Wanted: Test pilots

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
Hi,

I've just finished some extensive tidying up at my AvClicks IFR training website and could use some feedback in the following areas:
  1. The flash tutorials have been converted to HTML5 and I've tested them with an iPad. Would like to know if Androids and Blackberrys render ok. There are a couple of glitches, worth a chuckle if you see them, which I've reported to the software vendor and awaiting a reply.
  2. WebRoot, a cloud-based A/V product flagged my site as "suspicious", according to a friend. I never have any such warnings and access the site a lot. I talked to Yahoo!, my hosting service and they assured me the site is not hacked. I've asked WebRoot why they've flagged it. I'd be curious if anybody else experiences issues.
  3. Most needed is somebody who hasn't started their instrument training yet and is willing to go through the tutorials, following the advice in the Introduction, and then take a practice test at their favorite test-prep site and report the results. At this point, although I'm nowhere near finished, I do think that there is enough content to earn a passing grade.
When I set out to make these lessons a couple years ago, I wanted to do it in a different way than usual. Instead of reading a dry textbook or watching boring DVDs over and over again, I wanted students to connect to the FAA's published resources via a conversational scenario-based format. I purposely wanted to avoid multi-media style presentations where the information flashes past their eyes and ears faster than a speeding train. I chose PowerPoint as the medium and tried to make every line of text have a singular thought while maintaining a conversational style like you would have with your own instructor. The information stays in view until you're satisfied, then you click ahead, one animation at a time, completely at your own pace--just the opposite of a DVD where you need to pause if you want to contemplate, but probably don't. At AvClicks you need to click the Play/Pause button to advance.

The AvClicks Player has a drawing tool in case you want to go over the presentations with your instructor (or just doodle :))

There's more to come, but what I've already published amounts to a primer that covers the basics. The most important (and longest) tutorial is the very first one, IMO, An IFR Pilot's Mindset. Instrument-rated pilots may well find the tutorials good refresher training from a different perspective than they're used to.

Thanks.

Dave Tuuri

Last edited:
1. Worked fine on my Android Samsung Galaxy S3.

2. More than likely it's just some mistake or problem with their algorithm that finds suspicious sites. However, it could be that they're just trying to get money out of you to get unlisted. I've run into that before with a company called Barracuda blocking our work email. They wanted some money to "make the problem go away". Absolutely disgusting how this is still considered legal.

3. I volunteer. I'm on a slow track to get my IFR but will probably breeze though your site pretty quickly. From what I saw it looked informative and well thought-out. A little bit of 90's style web design but nothing terrible. :p

I get " Sorry the presentation's creator disabled viewing the presentation at this domain" on my droid Razr. I can read the blog and comments section fine. But not the intro or part1. It works on my pc.

A little bit of 90's style web design but nothing terrible. :p

LOL! Seems like I've been working on it since the 90's. To me, the pages serve mostly as place-holders until the content is finished which shouldn't be too much longer. Then I'll let a pro do it.

dtuuri

I forgot to ask if anybody has links to funny aviation scenes from old movies. I've linked to Laurel & Hardy's The Flying Deuces and a few others for comedic relief between tutorials and I'd really like to find a clip from It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World's flying scenes with Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney and Jim Backus. Especially where the Twin Beech flies through the billboard. Any others you can think of would be great. I've Googled until my eyes got bleary, but I can't find much.

Thanks.

dtuuri

Last edited:
I forgot to ask if anybody has links to funny aviation scenes from old movies. I've linked to Laurel & Hardy's The Flying Deuces and a few others for comedic relief between tutorials and I'd really like to find a clip from It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World's flying scenes with Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney and Jim Backus. Especially where the Twin Beech flies through the billboard. Any others you can think of would be great. I've Googled until my eyes got bleary, but I can't find much.

Thanks.

dtuuri

I would open it up to old war movies, too. They don't all have to be funny.

I can tell you that on a BlackBerry Curve 9310, I can't scroll down past the first row of the table on http://www.avclicks.com/lessons.html. The page ends at that </tr>, lines 101 and 102 as I'm viewing your source:

HTML:
<td style="border:1px solid #800080" align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCFF" height="118" width="188"><!-- IE valign workaround --><!--$begin exclude$--><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="118" width="188"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><!--$end exclude$--><span class="text"><b><font color="#800080" size="4"><span style="font-size:18px;line-height:22px;">Online<br>Resources<br soft=""></span></font></b></span><!--$begin exclude$--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--$end exclude$--></td> </tr>
The last thing visible is the "Online Resources" link.

I'm not sure whether you intend the site be viewable on less-than-cutting-edge BBs, anyway. I doubt there's a huge contingent of pilots using Curves.

-Rich

I get " Sorry the presentation's creator disabled viewing the presentation at this domain" on my droid Razr. I can read the blog and comments section fine. But not the intro or part1. It works on my pc.

Yellow Bird? Nice :lol:

Thank you for that feedback... and Welcome to this forum! I've reported that to the HTML5 conversion developers and await their response with breath baited. I'll let you know. FWIW, the tutorials are restricted to only play from my domain avclicks.com in order to protect my content. If you download the file it isn't supposed to work and that's the message you get. In fact, I can't even check them from my own PC unless I upload to the website first.

Yellow Bird? Nice :lol:
:confused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBbgZauYL1Q :dunno:

dtuuri

Last edited:

I can tell you that on a BlackBerry Curve 9310, I can't scroll down past the first row of the table on http://www.avclicks.com/lessons.html. The page ends at that </tr>, lines 101 and 102 as I'm viewing your source:

HTML:
<td style="border:1px solid #800080" align="center" bgcolor="#CCCCFF" height="118" width="188"><!-- IE valign workaround --><!--$begin exclude$--><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="118" width="188"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><!--$end exclude$--><span class="text"><b><font color="#800080" size="4"><span style="font-size:18px;line-height:22px;">Online<br>Resources<br soft=""></span></font></b></span><!--$begin exclude$--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--$end exclude$--></td> </tr>
The last thing visible is the "Online Resources" link.

I'm not sure whether you intend the site be viewable on less-than-cutting-edge BBs, anyway. I doubt there's a huge contingent of pilots using Curves.

-Rich

I tested my own browser here and scored a low 128, yet I have no problems (IE 9.0): http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html

My sister-in-law has a Droid and had a problem when she returned to my home page (little animated airplane didn't reload) and she couldn't open the tutorials either. So, I asked a couple of "experts"--two young clerks working at the Family Dollar who were talking about cell phones when I was making a purchase. According to them, it's "almost impossible to upgrade an older android to a newer browser or operating system." They also said, "Chrome and FireFox browsers can be downloaded." They also said, "Any time you have a question about phones, just ask a young person like us." :) There ya, go... real good advice.

dtuuri

But next time I see him that's the song I am going to sing. :rofl:[/QUOTE] by Mr. Fred aka myassisdragon

Wow, I can't wait for this performance.:rofl:

Back