Wagstaff late-night "runway incident" at KOSH?

I just read the article and saw the picture, WoW, talk about helmet hair.

MMMM thats interesting. Now I'm really curious! Guess we'll find out soon enough.

What would be a "place I shouldn't be" at OSH? Especially one of the participating performers. :dunno:

What would be a "place I shouldn't be" at OSH? Especially one of the participating performers. :dunno:
Crossing the runway at night, for one. They frown on that. But it's so much easier than going all the way around.

Ditto on crossing the runway. I also had an incident last year when I had a bicycle and, um, didn't see that you can't ride all the way to the terminal any more. A cop saw me, hit his flashers, and sped over to intercept me. He started out with a hard nosed a** chewing then couldn't help himself and would start laughing. Not sure, but I got the impression that apprehending a 50 year old, beat up hombre on a bicycle, for trespassing isn't exactly how you become a legend back at the station house.

Tom

I guess I'd have to ask the question if the airport is closed if that was still a runway, at least an active runway. And, there is a prohibition against taxiing an AIRPLANE at night on the grounds, but a ground vehicle?

I s'pose they could nail whoever was driving with not displaying the orange strobe and failure to contact ground control, but the whole thing about closing the whole airport may have some interesting implications for both sides, especially if the practice is well known and a blind eye turned. It has been forty years since I took business law, but I believe the term for this blind eye syndrome is "estoppel".

Dunno.

"My understanding is that they were coming from the Gathering of Eagles [EAA's gala dinner] and were heading back to their hotel when they stopped to check an airplane," Knapinski said. "They ended up in a location where they weren't supposed to be."

Drunk in the cockpit of an F-22???

Crossing the runway at night, for one. They frown on that. But it's so much easier than going all the way around.
Oh, really? As a pedestrian or in a plane? I've walked across those runways many times, and if their rent-a-cops have a problem with that...well, tough :cheerswine:

-Felix

What would be a "place I shouldn't be" at OSH? Especially one of the participating performers.

If I had an airplane I was performing in I would want some security detail watching over them. Plenty of things to mess around with on an airplane. And the dudes on security can't know all the performers on sight, they have to treat all trespassers the same.

Yeah but Dave, she said she was in a place she shouldn't be and it it was her plane she should have been there so I think its got to be something else.

Whatever happened, I'm sure she meant and did no harm, and although times are different now, there have been many revered aviation legends who did a lot worse on a regular basis. :D

She's 100% professional at showtime; that's what really matters.

I will not cast stones here. Oshkosh is about socializing as much as it is about airplanes, and I have been at parties, had a couple of drinks, and walked across the runway to my own campsite. (The buses stop running at 11. That's early.) I can see how someone could get themselves in a bind. I'm not advocating getting sloppy drunk and going "Hee hee, let's run across the runway!" but I can see how the combination of some innocent socializing, a long walk back to the plane, and an overzealous security volunteer could turn into something exactly like this.

The ultimate irony: I've walked across the runway after drinking margaritas served by none other than Patty Wagstaff! :rofl:

Last edited:
The Aero News article said it was past 2230. Was the tower open at the time?

I haven't been to OSH since 1980...or was it '79?

I love aviation but, really, folks I don't miss events like OSH in the least bit and this incident (and its handling) appears to be one more testament as to why.

The Aero News article said it was past 2230. Was the tower open at the time?

No. Field (and tower) closes at 8 PM during AirVenture, opens up for departures at 6 AM and arrivals at 7 AM. And by field closed, I mean props must be stopped. In theory. Realistically, that might take a couple of extra minutes.

I'm pretty sure I've got one in nearly all 50 and a couple of foreign countries as well, so?

So you've obviously got a problem. Perhaps remedial driver's ed might help? As far as mentioning Patty's ticket, my thought when I wrote that was that she seems not to have the best of luck here in Wisconsin. Although, it isn't a matter of luck as much as choices. And some people make some pretty stupid choices, as you've proven to us. Speed on brother, Hell ain't half full (as the bumper sticker says...)
Scott Wilson

Hmm... I've seen what Patty can do with an airplane. I've also tended to note that pilots are frequently better drivers. And I have often noted that speed limits rarely serve a purpose other than to generate revenue for the state, certainly not a safety purpose. Definitely sounds like just a case of bad luck.

I think I've got speeding tickets in... hmm... about 10 states. But I'm not trying to beat Henning's record. :)

So you've obviously got a problem. Perhaps remedial driver's ed might help? As far as mentioning Patty's ticket, my thought when I wrote that was that she seems not to have the best of luck here in Wisconsin. Although, it isn't a matter of luck as much as choices. And some people make some pretty stupid choices, as you've proven to us. Speed on brother, Hell ain't half full (as the bumper sticker says...)
Scott Wilson

I can't top Henning--but I have 12 tickets in 4 states all within the last two years. No accidents--and I don't think I'd learn from remedial drivers ed.

She received one ticket in Wisconsin, big deal?

I've also tended to note that pilots are frequently better drivers.
Hahahahaha... snort. Pilots may be more comfortable with high speeds and a dynamic environment, but I have frequently observed pilots to be aggressive drivers. That would include me in my younger days.

On the subject of driving, it was my subjective feeling that I was a safer driver at 80 than I was at 55. 55 made me bored/sleepy, while I felt fully involved once the speed got up around 80.

Anybody else have the same experience?

Scott Wilson

I used to have a huge problem, I had a job which paid by the mile, haven't had that since 18 though. I may end up in Hell, but it sure won't be for speeding, never seen "Thou Shalt Not Speed" in the 10 comandments, the neighbors wife thing might burn me though...:rolleyes:

On the subject of driving, it was my subjective feeling that I was a safer driver at 80 than I was at 55. 55 made me bored/sleepy, while I felt fully involved once the speed got up around 80.

jesse tried to explain that to the Iowa State Patrol one night after getting pulled over at 100+ on his nighthawk on the interstate. he didnt buy it.

Hahahahaha... snort. Pilots may be more comfortable with high speeds and a dynamic environment, but I have frequently observed pilots to be aggressive drivers. That would include me in my younger days.

Maybe our groups are different. Sure, pilots may be more comfortable with high speeds and a dynamic environment, but they're also more observant and I would say more comfortable with making quick changes when the situation warrants. Most drivers like to just sit on their couch and be blissfully unaware of their surroundings.

Interestingly, my flight instructor is really annoying to be in a car with. He's on and off the gas hard a lot, not smooth at all in his driving (despite being very smooth in the air). But most of the pilots I know I actually don't mind riding with, and that says something since there are very few people whose cars I don't mind being a passenger in.

Yep, you bet I do. My brain starts to lose interest on the interstate below about 75. In the truck I can tolerate 70 (mainly due to the fuel economy), but in the Jag or on the motorcycle? Only if I'm in a lazy mood.

Driving fast doesn't kill people. Stupidity kills people, and stupidity can happen at any speed.

I used to have a huge problem, I had a job which paid by the mile, haven't had that since 18 though. I may end up in Hell, but it sure won't be for speeding, never seen "Thou Shalt Not Speed" in the 10 comandments, the neighbors wife thing might burn me though...:rolleyes:

St. Peter: "Henning, out of the seven deadly sins we count you have committed 19."
Henning: "Only? Whew, you guys obviously weren't paying attention to a good portion of my life there. So can I get in? Do I get put on some kind of waiting list or something?"

:rofl:

Wonder what'll burn me, I can count several things... ;)

Out west (ID, UT, MT) if you're not driving 100 you feel like you can walk faster.

Timmy - you're not that old ... :goofy:

This is why I drive a stick. It gets me much more involed in driving.

I used to agree, but once you get into 5th gear, its essentially an automatic at that point, and you can go hours without touching the stick, unfortunately.

Patty's 2008 charge is
Refuse to Take Test for Intoxication
Forf. U
That's a little worse than a speeding ticket...

I used to agree, but once you get into 5th gear, its essentially an automatic at that point, and you can go hours without touching the stick, unfortunately.

I own one of each, plus the motorcycle. That way, if I break my leg, I can just drive the truck (not that I'd be able to get in and out of the Jag with a broken leg, anyway).

I suppos I'm just an old man, though. I certainly feel more alert and engaged going fast, but I can go slow. If I'm really that tired, I should have some caffeine or take a nap. Mmm... nap sounds good right about now...

I used to leave the ranch, get the truck into 5th gear and not shift again for 635 miles when I'd stop for fuel.

Back