Wanted: CFII for trip

I could post this in the Classifieds section, but then you guys wouldn't be able to tell me what a stupid idea this is.

I am looking for a CFII to accompany me on a trip from central Illinois to Boise at the end of September. I want to go visit a friend. I want to fly myself. I want to get started on my IR. Why not put all three together? It may not be the most efficient way to learn IR during a long trip across the country, but taking a CFII with me also gives me a better chance of not having to cancel the trip due to weather.

Aircraft is my personal Piper PA32R (Lance). It has a 530W and a NAV2, although I am not sure the NAV head is working. I am going to ask my avionics shop about that on Monday when they do the pitot/static check.

Dates are September 21 to October 2. We can do a day or two of fundamentals at my home base before we leave. I would like to be in Boise before dinner on the 24th. We would leave Boise on the 28th and make a side trip to Logan Utah. After getting back to Illinois we could then do another day or two of air work. While in Boise you would be free to do whatever you want.

Route I made is my best effort at avoiding the high MEA areas. Looks like this and is subject to change: 3MY BFF V100 MBW V6 CKW V4 OCS KEMM 4150N11100W U78 ALKAL KBOI. Basically fly to Wyoming and then follow I80 until breaking off to go over Big Bear Lake between the bigger rocks.

I have about 225 hours of total time and over half of it is cross country time. The only instrument flying I have is my PPL 3 hours. I have studied for the IR written but have not taken any practice tests or (obviously) the real one. I need to get back at it.

Anyone interested? Stupid idea? Terrible way to learn IR?
Can you have your written completed by 21 September?

dont know about CFI rates... but i know 2 pro pilots who are also CFII, one charges $400 + hotel food etc, the other charges $300 per day plus hotel + food (this person primarily does ferry flights), both have gazilion of hours and real world experience.

someone suggested above, if you want to keep the cost down, fly that person back home and fly him again to wherever you are via commercial unless you plan on flying everyday there as well

Back