Walmart not taking cash.

Most of these folks are getting paid minimum wage, no benefits, zero say in the cash acceptance situation, and absolutely no benefit to them whatsoever to get into an argument with the customer.

"We don't accept cash." That should be the end of the story. If the customer has a problem with that, take it up with corporate, not someone trying to eke out a living on $8.25 an hour.
As I said earlier, nobody is suggesting an argument with a cashier. But “zero say” in the matter is a far cry from “I don’t get paid enough to care”.

As I said earlier, nobody is suggesting an argument with a cashier. But “zero say” in the matter is a far cry from “I don’t get paid enough to care”.
I imagine after taking grief from a dozen angry customers, their f***-o-meter drops to zero.

You... know that their next job will basically be the same thing, right?
Then maybe they need to get their ****-o-meter adjusted.

and maybe more people should let places that allow their employees to take **** from customers day after day know that they’re not happy with that.

Tand maybe more people should let places that allow their employees to take **** from customers day after day know that they’re not happy with that.

Thankfully, that's already happening. Quite a few places can't keep their doors open right now because their minimum wage employees are fed up.

That's a completely different issue. Maybe customers that feel that need to explain why they're leaving to go to another store should speak to the manager instead of the cashier.

That's a completely different issue. Maybe customers that feel that need to explain why they're leaving to go to another store should speak to the manager instead of the cashier.

Funny we had such a conversation at work the other day. Years ago when I managed an auto parts store the one thing you always did was respect the customer ... as long as they showed respect. I would refund, exchange, warranty, and correct items as much as possible as long as the customer showed respect. I could understand and deal with them being upset but when they start cursing and threating ... they are outta there!

To your point ... it's true that speaking with the manager will usually get the concern resolved as most front line minimum wage employees generally don't care and believe that there is an endless supply of customers. The manager knows (or should know) that building long term relationships with repeat customers is how you grow a business (but that's another thread).

If “I don’t get paid enough to care” due to “taking grief from a dozen angry customers” is the reason ANY employee doesn’t see the need to pass along customer issues to his/her supervisor, then it’s exactly the same issue.

Every bank I knows requires you have an address to open an account. There are over a half million people that can't meet that bar. If I see someone down on their luck, or even straight up nuts, and give him/her $5, I'd like to think they could buy a burger (or booze, whatever). No idea how they would get set up with a proper -free- account and access it. They don't need us to make things harder for them.

Many of them are willing to work now, I think you need to file keep filing claims to get the "extra" benefits?

Slight correction: MOST of them want to work now. They just want to get paid a living wage. Maybe get some health care.

Slight correction: MOST of them want to work now. They just want to get paid a living wage. Maybe get some health care.

I have no disagreement with what you say but would add that in order for an employer to pay an employee what they think they are worth, the employee needs to prove what they are worth.

If the cashier falls into the “I don’t get paid enough to care” category, the cashier also falls into the “I’m a complete waste of oxygen” category. As does the cashier’s supervisor if he or she doesn’t ask said cashier why somebody left a cart of groceries and walked out.
Ouch, the lack of exposure to the reality of large portions of not only Americans; but other people in the world is rather depressing.

Tim

Ouch, the lack of exposure to the reality of large portions of not only Americans; but other people in the world is rather depressing.

Tim
whats depressing to me is that apparently it’s acceptable, and even expected, that there’s a large portion of the world doesn’t give a **** about the human beings that they interact with on a daily basis.

Last edited:
whats depressing to me is that apparently it’s acceptable, and even expected, that there’s a large portion of the world doesn’t give a **** about the human beings that they interact with on a daily basis.

For the folks that work these jobs, it isn't about that one interaction. It's the fact that they deal with Karens ALL.DAY.LONG. By the time Karen #30 rolls up, they are fresh out of craps to give, and I don't blame them. People in retail deal with stupid isht all day... and THEN they get to deal with a crappy company that gives them just enough hours to cover the store's needs, but not a minute past the threshold needed for the employee to receive benefits.

You expect the world from these front-line "essential" (but don't pay 'em like they are essential!) workers.

For the folks that work these jobs, it isn't about that one interaction. It's the fact that they deal with Karens ALL.DAY.LONG. By the time Karen #30 rolls up, they are fresh out of craps to give, and I don't blame them. People in retail deal with stupid isht all day... and THEN they get to deal with a crappy company that gives them just enough hours to cover the store's needs, but not a minute past the threshold needed for the employee to receive benefits.

You expect the world from these front-line "essential" (but don't pay 'em like they are essential!) workers.
I don’t just expect the world from them...I expect the world from the customers and the employers, but apparently it’s acceptable and/or expected for them to not give a **** about the people they interact with on a daily basis as well.

And while we’re at it, I also expect the world from our elected officials who deem wide swaths of people nonessential, and the sheeple who believe them.

Last edited:
I don’t just expect the world from them...I expect the world from the customers and the employers, but apparently it’s acceptable and/or expected for them to not give a **** about the people they interact with on a daily basis as well.

And while we’re at it, I also expect the world from our elected officials who deem wide swaths of people nonessential, and the sheeple who believe them.

No arguments with any of that. People in general find new and exciting ways to massively disappoint me on a very regular basis.

Start with the customers. When customers treat the cashier or other minimum wage employees well, you will find that it is reciprocated.
Until than, money is one of the many ways you can compensate someone for putting up with sh**.

Tim

Start with the customers. When customers treat the cashier or other minimum wage employees well, you will find that it is reciprocated.
Until than, money is one of the many ways you can compensate someone for putting up with sh**.

Tim
Customers and employers are included in “a large portion of the world”.

Customers and employers are included in “a large portion of the world”.

Then you might as well believe that we will have world peace at exactly midnight tonight.
Until this actually occurs, skip nirvana and deal with the reality that many people are mean, rude or discourteous. A large portion of "essential" workers have come to the conclusion that the current wage structure is not worth putting up with that sh**.

Tim

Ok, everything is back to SNAFU. The wife went to Walmart today and they accepted cash. We can all take a deep breath and relax...... :lol::lol:

Ok, everything is back to SNAFU. The wife went to Walmart today and they accepted cash. We can all take a deep breath and relax...... :lol::lol:

and spoil the various rants?

bah

Then you might as well believe that we will have world peace at exactly midnight tonight.
Until this actually occurs, skip nirvana and deal with the reality that many people are mean, rude or discourteous. A large portion of "essential" workers have come to the conclusion that the current wage structure is not worth putting up with that sh**.

Tim
So the ‘large portion of “essential” workers’ don’t have to believe that dealing with *******s is necessary, but have to believe they do?

Hold on a minute... we were having some good fun in here! Now you come in and spoil it with this? Hmph!!!

What is this fantasy concept of an essential worker? Who decides what’s essential? Who has the authority to shut down private business and bankrupt them in the name of safety?

sounds like some Stalin crap to me.

Yeah, but Chick-fil-a is still rationing their sauces, we can’t relax just yet! :p

I've only come across a cash only store once in the last few years, outside of the COVID coin issue. However, they had a legit excuse as the dude got tired of using dial up to swipe cards. It was the only gas station for miles up in the Ozarks.

I had some time on my hand and the dude and I started bs'ing and he said let me show you what I'm talking about. Sending instructions to Percy on Mars was QUICKER!!!

I will say that you need to try to use a US GOV fuel card in BFE AR. They look at you like you're from the Moon.

I will say that you need to try to use a US GOV fuel card in BFE AR. They look at you like you're from the Moon.
Or that you're a revenuer. BTDT in other rural areas where the smell of mash is in the air.

You guys have it all wrong.

Their crappy in-house POS system was probably down for a Windows update.

You guys have it all wrong.

Their crappy in-house POS system was probably down for a Windows update.

Windows ME still has updates available?

I see that. I certainly worked retail when I was younger. But it absolutely provided motivation for me to get the skills to get a higher paying job. Others approach it differently. Raising the wage without a commensurate rise in productivity is absolutely inflationary. Not many people are going to be willing to pay for $13 big Macs. Real solutions are rarely simple.

Last edited:
I see that. I certainly worked retail when I was younger. But it absolutely provided motivation for me to get the skills to get a higher paying job. Others approach it differently. Raising the wage without a commensurate rise in productivity is absolutely inflationary. Not many people are going to be willing to pay for $13 big Macs. Real solutions are rarely simple.

And ironically, $13 Bic Macs hurt the demographic that minimum wage inflation is intended to protect the most.

The ending of additional benefits in many states right now will be an interesting test.
I can say from those I know who are in many of the fields which pay very little (either as managers, owners or employees); to many have realized it is cheaper to stay home. For example a friend named Alyson has been a waitress for years, and works afternoon/evenings, her husband owns a pizza shop (delivery only). The result, they have had to pay for sitters for years. When COVID hit. ALyson quit, they stopped paying for sitters, she is home to cook more meals... Basically they realized that it costs more for her to work than for her to stay home. She probably has permanently left the labor force.

Tim

Raising the wage without a commensurate rise in productivity is absolutely inflationary. Not many people are going to be willing to pay for $13 big Macs. Real solutions are rarely simple.

Not exactly. Printing money causes inflation. Wage floors cause unemployment, and it usually affects minorities the most.

Back