Was I doing VOR right?

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
Ok, so today I went up for a solo flight to work on my VOR skills, I worked on tracking a VOR with the TO and FROM flags. On the 180, I have two Navs and two VOR gauges. The top one looks like this

aac.sized.jpg

and the bottom one looks like this.

R22_VOR.jpg

So here's what I did. I got the VOR freq, turned it on both radios, and listened for the ident. After I made sure I had the correct VOR, I turned the top one to the radial that I wanted to track. I then turned the second one to the radial that I was currently on. So I compare the two and I made my turn (with various bank) until the two VOR gauges were in sync, and I made sure that my heading indicator was in sync with the gauges. So once the two VORs were in line with the radial that I wanted, and my heading indicator was right, I basically followed the VOR in until I pass over it and it went from TO to FROM. Did I track the VOR the right way or use it in a right way at all?

yea that sounds about right. enjoy the Garmin.

The top indicator, the OBI for the Garmin, has the green "GPS" flag. If you were tracking a radial or bearing from a VOR, you'd want that to be on "VLOC" indicating that the indicator was reading the nav radio, not the GPS.

The top indicator, the OBI for the Garmin, has the green "GPS" flag. If you were tracking a radial or bearing from a VOR, you'd want that to be on "VLOC" indicating that the indicator was reading the nav radio, not the GPS.

I just googled VOR gauges and that was the image closes to the one that have on the Cherokee 180.

Are you teaching yourself to fly? Your CFI is the one to ask about this stuff (though nothing wrong with posting here, of course!). I got most of that info in ground school, and made the switch from intellectual to practical knowledge with the CFI.

Back