Wait time before applying for an SI

C

clpn14

Lapsed medical due to breast cancer in 3/07. mastectomy performed. Subsequent bone scans are neg. Now on Tamoxifen which is not disqualifying. While gathering what I hope were the pertinent records last fall, I was hit with prostate cancer. Prostectomy done in June and all pathology negative, other than the tumor itself. Is there a "standard" period or some number of clean followup exams which OKC while want to see pass before they will consider an SI. What tests results should I expect to send them when the time arrives.

Chuck, Welcome to the board!

While I don't really have answers more specific to your particular situation, I will advise you not to complete nor sign the FAA Form 8500 for a medical certificate until after you've consulted with an AME. Make sure they are a senior AME with substantial experience in dealing with more serious issues and with the FAA.

Hopefully soon, Bruce will be on the board to answer your question. He is a senior AME located in Illinois and is well established with the FAA. In addition, he's also a flight instructor and accomplished pilot. He'll also have many references to other AME's he's familiar with and can point you in the right direction.

Thanks Ken. I am trying to have it all together before even I approach an AME. Too many horror stories and I hope not to be another. I am looking for South Jersey/Philadelphia area guy with the strengths you noted.

Chuck, the breast Ca- you need to tell if there were nodes positive. The wait is one year, should be OK. Every year they want at least a CXR w/i 90 days of application (local mets) and the Cerebral MRI w/i 90 days of the app (at least on the first round).

Prostate- if you have the prostatectomy,you can apply end of Septmember if your PSA is now nil and and you doc wirtes a letter saying " no detectable tumor". The Pre-surgical workup for metastases (bone scan, CTs, etc) must be negative.

Bruce, thanks so much. Excatly what I was looking for. Timing for September/October is excellent. I was in fact negative on the nodes in both procedures. Two followups... As I colect records, will they be looking for radiologists reports or actual films. Can they handle CD of digital studies?

Bruce, thanks so much. Excatly what I was looking for. Timing for September/October is excellent. I was in fact negative on the nodes in both procedures. Two followups... As I colect records, will they be looking for radiologists reports or actual films. Can they handle CD of digital studies?
For your situation, printed reports are fine. In fact, they CAN open digital studies, but the only ones for which the digital files are necessary are usually cardiac studies.

Hi Chuck, Chuck here as well. I had prosate CA last year, I was diagnosed on July 5, 2007 just before I was suppose to deploy to Afganistan. Short story I had a prosctomy in Sept 10,2008, and last PSA done in Dec 2007 which was 0.01.

In July 2008 I went to have my 2nd class redone, I brought all my pre and post op paperwork and submitted it all, and in the mean time had the PSA re-done. It took 6 weeks and it came back with a 6- year tempoary letter stating i needed to do a physical every year, along with a PSA and doctors letter stating nothing has changed. My medical does not automacticaly downgrade to a 3rd class however so it will be a physical every year for the next 5.

Good luck to you, I hope that sheds some light for you.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck and good luck to you as well. May you remain at .01, a beatiful number indeed.

Chuck

There be a bunch of us with that problem (prostate cancer) around here. Diagnosed on April 28, surgery (radical prostatectomy) on July 11. Path report says it was contained to the prostate. Doc wants to see me again on November 3, so I'll go in for the blood draw and PSA test on October 31. Should be undetectable. :fcross:

Of course, I had just renewed my 3rd class in March.

And, can I keep things simple? Nope. Had a pulmonary embolism last weekend while on vacation with my family (4 weeks after the prostate came out) and wound up spending some quality time in the ICU of a small (excellent) hospital on the Oregon coast. Those things HURT! So, in addition to the SI for prostate cancer I'm going to have to deal with balancing coumodin and diet for a while, with the SI that entails. Hopefully only for 6 months, but that's up to my PCP. Guess it's time in the next month or so to contact my AME and see what he's going to need. Had a nice chat with Dr. Chien last night about this one. I don't have to tell you all what a gentleman he is.

You guys with good health, enjoy it. I never worried about a 3rd class until earlier this year, now I'm going to have to work to keep it. Getting old isn't for sissies. Heck, it will even catch up with Henning some day (year?). :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back