Watch Out for a Crane at Destin (DTS)

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Browsing through my flight packet this morning, I came across this NOTAM:

OBSTRUCTION/OBSTACLE CRANE (ASN 2015-ASO-18700-OE) 302303N0862726W (1.5NM SE DTS) 335FT (320FT ABOVE GROUND LEVEL) LIGHTED FLAGGED. 05 DEC 23:56 2015 UNTIL 31 MAY 23:59 2017. CREATED: 05 DEC 23:56 2015

I thought, "Well ok that's a tall crane, but it's 1.5nm southeast of the field. So it shouldn't be an issue." Well boys and girls it became a slight issue today landing at DTS. The crane is on the runway centerline, right on a perfect glide slope into 32. We had to sidestep around the crane because it and us can't occupy the same point.

I ended up talking to the line guys about the crazy crane on final. They commented that it's surpising no one has hit the thing yet. The closest guy was last week during a foggy morning. The line guy said a private jet popped out at mins to only notice a orange flag fly past about 20' under them. The pilots apparently didn't read the NOTAMS and shot the GPS to the incorrect MDA.

Be on the look out for the crane if anyone decides to take a trip to Destin in the next few weeks.

Kinda feel like there should be a slight distinction between "1.5nm SE DTS" and "on FINAL APPROACH COURSE" in the NOTAM

This one is pretty scary. I just did the math. With a 3-degree glide path to Runway 32, aircraft over the position of the crane would fly at 346' AGL. I assumed the distance from the beginning of the runway to be 6,614', which is a standard nautical mile plus half the distance of the runway (which is presumably the point from which the crane's distance from the field was measured). With the height of the crane being 320' AGL, that leaves aircraft with 26 feet of clearance. This is the reason the PAPI has been placed out of service.

I would call the airport manager and ask that they place a message on the ASOS about the crane. "Notice to airmen: Crane 1.1 miles from the approach end of Runway 32, 346 feet MSL. (Exercise extreme caution)."

Destin was in my IFR X country trip. A couple of weeks ago. I had just picked up the GPS approach. My CFII said " you better raise your goggles and dodge the crane". I looked up and was amazed to find a crane directly between me and final. Had to literally fly off course and around it. Oh well. Progress. I have a picture my CFII took. But I don't know how to post it.

So can we assume the presence of a tall crane means they are constructing something tall as well? If so, do you know how tall the eventual structure will be?

Is there a local altimeter? Man 20 feet isn't much margin between errors of man and/or machine.

That notam should read ON SHORT FINAL APPROACH FLIGHT PATH.

Heck might be good to NOTAM those approaches out and make that a VFR only runway till the crane is moved

ODP DESTIN EXECUTIVE, DESTIN, FL. TAKEOFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES ORIGINAL-B... TAKEOFF MINIMUMS: RUNWAY 14, 400-1. NOTE: TEMPORARY CRANES BEGINNING 4842 FT FROM DER, 24 FT LEFT OF CENTERLINE, UP TO 320 FT ABOVE GROUND LEVEL/335 FT MEAN SEA LEVEL. ALL OTHER DATA REMAINS AS PUBLISHED. 16 NOV 12:49 2015 UNTIL 14 MAY 12:49 2016 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 16 NOV 12:49 2015

INSTRUMENT APPROACH PROCEDURE DESTIN EXECUTIVE, DESTIN, FL. RNAV (GPS) RUNWAY 32, AMENDMENT 1B... LP MINIMUM DESCENT ALTITUDE 600/HEIGHT ABOVE TOUCHDOWN 580 ALL CATS. VISIBILITY CATS C/D 1 5/8. LNAV MINIMUM DESCENT ALTITUDE 600/HEIGHT ABOVE TOUCHDOWN 580 ALL CATS. VISIBILITY CATS C/D 1 5/8. CIRCLING MINIMUM DESCENT ALTITUDE 640/HEIGHT ABOVE AIRPORT 618 ALL CATS. VISIBILITY CATEGORY C 1 3/4. TEMPORARY CRANE 335 MEAN SEA LEVEL 4842 FT SE OF RUNWAY 32. 16 NOV 12:49 2015 UNTIL 14 MAY 12:49 2016 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 16 NOV 12:49 2015

NOTAMs of the magenta line! :)
Well, it's an RNAV approach, but it's more of a CDI than a magenta line. Not much of a choice with a 1000 foot overcast, though. At least it's an LP approach. LPV minimums would get real high, as the VP would point you right at the crane. 600 feet for an LP isn't THAT bad.

Back