wanna buy a sail boat

Thanks for starting this thread. I got to thinking about sail boats again.

I just bought the boat equivalent of a C172 left on tiedown for 5years. I'm the proud owner of a 1977 Catalina 22. Its 3 hrs away with no trailer. But the price was right and its got lots of extras with it (honda 4 stroke, sails, lines, etc). It needs a good cleaning and some repairs but I should be on the water by the end of June.

Thanks again.

If you cant tell that last thanks was sarcasm.

Now I have to go buy boat stuff. :D

I just bought the boat equivalent of a C172 left on tiedown for 5years. I'm the proud owner of a 1977 Catalina 22. Its 3 hrs away with no trailer. But the price was right and its got lots of extras with it (honda 4 stroke, sails, lines, etc). It needs a good cleaning and some repairs but I should be on the water by the end of June.

Congrats! Sweat equity and learning about the boat all good stuff. I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

I'm still looking at a couple of Tartan's and Cal's. I may head over to a few marinas on the Chesapeake bay and have a look.

Flying scot, laser II, or if size is a issue Laser I

Funny timing. Am looking to move away from flying finally and sail south on something in the 40'+ range. Lived on a 36 for several years and miss the simplicity and lack of of a house and hangar full of crap and several vehicles to maintain. One would be just dandy!

Thanks again.

If you cant tell that last thanks was sarcasm.

Where are you going to keep it? My experience sailing on Allatoona was sub-optimal. ;-)

My experience sailing on Allatoona was sub-optimal. ;-)

Was it the fickle inland winds, or the 3' rollers from the 50' express cruisers and sedan bridges running at hull speed?

I recently inherited a 1981 Sirius 21 and am in the process of cleaning it up and getting it ready. The Sirius was a competitor to the Catalina 22.

It wasnt like that at all. I was wearing a harness, and went down with the ship. ;-)

Ok, so this has been fascinating! I'd much rather talk to pilots about sailing than sailors, for some reason....

There's a Hunter Vision 32 at the local lake in need of some love. It seems ideal for our intended application (cruising). But people can abuse engines anywhere, I guess. Owner says the engine was factory new 5 years ago, but only has a few hundred hours on it. Wasn't run regularly and now won't turn (not turn over, won't do that either... but it won't -turn-). Sail, hull are in good shape, supposedly. Interior needs work.

Looks like a decent project if I can get it for the right price. But the engine has me worried. Also, I've read about handling problems due to the large free standing mast (won't go upwind as well as others).

Thoughts?

Won't turn over could mean a few things.

Best case: battery is bad/starter solenoid/starter is bad. Easy fix, relatively cheap in most cases.
Worst Case: engine seized

Easy way to test it. Bring a good car battery and a pair of jumper cables to attach directly to starter. You could also bring a breaker bar to turn the engine over by hand to see if it spins freely. Pulling the plugs should reveal if it somehow ingested water/operating condition at last shutdown. With a brief search, it seems like the Yanmar 3Cyl diesel was a popular option.

Slightly easier way, but more expensive: hire a marine surveyor to give you a full report on the engine/hull/running gear. It may cost a few hundred, but should give you a fairly detailed report on any concerns.

Where are you going to keep it? My experience sailing on Allatoona was sub-optimal. ;-)
wind in GA suck. why I never bought a boat there.
I moved to MI and changed jobs last month.
beeptter winds and I'm 30 mi from this little pond...called uh "pond Michigan".... wait lake.....yeah Lake Michigan.it is supposed to be big enough to handle a boat of this size.... :)

wind in GA suck. why I never bought a boat there.
I moved to MI and changed jobs last month.
beeptter winds and I'm 30 mi from this little pond...called uh "pond Michigan".... wait lake.....yeah Lake Michigan.it is supposed to be big enough to handle a boat of this size.... :)

Welcome to the land of potholes. Enjoy our beautiful roads. The winds and waves on that big pond can get pretty frisky at times.

Ok, so this has been fascinating! I'd much rather talk to pilots about sailing than sailors, for some reason....

There's a Hunter Vision 32 at the local lake in need of some love. It seems ideal for our intended application (cruising). But people can abuse engines anywhere, I guess. Owner says the engine was factory new 5 years ago, but only has a few hundred hours on it. Wasn't run regularly and now won't turn (not turn over, won't do that either... but it won't -turn-). Sail, hull are in good shape, supposedly. Interior needs work.

Looks like a decent project if I can get it for the right price. But the engine has me worried. Also, I've read about handling problems due to the large free standing mast (won't go upwind as well as others).

Thoughts?
We had one at our marina, it is a weird but neat boat. If the engine is locked up it may be trash. I would budget 8-10K for a new replacement, just a guess. Quick search on the internet turned up one with 570 hours from 2 years ago for 2K.

Where do you want to cruise? When we did the Caribbean back around 2000 the average size was 40 feet and it is bigger now. Two sets of friends left with 30's and found them too small and ended up buying in the mid 40's while they were out. Another set went around the world in a 27 with no fridge!

Check out http://www.cruisingoutpost.com/

It is a good thing we do not all like the same things and places or it would be damn crowded and expensive there.

Last edited:

I just bought the boat equivalent of a C172 left on tiedown for 5years. I'm the proud owner of a 1977 Catalina 22. :D

No, more like a 150. I'd say a C-25 or C-27 is more like a 172. A 30 to 34 more like a 182. Loved my 22 and later 36, both Catalinas.

Have fun!

To wrap this up....

Just bought an Ericson 30+. Feels a tiny bit smaller than the vision, but wow is it in better shape. Ready to sail. And from what I've read, it's faster.

I agree with Bill. Ericson's are nice.

I went and looked at mine. Marina's are worse than FBO's. Holy crap...~$350 to lift a 22 day sailer off a cradle and set on a boat trailer.

Maybe i should just buy a Duke.

Dukes are cool. :D

I love to sail and had a sailboat before I moved from the Norfolk area to Northern Alabama and bought a plane. I was also on the Naval Academy sailing team back in the late 70's. I would recommend a MacGregor 26 for anyone looking to get a boat that isn't into racing. It allows one to motor around when there is no wind and to sail when there is. Nice for the un-serious sailor.

I agree with Bill. Ericson's are nice.

I went and looked at mine. Marina's are worse than FBO's. Holy crap...~$350 to lift a 22 day sailer off a cradle and set on a boat trailer.

Maybe i should just buy a Duke.

Dukes are cool. :D

I lucked out, maybe, marina-wise. It's a club, run by former tenants that bought the marina from the owner just before he died. They're running it to have a place to go sailing, and not really "for profit", though they're making money. But then, they don't have the equipment to do what you did. That's Scottsboro, and yeah... it's probably $$. OTOH, it's still a fractional AMU, so after dealing with airplanes, boating seems (heh) cheap.

Back