Was the TSA Listening?

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Note: Aviation related due to TSA's proposed LASP rule and other known and unknown attacks on General Aviation.

“As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our Founding Fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake.”

From President Obama’s Inaugural Address 1/20/2009

I hope the TSA was listening.

TSA believes that they're the only Americans that should be brave. ....

I'm truly hoping he backs up that lofty verbiage with intelligent action.

I don't think the TSA "leaders" are bright enough to figure it out.

Note: Aviation related due to TSA's proposed LASP rule and other known and unknown attacks on General Aviation.

“As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our Founding Fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake.”

You *are* joking...right?

Lance, I thought the EXACT same thing as I was watching it.

You *are* joking...right?

Not sure what you're getting at, Jay. I guess I don't expect the TSA to have been listening, but hopefully some of the folks with oversight of the DHS will be listening.

I hope Craig Fuller really gets Obama to understand how GA can help the economy AND how GA is unfairly targeted by the bureaucratic monster that is the TSA.

How many things change depends largely on how many appointees at the DHS have burrowed into career positions.

Whether you agree with the politics or not, I don't see how anyone can argue we can afford to pay TSA workers to hang around general aviation airports doing nothing all day.

Jon

Way way WAY too subtle.
The system is too entrenched for that kind of implied behavior anyway. Besides, it's been over 200 years since a leader has rocked the boat of the resident authority to the point it was taking on water.

Not sure what you're getting at, Jay. I guess I don't expect the TSA to have been listening, but hopefully some of the folks with oversight of the DHS will be listening.

The TSA and DHS won't just 'go away'... I've never known a government agency to just disappear on its own. Best we can hope for is that those that direct the policy at DHS and TSA will get their ears bent -- and policy driven -- by those that aren't so intent on destroying civil liberties under the banner of national security of the "homeland" (which sounds a little Germanic to me, if you know what I mean). I thought we were America, not "the Homeland".

The TSA and DHS won't just 'go away'... I've never known a government agency to just disappear on its own. Best we can hope for is that those that direct the policy at DHS and TSA will get their ears bent -- and policy driven -- by those that aren't so intent on destroying civil liberties under the banner of national security of the "homeland" (which sounds a little Germanic to me, if you know what I mean). I thought we were America, not "the Homeland".

"They had to be very careful picking that name: 'Homeland Security'.
They couldn't say Fatherland because a lot of the old Germans
are going: 'Dat's a goot vone!'

But Homeland sounds like Homefront Security, which was England
during WWII. Old men with pitchforks and colostomy bags,
defending England! There they were...'I threw my colostomy bag,
covered him in ****e and said 'Get off of that ****er,
you ****er, get out'" --Robin Williams Live on Broadway

The new Secretary of Transportation is not one I would put a lot of faith in. More on that later.

Say what, Mike? Tell why.

I at least have access to him....and have had so over the years. He is a very nuts and bolts kinda guy. Not an idealogue, but a "how to do it....what didn't work....what not to do again...." kinda man.

Last edited:
The TSA and DHS won't just 'go away'... I've never known a government agency to just disappear on its own.

I felt the same way about the RTC. I was shocked when it did, in fact, go away. I worked on a big, big S&L case with the RTC - what a rat hole. I can only hope that gov't would/could have the balls to trash the TSA and their spiffy new unis.

Say what, Mike? Tell why.

I at least have access to him....and have had so over the years. He is a very nuts and bolts kinda guy. Not an idealogue, but a "how to do it....what didn't work....what not to do again...." kinda man.

I figured you knew him.

The slam is him being a Illinois combine Celini guy. They never ran an opponent to him.

He'll have the control of whatever $billions will go to road and bridge infrastructure.

Got this in my email this morning. I think you can read between the lines that TSA is not going away. My fear is that more of DHS will become TSA like and not that TSA will become more like the better parts of TSA

Subj: MESSAGE FROM SECRETARY JANET NAPOLITANO -003/09

1. FYI:

MEMORANDUM FOR: Department of Homeland Security Employees

Secretary, Department of Homeland Security

I would like to introduce myself and thank you for the opportunity to
serve with you at the Department of Homeland Security. I am honored to
take on this new role and continue the important work begun by my
predecessors to protect our borders, safeguard our infrastructure, and
improve our Nation's abilities to prevent, respond to, and recover from
natural and manmade hazards.

As the former governor of Arizona, a state that shares a border with
Mexico, I have worked closely with the Department on issues such as
border-security and immigration. As the former chair of the National
Governors Association, I have worked both in Arizona and with my
colleagues across the country on disaster preparedness, emergency
management and recovery efforts.

The establishment of the Department is an impressive accomplishment, and
you have provided a good foundation upon which to build. Yet, as we
reflect on those achievements, there is still much work to be done.

Our goal must be to integrate all of the Department's Components into
"One DHS." Each organization that became part of DHS brought its legacy
of service, achievement, and innovation, and that heritage has
contributed and will continue to contribute to the Department's
greatness. By sharing our strengths we can and will achieve the shared
sense of mission that will ensure we are doing everything we can to
protect this great Nation.

I look forward to getting to know you; to tapping into your history,
your knowledge, your hard work and your dedication; and to working with
you to make the Department the best it can be.

Back