Wait, charter flights?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
I finally got a chance to read part of the June issue of Sport Pilot. I saw where a company is going to be offering charter flights to the show in CRJs. It reminds me of the glamoratzi chartering to burning man and how that's changed the nature of the event.

This strikes me as a bad move. Not that you could stop them, but EAA doesn't have to endorse it. IMHO, the focus of Air Venture ought to be on the techniques, tools and procedures for experimental aircraft. Having people start jetting in is going to both mess up arrivals and bring a new crop that isn't really about experimental aviation.

No different from driving in with a rental car out of Milwaukee. Or God forbid, park park your RV at Camp Scholler.

...IMHO, the focus of Air Venture ought to be on the techniques, tools and procedures for experimental aircraft...

My first OSH was 1985. By then it had already gone waaaay beyond this narrow focus.

It's a two-sided coin.

Influential people are generally wealthier people, and influencing policies that affect GA seems one of EAA's (and AOPA's) areas of constantly growing activity.
Good or bad, courting people of influence (read: wealth) has become a national pastime.

The flights are into ATW anyways, which already see commercial service on regional jets. The only difference is where these are coming from and that it's only during Airventure.

The more the merrier. There are already 500,000 people coming to Oshkosh, I doubt a few chartered jets will have any impact on the personality of Airventure.

My first OSH was 1985. By then it had already gone waaaay beyond this narrow focus.

It's a two-sided coin.

Influential people are generally wealthier people, and influencing policies that affect GA seems one of EAA's (and AOPA's) areas of constantly growing activity.
Good or bad, courting people of influence (read: wealth) has become a national pastime.

policy

It could be worse. They could all fly their own jets into OSH just like Jack Roush.

These airplanes that are going to be chartered are airline configured CRJ's, not G650's. From PWM it will be $299 each way, which isn't crazy. Comparing this to Hollywood weirdos chartering to get to Burning Man is pretty inaccurate.

These airplanes that are going to be chartered are airline configured CRJ's, not G650's. From PWM it will be $299 each way, which isn't crazy. Comparing this to Hollywood weirdos chartering to get to Burning Man is pretty inaccurate.

Yeah, its just airplane wierdoes in cargo shorts.

It could be worse. They could all fly their own jets into OSH just like Jack Roush.
Well, hopefully not just like Jack Roush.
Plane+crash+pictures+jack+roush.jpg

Back