comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
Engine running.

SoCal says 5 more min.

Its a Thursday for gosh sakes -

Vis was 3 - hahahaha. Viz was 3 because they wanted the airport to be open for flight training -

REAL soupy. As bad as I've seen it in a long time. Indefinite ceilings and real world viz of about 2 miles slant.

Gorgeous on top as usual.

Then there was the guy who departed special VFR. Not a chance. When the tower called for a report leaving Class D El Monte was reporting 1.5miles in haze and he was going there -

Gadzooks we're spoiled in Colorado. If I can't see Pikes Peak (60 nm) from the backyard, I'm not flying south.

Of course around here if you can't see Pikes Peak or Mt Evans or Longs Peak, that means icing, tstorms, snow storms, etc.

That's nothing. I've had to wait over 30 min to depart from DVT on a CAVU day....and I was VFR!

:dunno:
Gadzooks we're spoiled in Colorado. If I can't see Pikes Peak (60 nm) from the backyard, I'm not flying south.

Of course around here if you can't see Pikes Peak or Mt Evans or Longs Peak, that means icing, tstorms, snow storms, etc.

Last May I drove from PUB to 4V1 then on to SAF.

Stratus at about 2,000 agl with perhaps 8 sm vis. It was just cool stratus, no adverse wx otherwise. We came out of it at Raton where it got warmer quickly.

That front range creates some strange WX.

About 55 sm to Mt. Rainier from my house. Much less viz than that and we start feeling claustrophobic (or file IFR). :D

I was planning to have lunch at POC in a couple of weeks. I need some IFR currency.
I thought I would hit DAG, VCV and PMD for a few warm up approaches before jumping down into the valley.

Is the resturant still open? I promised the CFII a lunch, and he's never been to POC.

:dunno:

Last May I drove from PUB to 4V1 then on to SAF.

Stratus at about 2,000 agl with perhaps 8 sm vis. It was just cool stratus, no adverse wx otherwise. We came out of it at Raton where it got warmer quickly.

That front range creates some strange WX.

I've driven thru snow storms (sleet really) in July on Monument Hill, which is on I-25 just north of Colorado Springs.

Bill - yep - Norms is still open at POC.

On the way out get the GPS 06 @ CCB then the ILS 06 @ SBD and you have 5 of the 6. Take an approach and a hold back into VGT and you're current.

Coma - POC ground told me it there were 2 departures from EMT and CCB before me - how can that take so long?

Hey pilots don't dawdle on those departures- there may be someone waiting patiently for you. Don't be unsafe but take off already.

That's nothing. I've had to wait over 30 min to depart from DVT on a CAVU day....and I was VFR!

Ugh I waited at SDL 15 minutes before departing to HND. Then leaving (3 days later) I waited 20 minutes at the hold-short line before I finally got to go. Then they asked "89CD, what's your rate of climb?"
"Bad, ok? 89CD?" :mad:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N89CD

6udu4ude.jpg

It's over there above the black roof. 98.2 miles away by road. Kinda hazy today. :)

I wanna go flying. Still coughing up both lungs here.

Bill - yep - Norms is still open at POC.

On the way out get the GPS 06 @ CCB then the ILS 06 @ SBD and you have 5 of the 6. Take an approach and a hold back into VGT and you're current.

Coma - POC ground told me it there were 2 departures from EMT and CCB before me - how can that take so long?

Hey pilots don't dawdle on those departures- there may be someone waiting patiently for you. Don't be unsafe but take off already.

CCB I found, but the approach comes from the other side. Recommend coming around from PMD to Van Nuys then east to CCB?

Did not find SBD

Can't speak for CCB but can for EMT. It takes a long time to get to ADAMM. So Cal can't touch an El Monte departure until it is past ADAMM headed to PDZ. That is a lot of time at 80 knots, or less.

Can't speak for CCB but can for EMT. It takes a long time to get to ADAMM. So Cal can't touch an El Monte departure until it is past ADAMM headed to PDZ. That is a lot of time at 80 knots, or less.

Looking at the arrivals and departs - there was someone on the VOR-A into POC when I called - and they arrived 15 min later - you guys in the slow planes really need to keep the speed up. flying a 6 mile final to a VOR at 60 kts GS with a 5 knot headwind? REALLY?

Looking at the arrivals and departs - there was someone on the VOR-A into POC when I called - and they arrived 15 min later - you guys in the slow planes really need to keep the speed up. flying a 6 mile final to a VOR at 60 kts GS with a 5 knot headwind? REALLY?

Cars westbound on I-10 from by Forest Lawn to abeam the airport were passing him. :rofl:

Joe, I 'm sympathetic, but you have got to go do TEB. I've waited 2 hours.....

Yep . . .

and Yep.

I landed there in low IMC in my Viking on ILS 6 and only got vectored to Trenton. . . . and then they told me to speed it up on final - if they just vectored me in early!!! I knew I needed to be fast and did not drop anything until a mile from the FAF - I was showing 130kts over the ground 3 miles from the FAF - its in the logbook! Thats what? Same speed a G-III?

are they keeping you on the ramp or are you waiting at the hold short? I had to wait 3 minutes at RRY yesterday for my IFR, and I remember thinking about how long it seemed.

summertime at FRG is like that all day

Yep, spent many many minutes sitting in the penalty box at the end of rwy 1 there waiting for an opening. Once, was told that it would be an hour before I could get cleared to go. I shut down, and asked for a 10 minute warning so I could startup again. Been told by a lot of the locals to just go VFR and file after departure. Yeah, NY really appreciates that.

i actually like to file ifr out of republic because its not too bad. ive only had to waitlongest like 5 minutes fir my release. vfr is a dfferent story. there are so many students training and doing tuch and go's, long ladnngs, approaches that it becomes a regular occurance to hear "cessna 123 cleared for takeoff, without delay traffic is a cherokee 1 mile final"

it really is amazing how much delay guy flying slowly can cause. It's usually a lack of awareness of how the system works rather than a choice to gum up the works.

The TEB departure delays seem to be dependent upon what runways are in use at EWR (in my experience anyway). Lately, it hasn't been too bad.

summertime at FRG is like that all day

i actually like to file ifr out of republic because its not too bad. ive only had to waitlongest like 5 minutes fir my release. vfr is a dfferent story. there are so many students training and doing tuch and go's, long ladnngs, approaches that it becomes a regular occurance to hear "cessna 123 cleared for takeoff, without delay traffic is a cherokee 1 mile final"

I've only flown VFR into Republic but on one trip I was told to remain clear of the Delta and "I'll call you back." 10 minutes of slow flying later towards the pencil(?) I called her back. She got me in line the rest was uneventful. However, departing I was 5 planes deep on the taxiway and it probably took 20 minutes before I was cleared for takeoff.

Must be hard to be a student there with wait times like that.

i think its great for students to learn at FRG. right near the busy class b airspace, and frg is a very busy airport itself. it will definitely make you better on the radios and make you more alert. during my solo they actually had me fly a really long extended downwind for 19 that almost brought me out to the LI sound. the controller tells me "dont worry, i havent forgot about you, you can turn base now.
I've only flown VFR into Republic but on one trip I was told to remain clear of the Delta and "I'll call you back." 10 minutes of slow flying later towards the pencil(?) I called her back. She got me in line the rest was uneventful. However, departing I was 5 planes deep on the taxiway and it probably took 20 minutes before I was cleared for takeoff.

Must be hard to be a student there with wait times like that.

i think its great for students to learn at FRG. right near the busy class b airspace, and frg is a very busy airport itself. it will definitely make you better on the radios and make you more alert. during my solo they actually had me fly a really long extended downwind for 19 that almost brought me out to the LI sound. the controller tells me "dont worry, i havent forgot about you, you can turn base now.

I can absoultly see the advantages to training there, but sitting on the tarmac with the hobbs clicking away sucks. :yesnod:

Back