Wanted Slick mags 4370/4371

taters

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Taters
If anyone has a serviceable pair of these please PM me

Or throw them away and buy a pair of real mags- Bendix.

Slick has forgotten how to build mags since 2006. They have multiple service bulletins to inspect and replace bad points, distributor blocks, and coils. I do not run them in my plane, and I recommend Bendix mags to my customers. The current crop of Slick (now Champion) parts barely lasts 250 hours.

That's why they have dried up on the used market, there simply aren't enough good ones to go around.

Or throw them away and buy a pair of real mags- Bendix.

Slick has forgotten how to build mags since 2006. They have multiple service bulletins to inspect and replace bad points, distributor blocks, and coils. I do not run them in my plane, and I recommend Bendix mags to my customers. The current crop of Slick (now Champion) parts barely lasts 250 hours.

That's why they have dried up on the used market, there simply aren't enough good ones to go around.

The classified ads is not the place to voice opinions. ;)

not opinions, just facts. Look for yourself there are multiple service bulletins against Slick mags since 2004, and more since 2006.

I can list them, but there are at least four, and some limit the time in service to 250 hours. Anyone buying a used Slick mag should be questioning the status of the parts, or get hosed in the process. Or lose the mag in flight, which is a serious issue. Some of the failures cause the mag to misfire cylinders as the spark jumps across the distributor block, which can cause substantial loss of power.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with slicks, other than the OEM parts costs, is the soft carbon brush ordeal which is actually easy to spot.

not opinions, just facts. Look for yourself there are multiple service bulletins against Slick mags since 2004, and more since 2006.

I can list them, but there are at least four, and some limit the time in service to 250 hours. Anyone buying a used Slick mag should be questioning the status of the parts, or get hosed in the process. Or lose the mag in flight, which is a serious issue. Some of the failures cause the mag to misfire cylinders as the spark jumps across the distributor block, which can cause substantial loss of power.

Then start a new thread voicing your concerns. The man is looking for Slick mags, not asking for an opinion. ;)

You might be right, you might be wrong, I don't care. It is rude to take over a thread where someone posts a wanted item in the classified section and a fight breaks out over the quality of the item.

i really doubt taters wants to replace the slicks with bendix, then have one plane with bendix and one with slicks.

Sitting about 3 miles from KLNK is two used magnetos, 4371 and 4370, a bag containing new points, new capacitors, new carbon brushes, new cams. I think new oil seals too. The distributor blocks have already been cleaned and inspected. One distrubtor gear should be replaced ($70) or use a salvage one.

A total of 3 usable coils and one (or two I forget) brand new aftermarket ones.

I also have a pile of 63XX slick mag parts.

I even have a pretty decent Skytronics PMA ignition harness for the 43xx mags.

All removed from the Cardinal due to Dad's preferences.

Last edited:
Slick are OK when they're built properly. The SBs address quality control issues that any mechanic can correct if he isn't afraid to tackle them. It would be nice, of course, if they didn't have to come off to get fixed all the time.

The bad carbon brush wasn't a bad brush; it was a misalignment of the coil tab that forced the brush off center and made it wear against the rotor shaft bore. In severe cases it caused burning of the plastic rotor bearing mount and would result in misfiring. The points cam problem came about when Slick "improved" the cam material. Recent problems with points had to do with the silver contact material. And I have encountered issues with the plastic gears in the mag wearing because the small gear wasn't pushed onto the shaft all the way.

Once all that is fixed, the mag runs just fine. I had hoped that Champion would have been able to stop the errors and prevent any more, but I suppose not. They still can't make a spark plug that's anywhere near as good as the old Auburn plug.

Dan

Back