Want to Start Flying Again.

LmannyR

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Luis R
I haven't flown in over 10 years and want to get back into it again. How should I start? I have about 150 hours all Single Engine Land with about 20 hours of hood time. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you already have your PPL? Find a flight school/CFI they should be able to answer all your questions.

Welcome to POA, get an instructor and get a BFR done. Read up on airspace. Not really a big thing.

I took a sabattical several decades ago, then got back to it after business significantly improved. I would suggest two things:

Don't dive in with both feet, and spend a fortune right off the bat. If you first find a CFI you like, and who can fit you in around your schedule, then go back a couple of hours a week, until you are sure it's what you thought it was going to be for you.

There are reasons people stop flying, and sometimes those reasons reoccur and you stop again. So I would suggest you try not to spend a fortune until you're sure.

Luis, first welcome to Pilots of America! Second, there are folks that post on POA from all over the country and world so if you tell us where you live (general area) I am sure that there is a POAer that might be able to give you some direction as to a good place to get some refresher training.

Do you already have your PPL? Find a flight school/CFI they should be able to answer all your questions.

Yes. Got it with almost the minimums hours. Flew for fun all over AZ. Then Moved back home to FL and flew some more for fun. Then went to school to get a career. Got married and kids (life) came along too. Been working successfully now for 9 years and got into boating during that time. Boating became WAY TOO expensive cause I couldn't settle. I kept moving up in boat size till it sat on the trailer (trailer queen) for 6 months at a time. Boat is on it's way out and now want to get back into my real passion again.

I stopped flying cause I couldn't afford to boat and fly at the same time. Wife is tired of hitting the same sand bars, and cruising the same waterways and said boat has to go. She has family in Pennsylvania and Tennessee. She wanted an RV at first but likes the idea of shortening our drive times from 12+ HOURS to flying a few hours.

The plan is to build an experimental or buy used certified. I'm leaning toward experimental due to the DIY tinker personality in me. I FIX everything I can. I RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH and get advise from those who have more wisdom than me for a particular project then I FIX. Don't like the idea of building for years but also don't like to put my families life in someone else's hands (aircraft mechanic, car mechanic, etc...).

So for now, I plan to rent but wasn't sure what to expect. Hopefully it'll be like riding a bike and it will all just come back to me. Any tips that can help me refresh and get the logbook signed off quickly but safely would be great.

wheeww.. that was long winded.....

Luis, first welcome to Pilots of America! Second, there are folks that post on POA from all over the country and world so if you tell us where you live (general area) I am sure that there is a POAer that might be able to give you some direction as to a good place to get some refresher training.

Treasure Coast, FL

Witham Field (KSUA) is the closest airport.

I haven't flown in over 10 years and want to get back into it again. How should I start? I have about 150 hours all Single Engine Land with about 20 hours of hood time. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Show up at the airports and start talking to the available operators and interview them to establish which one is most compatible with your desires. Once you figure out where you want to be flying out of (I give heavy weight to large fleets to maximize my ability to schedule when I want) call them up and book a flight review.

The other issue you need to consider is a Medical. If you have any reason to doubt your ability to pass a medical, you may want to find a place that rents planes you can fly under sport pilot rules, and get together with an advanced AME to get your medical application all set up and complete at initial submission. There is also a change in the rules coming about that will eliminate the need for a third class for Pt 91 <6000lb gross weight. So if there is a medical issue, you may just want to wait this out and just fly dual in the mean time and work on your IR ticket while you get back in the swing of things.

Various options to consider, just don't apply for a medical unless you know you can pass one. Schedule a CONSULTATION with your AME before you even fill out MedExpress.

MedExpress? Thats new. I'll have to look that up.

I guess I should figure out how to update my address too.

MedExpress? Thats new. I'll have to look that up.

I guess I should figure out how to update my address too.

You will find both at FAA.gov along with the full FAA library available for free download on PDF.

Yes. Got it with almost the minimums hours. Flew for fun all over AZ. Then Moved back home to FL and flew some more for fun. Then went to school to get a career. Got married and kids (life) came along too. Been working successfully now for 9 years and got into boating during that time. Boating became WAY TOO expensive cause I couldn't settle. I kept moving up in boat size till it sat on the trailer (trailer queen) for 6 months at a time. Boat is on it's way out and now want to get back into my real passion again.

I stopped flying cause I couldn't afford to boat and fly at the same time. Wife is tired of hitting the same sand bars, and cruising the same waterways and said boat has to go. She has family in Pennsylvania and Tennessee. She wanted an RV at first but likes the idea of shortening our drive times from 12+ HOURS to flying a few hours.

The plan is to build an experimental or buy used certified. I'm leaning toward experimental due to the DIY tinker personality in me. I FIX everything I can. I RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH and get advise from those who have more wisdom than me for a particular project then I FIX. Don't like the idea of building for years but also don't like to put my families life in someone else's hands (aircraft mechanic, car mechanic, etc...).

So for now, I plan to rent but wasn't sure what to expect. Hopefully it'll be like riding a bike and it will all just come back to me. Any tips that can help me refresh and get the logbook signed off quickly but safely would be great.

wheeww.. that was long winded.....
Good luck on getting back in the saddle! Find a school and get your BFR done. Read the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and brush up on some knowledge. you can also take a look at skyvector.com and pull up a sectional to get familiar with airspace.

Was off 20+ got the medical squared away, studied all I could find online, found a CFI and a plane to rent 7 hours or so and a few months later and I was signed off.

Easy Peasy.

You will find both at FAA.gov along with the full FAA library available for free download on PDF.

Thanks..

Found them, updated, and will call for an AME appt tomorrow.

Thanks for the info everyone. this helps!

Thanks..

Found them, updated, and will call for an AME appt tomorrow.

CONSULTATION APPOINTMENT!!!! File nothing with the FAA until the doc says "Yes, you will pass, no worries." It may cost you a double fee, but it's the cheapest, and only, insurance policy you can buy on this.

CONSULTATION APPOINTMENT!!!! File nothing with the FAA until the doc says "Yes, you will pass, no worries." It may cost you a double fee, but it's the cheapest, and only, insurance policy you can buy on this.

ooops... I already filled out the online form the the medical. I don't any health issues except for asthma when around cats.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've read on these boards that the online form isn't valid until the AME uses it. (if its never accessed by an AME it expires at some point). So you may still be able to do the consultation appointment. Just don't give him the confirmation number.

ooops... I already filled out the online form the the medical. I don't any health issues except for asthma when around cats.

Just don't give the AME the code until he tells you you will pass.

Just saw the asthma comment. You may want to do a consult with someone like Bruce Chien.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've read on these boards that the online form isn't valid until the AME uses it. (if its never accessed by an AME it expires at some point). So you may still be able to do the consultation appointment. Just don't give him the confirmation number.

I believe that is true.

Correct.

Ditto to Bruce. He is my AME. My plane is at 3MY, so it's a 10 minute drive... But if there is a Citation on the field... Good chance he's flown in from afar to see the doc.

I got back into flying ~2 years ago after a >10year layoff, Not boats though motorcycles.

I did what everyone here has advised, get a medical. I now have to deal with hypertension but no real big deal. If you can get a medical then find a CFI and schedule a BFR. I also ordered the sportys "get back into flying kit". It was a few videos on the new weather, airspace, BFR, etc to help get back to speed. I took about 12 hours in a 172 to get a BFR sign off.

Enjoy and welcome back to the air,

Get a BFR from a CFI and you will be good to go!

I have always had asthma long before I got my PPL. So hopefully it's not a recent new change to deny medicals.

Henning confirmed this, but I thought I would post the reference I found when researching the same:

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/medxpress.pdf

After submitting the electronic application form, you have 60 days in which to schedule and take a physical examination with your AME. After 60 days, the application is deleted.

When your AME imports your application using your confirmation number and saves it in the FAA’s medical certification system, the application is considered a permanent record.

Thanks
Just did it myself after 20 years... Find an instructor... get your BFR done and, of course your Medical... Easy as pie! You'll be surprised how fast it all comes back... I was!

I'd like to continue/finish my IFR training. Any pointers in that respect. Should I get the BFR done first to fly and get comfortable or should I make the BFR and ifr training ONE. Never took the ifr written.

Thanks

I'd like to continue/finish my IFR training. Any pointers in that respect. Should I get the BFR done first to fly and get comfortable or should I make the BFR and ifr training ONE. Never took the ifr written.

Thanks

Get the BFR done and go on a nice weekend cross country trip with someone where you just relax and fly along and get 5-6hrs in that trip. That should have you back into it well enough to not waste IR training time getting back in the groove of hand flying.

Luis R,

I'm currently getting back into flying after around nine years away and @ 85 hours. My next flight should complete my refresher/BFR, so around 3 hours after nearly nine years and I'll be good to go.

1. Get your medical

2.Use the below free resources to reacquaint yourself with Regs, Airspace, airports, and sectionals/TACs...
Digital Airport/Facility Directory (d-A/FD)
Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs)
SkyVector.com (Sectional/TAC/etc online)
...then perhaps purchase the hard copies when you're ready to roll.

3. Either download an E6B app, or find a manual one so you can get calculations figured out again.

4. Review flight maneuvers. I still had my ASA "Visualized Flight Maneuvers Handbook" which came in handy. And listen to LiveATC.net for a bit to get familiar with radio work - mimic if you need to.

5. Schedule a flight.

I'm telling you, it's not a big a deal as you may think. My first flight - I took off, did some maneuvers, called up ATC at a Class D, did a touch n go (with the CFI hovering on the controls), then navigation (VOR, landmarks, etc.) back toward home base. Other than pro landings, flying the aircraft was nearly automatic.

Thank for the encouragement and links. Once the boat is sold, I'll be flying within that week. Lots of tire kickers....

Back