Watch for Deer - - - -

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
- - - - or it could be expensive. About midnight last night, about a mile below my house.

HR

Attachments

• PoA Pole.jpg
    PoA Pole.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 121
  • PoA Pole_2.jpg
    PoA Pole_2.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 95
  • PoA Pole_3.jpg
    PoA Pole_3.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 82
Had one run in front of me on a night takeoff a few weeks ago. Saw it just as I rotated and the landing light shined farther down the runway. Fortunately I was airborne by the time I got to it, but I don't think I missed it by much. :yikes:

I was at a small airshow in Missouri and was offered a ride in a Citabra that was owned by one of the airshow performers. As we taxied out I saw on the runway a long skid mark ending in a squashed Fox. That's what I call one unlucky Fox.

The shot with the Moon in it is rather pretty.

At an airport I land in in Florida quite often, it warns of deer AND alligator in the vicinity!

Way too common around here. I've hit 3, $1k damage on one, negligible on the other 2 (they actually fell down in front of me and I ran over em); my son totaled his car on one, and we had a friend killed when one came through the windshield of her Jeep. There are 5-10 deer killed on the highway very year between my house and the airport.

The first time I flew into Red's Wallowa Horse Ranch a deer ran in front of me on landing and I just barely missed it I expected to see blood and guts hit the windshield, but it just made it. Red's is the strip to the right in this picture.

Attachments

• Red's and Minam landing strips (2).jpg
    Red's and Minam landing strips (2).jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 36
AHHH!
Nothing tastier than grilled venison.:rolleyes:
Here in Michigan ,the State is in such bad shape they don't pick up and dispose of the carcass's anymore. They just leave them there,so now you can really see how many are hit. There's hundreds, now I think all the turkey vultures are moving to Mi. I've come very close to hitting a few of those in the plane.

I nailed a deer north of Hutch about 3 months ago. Only $6,000 to fix the nearly new Toyota. I didn't stop to collect my prize. They don't pick them up here any more, some of the remains get pretty rough.

I'll attempt to maneuver enough to try to avoid collision and failing that, I'll take it through the pax side of the windshield. (Rarely is anyone riding with me so there's no one on that side of the vehicle) There's no way I'm taking oncoming traffic or hard stationary objects over a deer though. To heck with insurance, that's physical injury.

Giant forest rat country in the evening right after sunset on a motorcycle during their migratory season is not amusing in the least. On a 0-10 scale, the pucker factor is about 6 when you can see them and about 14 when you can't.

Had one run out from behind oncoming traffic years ago. Missed it but found deer fur on the quarter panal later that night.

When the late night birds would come back to Loring AFB ME at the end of their flights the SOF (Supervisor of Flying) would have to sweep the runway for moose before they would land the Buffs.

I smacked the back of a deer one night on a touch and go with the Bone. Got that "deer in the headlights" look right at lift off (don't touch the nose down on a T&G in the bone). Felt a smack.

Left the gear down and called the SOF. Check the runway please... he said it was not a pretty sight. So after they cleaned up the runway, we did do a low pass to have the main gear checked.. all looked good (as best you can tell at 120knts and lots of very bright hand held lights shining at you.. so we landed on the next pattern.

...Giant forest rat country in the evening...

I have long ago started thinking of them as rats with hooves.

I used to think deer were cool to see before my first car-deer accident. That was 14 car-deer collisions ago.

They usually run into me.

Last edited:
I nailed a deer north of Hutch about 3 months ago. Only $6,000 to fix the nearly new Toyota. I didn't stop to collect my prize. They don't pick them up here any more, some of the remains get pretty rough.

I had done a night landing and was taxing back to the end of the runway for departure when 3 deer crossed the taxiway in front of me headed towards the runway, close enough for a C-150 taxi light to see. I was at Rancho something or other not far from Sacramento CA about 25 years ago.

That made for one very nervous short field night take off. :yikes:

I had done a night landing and was taxing back to the end of the runway for departure when 3 deer crossed the taxiway in front of me headed towards the runway, close enough for a C-150 taxi light to see. I was at Rancho something or other not far from Sacramento CA about 25 years ago.

That made for one very nervous short field night take off. :yikes:

Rancho Murietta?

Fortunately the only critters I've had problems with at OLM are birds. Got one the day I soloed. They've stayed out of the way since.

Now, the forest rats near my house? I've come real close with my Jeep, but I haven't clipped one yet (knock on wood).

Rancho Murietta?

Fortunately the only critters I've had problems with at OLM are birds. Got one the day I soloed. They've stayed out of the way since.

Now, the forest rats near my house? I've come real close with my Jeep, but I haven't clipped one yet (knock on wood).

That sounds like the place.. I was flying C-150s out of Pheonix Field (011) in Fulsom CA... long since closed...

Found it in the logbook, 3/22/84, N25772, C-150, 011-SAC Metro-Rancho Murietta-011, logged 1.1 night :D

While I was taking the photos the lady was in the Georgetown Fire Department ambulance. Apparently it was precautionary measures because the local paper, later in the day, indicated there had been no injury. It appeared that, there being one serious skid mark, when she dodged the deer one brake locked-up(????) and caused her to veer to the right and into the ditch and pole.(That supposition was voiced to me by one of the safety personnel in attendance) The Saab was totaled.

HR

I make it a habit to have my hand on, or near, the light switch when in deer crossing areas. If I see a deer near the road, I turn out the lights, sound the horn and step on the brakes. I then turn the lights back on. usually the deer get out of the road. With the lights on their eyes they just stand there because they can't see to move. I have done this several times with no hits on deer in the road. I know it sounds crazy.

Giant forest rat country in the evening right after sunset on a motorcycle during their migratory season is not amusing in the least. On a 0-10 scale, the pucker factor is about 6 when you can see them and about 14 when you can't.

At least deer are better then the stray 1/2 ton cows standing in the dark country roads of Jamaica. Unfortunately, "Just hit the cow" is a poor option too, especially for the few bikers who can't see 'em in time.

At least deer are better then the stray 1/2 ton cows standing in the dark country roads of Jamaica.
My college roommate and I were driving down the Baja Peninsula less than a year after the road had been completed. The advice we got was Do Not Drive At Night.

Reason: Stray cattle, snakes, assorted other animals congregate on the road as the asphalt retains the heat in the chilly desert nights. Oh, many of the cars (Detroit products acquired after severe wrecks north of the border) at the time had no functioning headlights. :yikes:

-Skip

At least deer are better then the stray 1/2 ton cows standing in the dark country roads of Jamaica. Unfortunately, "Just hit the cow" is a poor option too, especially for the few bikers who can't see 'em in time.

Never ride faster than you can see.

...and if you see one, stop. There are others! Deer are herd animals.

Minimum count is typically the one you see plus two in the bushes. Of course that one may be the leader of a hundred about to cross the road.

Never try to outguess one on which way it's going to bolt either. They're hard wired to defeat their predators tactics by being absolutely totally unpredictable and not to telegraph their move in any form. When they do the spastic forest rat dance, THEY don't even know which way they're about to go so there's no way you will have a chance of outguessing them. They're just as likely to go straight ahead out of danger as to jump over their own shoulder directly into your path of travel.

Never try to outguess one on which way it's going to bolt either.

Ok. So here's an odd question. Let's say you hit a deer, cow, or other large edible critter and the car is still drivable. Is it dinner?

There used to be... in Maine I think.. that if you hit a deer.. and could salvage the meat.. report it.. and take the meat. Some areas have it that usable meat goes to the local food bank or soup kitchen.

But the cow still belongs to the farmer/rancher and you can expect to pay him for is loss of a live animal, and potential value if sold at market, live on the hoof.

But with the cow, does the rancher want to be found? Presumably he negligently let his cow stroll into the road without supervision, nearly totaled your car, caused you injury & mental harm. Though a 1000 lb cow is tough to pickup or butcher on the road as compensation.

luckily, I have not hit a deer with my truck.... I went deer hunting after thanksgiving and got close to hitting a 10pt buck along the road. I guess deer can cause alot of damage.

It's dinner in Iowa if you request a deer tag and dress it yourself.

Back