Wal-Mart Savings Catcher

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
For all the bashing I do to Wal-Mart, I have to give them credit for their Savings Catcher program. The gist of it is that you take your receipt from Wal-Mart, enter the receipt # on your online account and over the next couple of days they scour the prices of nearby competitors to see if anyone is selling the same thing cheaper. If so, they put the difference in your SC account. I just signed up a couple of weeks ago and prefer HyVee due to the shorter lines, but for the few receipts I've entered I already have $8.36 in my account.

It's not a lot, but it is better than nothing and takes away the concern that someone else might have it cheaper on sale.

Few recipes entered... About 20 minutes plus context interrupt time, right?

Call it 30.

16.72 an hour for your free time, ain't bad. Ain't huge, but ain't bad.

No way would I do this. Walmart is not going to give out anything for free. Walmart must be trying to steal your privacy in some fashion, perhaps by connecting your email address and IP number to your purchases.

Wal-mart is used only in emergencies. 99% of the time, I'll go back and return what I bought. They'll take anything back.

No way would I do this. Walmart is not going to give out anything for free. Walmart must be trying to steal your privacy in some fashion, perhaps by connecting your email address and IP number to your purchases.

I think it's just putting a gimmick they've had for years on the internet.

But let's say for a moment they are in fact collecting my email address and IP address and connecting it to your purchases(and they probably are). Why do I care? Google, amazon, and others are already tying my searches to advertising anyway. What are they gonna do, send me targeted ads or coupons. Oh the horror :yikes:

I probably go to Wal-Mart at least a few times a month. They are the only big box store out here and it's a nice, new, and uncrowded. I'll go to the Safeway if I only need to by groceries, but the local Wal-Mart is preferable to driving 15 miles to the 'burbs. Never figured out why they built it here. It's too big for the number of people who live close by.

Wal-Mart likes to build out on the edge of towns and cut big tax deals with local government for developing the area. That might be why.

I went to wal-mart last night for some things and was reminded why I rarely go. 30-some registers up front, they only have 4 open and I'm standing in line for 10 minutes or worse to get through the checkout. It's like that at this walmart every time I go there too.

Wal-mart is used only in emergencies. 99% of the time, I'll go back and return what I bought. They'll take anything back.

It depends on who is taking it back. They refused to take back a coffee maker from my wife (who is Hispanic), but gave me no problem about it the next day (old, fat, white guy).

Wal-Mart likes to build out on the edge of towns and cut big tax deals with local government for developing the area. That might be why.
This is not on the edge of town, well it's the edge of a town with about 1,500 people, but it's 15 miles from the edge of a metro area.

I went to wal-mart last night for some things and was reminded why I rarely go. 30-some registers up front, they only have 4 open and I'm standing in line for 10 minutes or worse to get through the checkout. It's like that at this walmart every time I go there too.
I never wait in line. Even if there is a line at the registers with live checkers there is never a line at the self-checkout. In fact there are probably 8 stations with maybe one or two in use at any time.

If you only have a few items, go to the garden center, sporting goods, or automotive. They will check you out.

I think Savings Catcher is awesome. It takes me roughly 45 seconds to open the app, scan the QR code, and enter the date of purchase. I started using it in September, and I have $27 on an e-gift card. It takes very little extra effort on my part, and it has come back and saved me quite a bit. About 60% of the time, I get a little bit back on each receipt, and on our big shopping trips ($150 stock-up trip), I usually get around $7.

The only downside I see is that I can't use the gift card on my phone; I have to actually get on my computer, log in, and print it out. Which I haven't done yet, so that money is just piling up on there. That's really not a complaint though; it's still usable, I just have to remember to go print it before I go to the store.

Overall, though, it's a great program. They check about 60 different ads, from grocery stores to Petco. I have gotten money back because they found a lower price at a United grocery store, and I have never even seen a United anywhere near me. So count me as pleased.

I signed up for the bluebird account and they doubled the amount of my savings. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

I go to Walmart almost everyday during winter or rainy weather. The doctor says I should walk at least 30 minutes, and around on the inside (aisle next to the wall) of a Super Walmart is 1/4 of a mile. Four loops plus the trip in and out to the car is 30 minutes.

We generally buy a few things there, but mostly we get groceries elsewhere, hardware elsewhere, auto parts and service elsewhere, but still find it convenient for electronics -- site to store works great. -- Oh, and I get my meds there.

For a quick entry park next to the Lube Center, and that's where I check out. Seldom a wait. By the way, when I bought a lawn and garden battery that went into my homebuilt, I asked them to weigh it, and they did -- 17 lbs.

Last edited:
For all the bashing I do to Wal-Mart, I have to give them credit for their Savings Catcher program. The gist of it is that you take your receipt from Wal-Mart, enter the receipt # on your online account and over the next couple of days they scour the prices of nearby competitors to see if anyone is selling the same thing cheaper. If so, they put the difference in your SC account. I just signed up a couple of weeks ago and prefer HyVee due to the shorter lines, but for the few receipts I've entered I already have $8.36 in my account.

It's not a lot, but it is better than nothing and takes away the concern that someone else might have it cheaper on sale.

I don't worry about it too much. WalMart is not convenient to me, and I don't like giving them my business, so I haven't shopped at a WalMart in a decade or so.

It's not for free, it's to get you to quit shopping for best price on your own. "Just come in and buy it here, we'll shop it out and if we find it cheaper elsewhere, we'll refund you, no need for you to shop, just come on in and buy and know you got it as cheap as possible." That is the greatest marketing program there is if it works, especially when your cost is lower than anyone else's.

I buy motor oil there... and not much else. I do use Straight Talk phone service, however.

Rich

I'll shop at WM or wherever I find myself. I don't care at all about whatever pitiful little problems PC people have with different merchants.

Living 25 miles from stores means most stuff is Amazon Prime, anyway. They often beat or come really close to WalMart's prices. And it gets delivered.

Walmart had a better deal on RV antifreeze than Amazon, though. So I stopped on the way by.

Awareness, Boycotts, drama over who to buy crap from? Meh. I got stuff to do today and feel like chicken and a cheap pair of jeans.

Walmart beats any auto lube place anywhere too, if you bring your own oil and filter. I think $14 last time? If you're low on time, it's hard to pass that one up.

Ours has a Subway so I just get a sandwich and kill lunch and oil change at the same time if I don't have time to do it myself.

They carry one of the motor oil brands I'll use in one vehicle, the other two I have to get over at AutoZone or O'Reilly, whoever has the best sale on their website.

Pick it up on the way by, drop vehicle, get sandwich, read PoA on phone. Done.

Walmart also doesn't balk at me showing up with 24 qts of used motor oil either, when I do the airplane or one of the vehicles and have it stockpiled awaiting a trip to town or from the hangar. They just pour it in the recycle bin, have me sign the book, and hand me back my jugs with a smile -- even if I don't buy anything.

Other places act huffy like you're inconveniencing them.

Walmart is Walmart. If they've got something there I need, I go. Haven't got anyone I feel any need to impress with anti-Walmart-isms in person or online.

Oh. You're boycotting what now? Hmm. Fascinating. (Big yawn... )

Very Important for many people to hate WalMart.

I feel it - miss having more vibrant downtown business districts in small towns too - but many of these were suffering before WalMart came to town and, of course, I don't recall WalMart sending out legions of shotgun-toting thugs to force folks to shop there. Someone must like something about the place.

They provide a good first job for a lot of people, promote managers almost exclusively from within. Seems to me that they are not all bad.

When my wife became ill with ovarian cancer walmart fired her. We where fighting this and did not waste our time fighting walmart.

denverpilot said:
I'll shop at WM or wherever I find myself. I don't care at all about whatever pitiful little problems PC people have with different merchants.

Oh. You're boycotting what now? Hmm. Fascinating. (Big yawn... )

Very Important for many people to hate WalMart.

I also shop Walmart or whoever has the best price, and yes, I use savings catcher. It's saved us well over $20 since starting.

Some things I can't get at Walmart. I like boarshead meats for sandwiches, Publix is the only game in town, so that is where I go. The bread we like is $2.88 at WM and $4.28 at Publix. I can't see how me paying 48% more for an item down the street is going to help the poor schmoe at WM.

Maybe I'm just a CheapBastard[TM], but we do shop price.

Anyway, WM supercenters won me over a long time ago when I was single. Any store where single man could buy his groceries, oil and filter for the truck, filters for the HVAC, and a couple of boxes of cheap practice .45acp in one stop was a win.

I think people like the one-stop shopping -- drop off the car for service, the wife, husband, children, all have a place to go, do your banking, get your hair fixed, look at cell phones accessories, visit the bakery, shop for clothes, do grocery shopping, pick up already prepared food, many have a McDonalds or Subway, etc.

Here's what kills rural towns -- lack of a hospital and lack of an airport with a good FBO. When you travel between the Mississippi and the Rocky mountains, notice the towns that are still going good and the ones that are ghost towns and don't know it yet. Those that are surviving have a hospital and an airport; those drying up have neither.

A GOOD hospital... I lived outside a town in Tx with a crappy hospital, people avoided using it for anything major at all costs.

I think people like the one-stop shopping -- drop off the car for service, the wife, husband, children, all have a place to go, do your banking, get your hair fixed, look at cell phones accessories, visit the bakery, shop for clothes, do grocery shopping, pick up already prepared food, many have a McDonalds or Subway, etc.

Here's what kills rural towns -- lack of a hospital and lack of an airport with a good FBO. When you travel between the Mississippi and the Rocky mountains, notice the towns that are still going good and the ones that are ghost towns and don't know it yet. Those that are surviving have a hospital and an airport; those drying up have neither.

What kills a town is jobs lost, either in town or nearby. They would not have a hospital or an airport if their economy was not at one time quite strong. My home town, in New York state , had, at one time 36 furniture factory's plus other manufacturing. All gone to China. Town falling apart, airport would be closed if not for federal support, hospital so so , but if serious, most folks go to larger city with much better medical facilitys. The town today is a shadow of what it was 40 years ago. Done for. At one time, two airlines serviced the town, today one does but only with govt. Help. And they want to leave soon.

Last edited:
Back