wanna buy a sail boat

When I am not spiking 100LL I am doing this...

DSCN1864.jpg

As for buying a boat... see of there are any sailing clubs (not yacht) that offer sailing courses and rental boats. may be your best option at first.

That said, anyone is welcome to a ride if ya ever make it to Ventucky

What a time timely post. I've been reading about sailing and taking the online boating cert course for Maryland.

Not sure where I'm headed but a get-away liveaboard that I could fly to peaks my interest. Some of the trawlers look interesting too.

Good luck with your search.

Laurie and I took the sailing 101 course, I think it was in 2011. It was a lot of fun and we were interested in going further with it, but between other interests, house projects, and then eventually this whole parenting thing, we didn't do anything beyond that. We'd talked about living on a boat for a while, and that's still a bucket list item but probably when we get to be empty nesters.

Are you thinking sailing or powered? Lots of powered ones out there that are appealing, although they'll get worse MPG than the 414 if you want to go anywhere with them.

I'm disappointed in this thread. When someone comes to POA asking about buying a 172 or Cherokee, by the end of the thread the advice is usually to buy a Bonanza or Cirrus or G550 instead.

In that tradition I recommend you buy something like this:
Royal_Clipper_vor_Rovinj_02.jpg

Useful load won't be a problem and you'll always win the "who has the most sails" competition in the bar at the harbor. You'll thank me later for talking you out of buying one of those little 22' boats.

I owned a 30 foot sailboat in San Diego for about 7 years. Almost as much fun as flying
557998_10151727863759535_735055553_n.jpg

I'm disappointed in this thread. When someone comes to POA asking about buying a 172 or Cherokee, by the end of the thread the advice is usually to buy a Bonanza or Cirrus or G550 instead...

I think you are on to something here.

However, this is the ONLY brand of boat any self respecting POAer should consider, apparently:

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Bonanza/bp/20br1050

Much of the physics of flying is transferable to sailing. After all, a sail is just a wing on its edge. Going upwind, the low pressure area on the leeward side of the sail generates lift, pulling the boat forward. Another neat thing is you can change the shape of the sail for more power/speed as the wind changes. AOA is also important to keep the sail from stalling. (You can take your AOA from the plane and use it on the boat. Easy-peasy!) Navigation, crabbing into the wind/current, weather, etc. - all transferable.

ps If you get into sailboat racing, get an aviation weather brief for the day of the race. Note the surface winds and winds aloft (3000'). Gusts tend to be from the "winds aloft" direction.

I think this thread is worthy of discussion. Some of the best days of my life were spent on inland lakes under sail and trying my best to decipher the best wind options. I had to sell the catamaran and buy a Sunfish in order to become a competitor in their fleet. While my performances weren't always stellar the thrill of the competition and capturing a third place trophy did feel good. My nephew always managed to show me up. He and I still joke about that many years later.

Sure, there are bigger and better, but the idea is to enjoy life while at the helm.

I think this thread is worthy of discussion. Some of the best days of my life were spent on inland lakes under sail and trying my best to decipher the best wind options. I had to sell the catamaran and buy a Sunfish in order to become a competitor in their fleet. While my performances weren't always stellar the thrill of the competition and capturing a third place trophy did feel good. My nephew always managed to show me up. He and I still joke about that many years later.

Sure, there are bigger and better, but the idea is to enjoy life while at the helm.

85% of the fun of sailing can be had on a Sunfish. The other 15% you pay dearly for.

.....Are you thinking sailing or powered? Lots of powered ones out there that are appealing, although they'll get worse MPG than the 414 if you want to go anywhere with them.

Sailing. There's not many sailboats here in OC, but plenty of boats close by in the Chesapeake bay. I really like the Tartan 34's or a Cal35. Just dreaming right now, who knows what the future holds. This is a direct result of not enough flight time the last four months. Hopefully now that I'm slowly getting back in the air I'll be more focused on flight.

Last edited:
The Cessna 150 of sailing.. my first boat... only cost me $100.00

The Catalina 30 has to be the Cessna 172 of sailing then. 6430 built since '72. Was super easy to sail and didn't let me get into too much trouble

The Catalina 30 has to be the Cessna 172 of sailing then. 6430 built since '72. Was super easy to sail and didn't let me get into too much trouble

They were built right in Woodland Hills... Rocketdyne was right down the street..

They moved to Florida a few years back when the CA EPA Nazis decided to lower the boom on them for a few "environmental compliance issue's"... The pulled the same crap with Performance Catamarans in Santa Ana and they too said screw it and moved elsewhere..

They were built right in Woodland Hills... Rocketdyne was right down the street..

They moved to Florida a few years back when the CA EPA Nazis decided to lower the boom on them for a few "environmental compliance issue's"... The pulled the same crap with Performance Catamarans in Santa Ana and they too said screw it and moved elsewhere..
Yeah, that's pretty sad.. I remember emailing them with a question about my boat, and either Gerry Douglas or Frank Butler replied with the answer.. Tripped me out

You're bringing back memories. I grew up in Woodland Hills, and as a young kid, my Mom would take me shopping at a Pace Warehouse (bulk grocery store) that sat behind the Catalina facility.

Yea boats!! Only planes are more expensive to run!! Yep time for a repower.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 27
Guess I will have to try sailing sometime. Always looked incredibly boring to me

Guess I will have to try sailing sometime. Always looked incredibly boring to me
It can be. Nothing worse than being out on a big lake and having the wind die. Sailing isn't for everyone. I have friends that like to haul ass up and down the lake in powerboats... that gets boring too.

85% of the fun of sailing can be had on a Sunfish. The other 15% you pay dearly for.

I've never been a big fan of the lanteen rig, but for small cash one can have an absolute blast on something small like an MC Scow.

PH-JOY-MC-2013-1.jpg

I bought a sunfish last fall, $600, almost new condition, it was in a guy's cellar for 10 years. I also have an 18 foot hobie, my first hobie, I'm a little intimidated by that one for solo sailing. May get rid of it after this summer, we'll see how it goes.

You need to tell us what size you are looking for. Personally I think j-80s look like fun and there are many active associations that regularly sponsor races.

It can be. Nothing worse than being out on a big lake and having the wind die. Sailing isn't for everyone. I have friends that like to haul ass up and down the lake in powerboats... that gets boring too.

Oh god powerboats are the worst. I grew up on wakeboard boats wakeboarding and now wake surfing. Love to people watch when it comes to the type of people who are typically on the big cigarette boats though.

My wife and daughter got bored at 5mph, and only seeing the same little bit of lake all the time, so stopped going sailing. Buying a 21ft bowrider has them back out again. I'd still rather sail, but a day on the water is great no matter how you get there.

I've never been a big fan of the lanteen rig, but for small cash one can have an absolute blast on something small like an MC Scow.

PH-JOY-MC-2013-1.jpg

You can also sail in in something only slightly deeper than a soap dish.

When it comes to boats with fabric suspended over them there are two activities:
- sailing
- wannabe yachting

E-scows, MC-scows, Lasers, Hobies, Melges, J24s and anything where the crew gets hung over the rail are 'sailing'.

My wife and daughter got bored at 5mph, and only seeing the same little bit of lake all the time, so stopped going sailing. Buying a 21ft bowrider has them back out again. I'd still rather sail, but a day on the water is great no matter how you get there.

As you said when I started my "thinking about a boat" thread, the motor boats have a lot of appeal for everyone. I know for us it's been good. That said, Laurie and I would really enjoy some sailing. One day we'll get there, and the kids might get interested as well.

I'm the same way. I can see enjoying sailing from time-to-time, but I'd just assume be cruising around at 30mph+. I hate pontoon boats as well (yes, there are some that hit 60mph+). We'll stick with the 20'-25' runabouts for the types of activities we do while on the water.

I think offshore powerboats are impressive, but are very limited in function, as they don't do much of anything well except go fast and take choppy waters well. Not much fun for more than 5-6 people, lots of space under the 20'+ of bow in front of the windshield that isn't too useful, not good for water sports.

E-scows, MC-scows, Lasers, Hobies, Melges, J24s and anything where the crew gets hung over the rail are 'sailing'.

I haven't raced in a few years and sold my MC, but the guys at the club are now migrating to the new M14, looks like a hoot. I'm going to have to borrow one soon.

https://www.melges.com/boat.php?p=pages/boats/m14

A guy at the club has an older E scow, when the wind pipes up we grab some guys and go RIPPING across the lake. It's quite exhilarating!

Once they get the chute set, watch them take off:

^^^ those guys are hauling ass! Looks like a ton of fun.

Sunfish are a blast, we had two (on one trailer) when I was a kid. Wear a swim suit.

Used to have a Flying Junior, it was more fun, and fast.
I was sailing my Dock neighbor's laser one 4th of july around the marina, and my 80 lb german shepard mix decided he had to be in the boat with daddy....... Thankfully my ex caught him at the end of the dock before he could leap.

As you said when I started my "thinking about a boat" thread, the motor boats have a lot of appeal for everyone. I know for us it's been good. That said, Laurie and I would really enjoy some sailing. One day we'll get there, and the kids might get interested as well.
Teach your kids to sail and they won't ever have money for drugs. My grandfather taught me at about 14, and I have been hooked since. Sailing bit me just about as hard as aviation. I am fighting the internal struggle now with getting a sailboat with a couple partners in CA and commuting to it from Vegas... Heart says go, head says wait a gul durn minute.

Reactions: Ted
Teach your kids to sail and they won't ever have money for drugs. My grandfather taught me at about 14, and I have been hooked since. Sailing bit me just about as hard as aviation. I am fighting the internal struggle now with getting a sailboat with a couple partners in CA and commuting to it from Vegas... Heart says go, head says wait a gul durn minute.

Things we're teaching kids the love of:

- Aviation
- Boating
- Motorcycles
- Fast cars

No money for drugs in this household!

Fantastic. Hook them on competitive shooting and the pentavarite will be complete

They're too young to get them started shooting just yet, but we have a shooting range in the back of the property. We'll get them started with BB guns and soda cans when they get old enough.

And they're showing an interest in horses and go-kart racing...

They're too young to get them started shooting just yet, but we have a shooting range in the back of the property. We'll get them started with BB guns and soda cans when they get old enough.

And they're showing an interest in horses and go-kart racing...
Nice! I think i had my first .22 at 7 or so, and it was downhill from there.

I haven't raced in a few years and sold my MC, but the guys at the club are now migrating to the new M14, looks like a hoot. I'm going to have to borrow one soon.

https://www.melges.com/boat.php?p=pages/boats/m14

A guy at the club has an older E scow, when the wind pipes up we grab some guys and go RIPPING across the lake. It's quite exhilarating!

Once they get the chute set, watch them take off:

Bill,

Ever had the pleasure of showing up power boats while under sail? That was one of the pleasures I had when owning the Shearwater. It was a speedy catamaran that could pass most of the "stink boats" of the sixties. It had lots of sail and was a joy to sail till you reached critical hull speed and you suddenly came to a stop when it went nose down. Those days wer in my thirties and are now fond remembrances of days gone by. I sailed that boat in some rough winds, and only once did I find myself riding the high side to escape being dunked in cold water. Would I do it again? You bet your sweet I would.

Does anyone make a glider on floats..???? Gotta be the best of both worlds....

Back