Was My Class III Denied?

RBBailey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RBBailey
I came back to aviation after a 22 year break for not having the $$$$$$!, and when I went to get my Class III, I ended up getting deferred because they thought I had some kind of heart condition. I don't. I spent the next four years trying to prove it to the FAA that I don't.

Initially, upon my deferment, I basically gave up. What did I know? I haven't been in this for two decades. But I started asking around, and realized that I might still have a chance. While I was trying to get in touch with Oklahoma City to clarify things, my timeline ran out. I got a letter to that effect from the FAA, but the way it was worded made me think that there may still be a chance. I hired another AME/Lawyer who said there should be no problem. But it got deferred again because they said they needed more than a 12 lead EKG and long term monitor results. So I begged my insurance company to help with the tests to disprove the FAA's diagnosis (both AMEs gave me a pass with complements on how healthy I was at 46-48 years old) and to their credit, they agreed: I was able to see a cardiologist, and went through a complete battery of stress tests, long term, short term, and every other kind of heart test -- nothing to report. All good. So I got a third AME, and five months later they issued my Class III. No questions asked on the last one. No communications at all from them on that third attempt. They simply sent a letter five months after my examination to say that they agreed to my Class III.

Now I'm thinking of going for my Class II in order to possibly pick up on Commercial work, or to start work as a CFI again in the future, but in the meantime, I want to secure my BasicMed because I just don't trust this system not to do this to me again.

But to get a BasicMed, you must not have had your last/current Class III "denied, suspended, revoked, or withdrawn." So.... is this me?

FWIW, you can flight instruct with a 3rd class or when operating under BasicMed. That said, many FBOs also use their instructors to conduct non-flight training part 91 operations so a 2nd class would be necessary for those types of ops.

You state you currently hold a Class III medical without a special issuance. There should be no problem getting a Class II. You qualify for Basic Med and can use the Basic Med to get a commercial and CFI certificates. You may flight instruct with basic med. You will need a Class II for exercise commercial privileges.

OK, thanks, It sounds like I'll move forward with the BasicMed, then get the Class II when/if I need it.

I hadn't realized that I could do Commercial and CFI work with Basic, but I guess it's all about when and how you are carrying passengers. I'm currently Commercial SEL, MEL, IFR; but my CFI lapsed in 1999. I am toying with the idea of going for a CFI again as I get close to retirement and want to keep busy.

It appears to me the trouble with investigating class two while you have basic med is if you fail it appears to me you can no longer get basic med.

I instruct with basic med and find joy in only dealing with it once every four years (taking the knowledge test every two years).

Every time I applied for a class two medical I was concerned that I would not answer some question correctly or some part of my health would fall below standards.

The reduced stress has probably lowered my blood pressure.

I am 74 and an active flight instructor.

It appears to me I cannot do commercial work with basic med.

I am grateful for each day that I am able to fly.

Last edited:
I hope I can stay in the air till I'm 74! I feel like I've missed out on a lot over the last 20+ years...

You state you currently hold a Class III medical without a special issuance. There should be no problem getting a Class II.
Yep. 4 years of “prove to us you don’t have a heart condition you never had“ with a deferral after professionals say “no problem” sure inspires confidence. After that, I would keep as far away as I possibly could from the FAA medical branch.

I hadn't realized that I could do Commercial and CFI work with Basic, but I guess it's all about when and how you are carrying passengers
CFI is OK on Basicmed as I understand it, but for other commercial work you need a class II.

OK, thanks, It sounds like I'll move forward with the BasicMed, then get the Class II when/if I need it.

I hadn't realized that I could do Commercial and CFI work with Basic, but I guess it's all about when and how you are carrying passengers. I'm currently Commercial SEL, MEL, IFR; but my CFI lapsed in 1999. I am toying with the idea of going for a CFI again as I get close to retirement and want to keep busy.
CFI work yes. Commercial work, no. Except for CFI, the rules say BasicMed only applies to private pilot privileges.

OK, I think this is my final question about this. Kind of the same question, just specific to the exact way the form looks.

The 8700-2 form asks: "Has your FAA Airman Medical Certificate ever been denied, suspended, revoked, or withdrawn?" with a YES or NO check box.

My first Class III exam was July, 2020. This one was followed a few months later with a request for documents, which at the time I did not have, nor did I know how to get, largely because everything was closed for COVID. The time ran out on that, but as mentioned above, when they notified me that the time had run out, they also mentioned that I could apply again. I applied again in February of 2022. Again they asked for documents, and this time I was ready. They asked for more, I got more, then in June, they gave me the Class III.

So my CURRENT Class III is valid, but I'm wondering if they want this answered YES because of what happened to my 2020 application -- or do they only care about the current status?

Again, thanks for helping me get clarification on these details.

Not a medical expert, but I note that you were "deferred", which is not on that list that they want reported.

OK, I think this is my final question about this. Kind of the same question, just specific to the exact way the form looks.

The 8700-2 form asks: "Has your FAA Airman Medical Certificate ever been denied, suspended, revoked, or withdrawn?" with a YES or NO check box.

My first Class III exam was July, 2020. This one was followed a few months later with a request for documents, which at the time I did not have, nor did I know how to get, largely because everything was closed for COVID. The time ran out on that, but as mentioned above, when they notified me that the time had run out, they also mentioned that I could apply again. I applied again in February of 2022. Again they asked for documents, and this time I was ready. They asked for more, I got more, then in June, they gave me the Class III.

So my CURRENT Class III is valid, but I'm wondering if they want this answered YES because of what happened to my 2020 application -- or do they only care about the current status?

Again, thanks for helping me get clarification on these details.
When your medical was deferred and you did not respond to the request for documentation, it was denied. You then reapplied later on. Your current medical is valid, but you did previously have a medical denied.

OK, so I did the form, took it to my doctor, got the physical.
Now I take the course, take a quiz, and at the end of the quiz I submit the form somehow? Just want to have everything ready once I start the course.
This info is sent to the FAA, I assume, but I keep the course certificate, and my form that has been completed by the doctor? And from what I have seen, I can have scans of these on my phone in lieu of keeping it in my flight bag?

Juuuuuuust making sure... since it seems too easy.... this is the FAA, after all.

Now I take the course, take a quiz, and at the end of the quiz I submit the form somehow? Just want to have everything ready once I start the course.
This info is sent to the FAA, I assume,.....

No, you do NOT submit that form to the FAA. Just keep it in your logbook. One of the beauties of Basic Med is that medical info is between you and your physician; none of it goes to the FAA at all.

When you complete the quiz, you'll plug in the date of your physical exam and the doctor's name and license number. The quiz provider (Mayo or AOPA) informs the FAA that you've completed the process and the FAA then indicates your status in the Airman Registry (eventually).

Your most recently issued medical certificate supersedes any previous denials, suspensions, and/or revocations. You're good to go for BasicMed.

He is good for basic med. If however at a later date he applies for a class II and is denied his basic med is no longer valid.

Back