 or 2)drowned because they could not open the doors.

One of the times this made the rounds, someone posted a link to the NTSB report. It's real.

Back