Washington: Burlington (area) Meet & Greet

KeyWestPhotog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WingMan
Would anyone near the Burlington, WA or Seattle, WA area like to get together from July 15 - July 22 timeframe?

I'll be in town doing some things, and will have allot of time to burn while I'm there.

Last edited:
Would anyone near the Burlington, WA or Seattle, WA area like to get together from July 8 - July 13 timeframe?

I'll be in town doing some things, and will have allot of time to burn while I'm there.

My Hangar (module 103 in the hangar closest to the 04 numbers) at BVS, We'd like to get together.

That's also the week of the AWO airshow,

Cool, if you pm me your general itinerary, might be able to meet up. So you wish to go to ATP on your profile? For what purpose?

Awesome fellas. It looks as if I will be free from about 1pm on Monday - Thursday. I'll have Friday and Saturday off.

Would love to meet up w/other aviation gurus!

I'm looking at possibly attending the ATP school to start working on my 2nd retirement check.

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

I'd love to come up and join you all, but my wife and I will be off on a cruise that week. Have fun!

Is there anything that I "must do" while in the area? Unless Vancouver can be traveled to w/out a passport... That will be out if the question for me.

Sent from my iPad using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise.

Is there anything that I "must do" while in the area? Unless Vancouver can be traveled to w/out a passport... That will be out if the question for me.
As someone mention, the Arlington Fly-In is that weekend. Can do that in probably a half-day.

http://www.arlingtonflyin.org/

Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Museum is on Paine Field in Everett, a few miles north of Seattle and just a few minutes from Arlington.

http://www.flyingheritage.com/

Boeing runs its factory tours out of its Future of Flight facility, also on Paine Field.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/tours/index.page

Of course, the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field (south edge of Seattle) has a lot of good stuff, including a full-scale Shuttle Trainer and the former Champlain Fighter Museum.

http://www.museumofflight.org/

Pure non-aviation "Touristy" things would include the Space Needle, the Public Market, the Seattle Aquarium, and the Science Fiction Museum and Experience Music Project, a rock-and-roll museum.

The Needle, the SF museum, and the EMP are at Seattle Center which is the former Worlds Fair site. The Monorail dating from the Fair is still in operation, and you can get to the Center from downtown in just ten minutes.

The Public Market is just a few minutes' walk from the Monorail terminal downtown. From there, you can take a tallish bit of stairs down to the waterfront area, where the Aquarium is located.

Other things locally is Lake Union, a mile or two North of the Center... its the terminal for Kenmore Air's floatplane airline, and you see them flying a lot. The Museum of History and Industry just moved to an old Navy armory located on the south end.

http://www.mohai.org/

..and the Center for Wooden Boats is located nearby. There are several good restaurants along the lake, with good views of the water activity (including the floatplanes taking off).

For pure, kischy tourist things, try the Duck Tours (they tour downtown, then go on Lake Union) and the People's Republic of Freemont - lots of interesting statuary, including a troll under a bridge and a 16' tall statue of Lenin (brought back from Czechoslovakia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin,_Seattle

You're too late for the nude bicycling, though.

Ron Wanttaja

You're too late for the nude bicycling, though.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Ron for the guide. I'll pass on the nude bicycling thing though. That's a "way of life" here where I live.

Hey guys, the financier of this X-Country adventure is canceling the trip as he won't make his window on leaving here on time due to our lightning and Thunderstorms.

I am rescheduling the trip for a later date.

Let me know when you get here, we'll see what options are available then.

Sure will Dave. The guy I am flying up there needs some vacation time that he can write off as a business expense.

He loves VFR conditions so I have to bob & weave all the way up there from here.

Dave he has a 2011 Cessna 172. We just now broke the 200 hour mark on it so he wants to stretch its legs on an extended X-Country. He wants to fly no more than 6 hours a day, so I've got to plan it out to where we "inch" our way up there.

6 hours per day is more than enough on a leisure flight for me. Perfect plane for the mission, too.

I've tried many of times to talk him into doing KEYW - 82J, but he has a fear of flying over the water for that type of duration. So I've been limited to flying the coastline with him since he got it.

I'm hoping that him doing this trip will help him break some of that fear, and he puts more faith in the airplane.

Ok fellas, this is the flight plan I worked out with him today. Gotta do 2 hour runs at the most but we will scoot on up there.

Looks to be a good time, and I don't plan on landing at the airports less than 2 hours unless he wants to. I look to arrive in Bellingham on Sunday the 14th.

Washington Flight Plan.jpg

yteja9y6.jpg

Hopefully All this mess on here will be going in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise.

One more leg to go before we stop today. We are on a restroom stop at the moment. We got vectored around some weather today. ATC did a great job.

KPOY is beautiful folks if you haven't seen it. The Airport sits on top of a mountain and over looks the city which is down in the valley.

Pure beauty. Yellowstone Regional is just a few miles southwest of here, and we are debating whether to go visit, or move on right now.

Tomorrow's weather should be great for seeing every thing the great northwest has to offer.

When you get to central Wa. climb until you can see Mt Baker and head directly for it. Bellingham is on the other side of it.

KPOY ??

Why are you so far north?
You should have crossed the Rockies at Casper to Pocatello Id, or Rawlings to Bosie.

Now you must do a high and long crossing Via I-90.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom. We're in Butte, and this area is amazing.

More windy than we are used to, but still amazing.

enu6eza6.jpg

For the pilots who haven't flown in the Pacific Northwest, you are missing out!!

Concrete is this weekend.. now that's a get together.

I'm in a town called Woodway, or something like that. I'm gonna hit the museum of flight, and the pacific museum for the iMax 3d flight tomorrow

Hope you all have a good time. The plane is tied down at KPUW after a nice flight this afternoon from KOLM. Got bounced around a bit coming over the east side of the Cascades, but all in all, not a bad flight. Filed low altitude route (KOLM - WHYTE - YKM - PSC - RENGO - PUW - KPUW) but as I was about to make the turn at WHYTE got -> PUW. Flying /G has its advantages. :yes: According to FlightAware it was 2:08 from takeoff to landing. Sure beat 5 1/2 hours driving.

We'll come back late tomorrow afternoon. Should be back to KOLM about 7 pm.

No pictures, I left the camera at home. Oh well, maybe something with the phone tomorrow.

enu6eza6.jpg

For the pilots who haven't flown in the Pacific Northwest, you are missing out!!

Where else can you get a runway hill with a scoop of ice cream on top?

The flight planner on DUATS said 2:23 from KPUW to KOLM today. FlightAware says that is exactly how long it took. I think I'll leave the numbers I have programmed for the C-172N in the club alone.

Nice flight back home this afternoon. I forgot the camera yesterday, but my wife took a few with my phone today. The first is some random spot in the Palouse Hills. The next is Mt. Adams with Goat Rocks in the foreground. You head right for them on V-204 east bound out of OLM, but turn before you get to them. The third is Mt. Rainier and the fourth is a corn maze on short final to rwy 35 at OLM.

Got bounced around a bit approaching the Cascades from the east and the air smoothed out nicely once we were over tree covered terrain, rather than dry brown ready to burn stuff. Nice route, too. KPUW -> YKM - V-204 - KOLM. /G makes navigation so much easier, and direct. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20130720_163250_814.jpg
    IMG_20130720_163250_814.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20130720_181239_082.jpg
    IMG_20130720_181239_082.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20130720_182649_356.jpg
    IMG_20130720_182649_356.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20130720_185206_100.jpg
    IMG_20130720_185206_100.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Good shots Ghery with a cell phone

I was in Arlington on July 9-16. Did mostly local stuff with friends including the airshow. The weather was gorgeous and we hiked some areas at least 5 times. I will be back when we build a guest cottage on their property. Just don't know when. When I do come back we are going to travel out to the islands somewhere for a night or two.

On this trip I had the chance to sit down and conversation with Tom D, and Dave K from here on the boards.

2 knowledgeable folks in their areas of flying, and it amazes me the hospitality of these 2 individuals.

Visiting with these guys and their families across the past several days just ensures to me that out of all the "clicks" and communities throughout the world, Pilots still are on top!!

On this trip I had the chance to sit down and conversation with Tom D, and Dave K from here on the boards.

2 knowledgeable folks in their areas of flying, and it amazes me the hospitality of these 2 individuals.

Visiting with these guys and their families across the past several days just ensures to me that out of all the "clicks" and communities throughout the world, Pilots still are on top!!
It was a pleasure having you.

You speak the truth, great to have you around and congrats again on the long flight XC.

Back