Washing Aircraft

Jack

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Arrow66J
I am 17 and just got my PPL cert 2 weeks ago, and now I need a way to pay for flying. I want to set up a stand at my local fly in breakfasts to was aircraft. My question for you guys is, would you pay to have your aircraft washed at a breakfast and are my prices reasonable?

Low Wing - $35
High Wing - $40
Twin - $50
Anything Larger - $75

This would include a basic interior vacuuming, all the windows, oil and grease on the bottom of the aircraft, etc.

Yup...heck, I might fly over just for that if it was near me! I am surprised that there are not more aircraft washing options around. My home field is a PITA as we are not supposed to use anything other than water in the washout area.

Yup...heck, I might fly over just for that if it was near me! I am surprised that there are not more aircraft washing options around. My home field is a PITA as we are not supposed to use anything other than water in the washout area.

That would be a long flight out to NY to get your plane washed:)

Your prices are reasonable and I'd take you up on it if I lived closer. I was just there in Syracuse a few days ago. Not by choice but because American Airlines sucks.

More than 20 years ago I washed planes as a flight instructor. I did the top side for free, including debugging the windshield and leading edges, then add a 1 to the front of your prices for top and bottom, another 25% to add interior which included but not limited to, vacuum, windows and cleaning carpets. It took anywhere from 3 to 6 hours for a complete detail, depending on plane and how dirty it was.

For an extra price I would de-oxidize the paint and wax the plane.

I had a lot of complaints about the price but no one was ever not happy with the job I did. It pays to give the customer more than what was on the list.

Don't have any info on the prices but there are a few particulars about the job I'm sure others here would fill you in on if so requested. Ie precautions so as to avoid damage to various parts, these are not 'cars with wings' sort of idea. For eg, how are you going to do windows?
All meant in a positive manner to assist you with a successful business.
Know how to handle pitot tubes, static ports, fabric or wood aircraft?

The going rate for an outside wash with bottom degrease with wheel paints is $90 in my neck of the woods. nothing inside. Got to love SoCal... But they did have DI water and did a great job!... now if the Airport would pay for this as they are working on the field and making a ton of dust... $450 for a full de-ox and wax the first time, $280 after that...

Don't have any info on the prices but there are a few particulars about the job I'm sure others here would fill you in on if so requested. Ie precautions so as to avoid damage to various parts, these are not 'cars with wings' sort of idea. For eg, how are you going to do windows?
All meant in a positive manner to assist you with a successful business.
Know how to handle pitot tubes, static ports, fabric or wood aircraft?

I know how to handle and wash the aircraft, been doing my fathers 7 aircraft since I have been able to reach, ranging from a 1945 Aeronca Champ, the 69 Arrow that I fly, and our Lancair IV, and the majority of the people at these breakfasts have met/know me from being in aviation in this area since I was born.

CONGRATS on getting your wings!!

A wash and wax at my airport is 350.00

Heck yeah $35 to wash my plane! Id pay that once a month easily, maybe once a week. Might be too reasonable. haha

Your prices are reasonable. Maybe too reasonable. It's $250 for a wash by me. If I found someone to do it at that price I'd never wash my own plane again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

VERY fair prices, I'd almost think about raising those up a little.

Another thought, if you can save up for a small trailer and a compressor, you can make some good money as a mobile detailer.

Supreme deal. Your prices are low. But many will also be wary of prices that low because they'll know you aren't bonded or insured and if you damage the aircraft, they know they got exactly what they paid for.

Just be prepared for those who will respond with "Nobody washes myairplane except me."

Especially if you have a power washer which is a really bad idea on airplanes.

And i'm one who will say that.

Just be prepared for those who will respond with "Nobody washes my airplane airplane except me."

Especially if you have a power washer which is a really bad idea on airplanes.

And i'm one of those.

He washing planes, really insurance?

I guess for those who are scared of any chance in life.

But info agree, I'd almost double the prices, your demographic will actually feel better paying a little more.

Pfffff.....I use a power washer too. YOu must not be doin it right. :D

I'm not skeeerd of nuttin'. Ask those here who have met me. I just don't take the responsibility of flying lightly.

I'm not skeeerd of nuttin'. Ask those here who have met me. I just don't take the responsibility of flying lightly.

He's not shooting an ILS in icing conditions with "the children" in the back of the plane, he's scrubbing bugs and grime off airplanes, as long as he knows what products to use, which is readily available info, he's fine.

Anything Larger - $75

You'll do a 737 for $75? A few airlines want your number! ;)

Be sure you have anything needed to prevent water spots. Those prices are very reasonable. Probably good for a start, but if you get serious about it you could easily bump those up. It takes a good 2-3 hours (depending on how bad the belly is) to do a thorough wash on a 182.

Good luck!

I will probably up my prices a bit, and I am going to do a test run on our arrow and our 150 to get a feel of how long it takes me.

Looks like a good deal, your looking to due a lot of work for short money.

I'm never one to discourage a young entrepreneur but...

Get good insurance, lots of it.

I don't know but what's he going to do when he scratches a windscreen or hangs a rag on a VOR antenna and breaks it?

It would take a lot of washes to make up for an "oops" like that.

And those are some of the cheaper "oops".

Well, yeah, it's called aviation insurance.

And I know my airplane. I'm not a stranger to it.

If you know what you're doing, and use proper techniques, those aren't possible issues.

I don't know but what's he going to do when he scratches a windscreen or hangs a rag on a VOR antenna and breaks it?
Like I've said, I've washed many airplanes and know how to work around them, considering I've helped my dad build more than one and have to clean the ones I fly, I was more interested on my price range.

Let us know when you start your business! I'm within flying distance

If you were in my area I would have you wash my plane 2X a month. I would even pre pay you for six months so I could lock in that price.

Like I've said, I've washed many airplanes and know how to work around them, considering I've helped my dad build more than one and have to clean the ones I fly, I was more interested on my price range.
I hear you young man. And don't get me wrong, I greatly admire your ambition and entrepreneurial spirit. I have no doubt that you are responsible and will be extremely careful. But feces occurs. And when it does it can be extremely expensive when you're dealing with airplanes. That's all I'm saying.

Back