WAAS Zombie Satellite threatens cable TV

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Galaxy 15 is one of the satellites the FAA uses for rebroadcast of WAAS correction data. It's also not responding to commands and drifting towards other satellites.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/zombie-satellite-forces-evasive-maneuvers-100517.html

The two satellites pose little risk of crashing into each other, but Galaxy 15's C-band communications package is stuck on and could siphon away signals meant for other spacecraft if it strays too close. The Intelsat-operated Galaxy 15 went rogue on April 5, apparently due to a solar storm, its Virginia-based builder Orbital Sciences Corp., has said.

You mean we don't have missles ready at the push of a button to shoot the 'rogue' satellite down!? James Bond, you have led me astray.

You mean we don't have missles ready at the push of a button to shoot the 'rogue' satellite down!? James Bond, you have led me astray.

The chinese have ;) Maybe we should ask them. We buy everything else from there.

Last thing you want to do is destroy it in orbit... the worst thing about it hitting something else up there is that it will spread fragments. Too much space junk up there already.
but of course, in the movies, things in space just blow up completely, leaving no debris. So maybe a movie missile will do the trick, or Superman's heat-ray eyes. :D

Not sure what they plan to do about it, but if they can't regain control, it needs to be captured, or slowed down so it will re-enter in one piece.

Satellite, going rogue??

I'm thinking, it's sprouting arms and legs, a big head with antennae, with some sort of death laser on its chest.......

Last thing you want to do is destroy it in orbit... the worst thing about it hitting something else up there is that it will spread fragments. Too much space junk up there already.
but of course, in the movies, things in space just blow up completely, leaving no debris. So maybe a movie missile will do the trick, or Superman's heat-ray eyes. :D

Not sure what they plan to do about it, but if they can't regain control, it needs to be captured, or slowed down so it will re-enter in one piece.

No re-entries from geo-synch orbit. They are supposed to be boosted into a higher disposal orbit, but we can't talk to it, so.......we need Superman.

No re-entries from geo-synch orbit. They are supposed to be boosted into a higher disposal orbit, but we can't talk to it, so.......we need Superman.
Good point; those are rather high orbits, aren't they?

Sounds like a job for a future Space Shuttle mission.

:rofl::rofl:

If you mean a mission for a future space shuttle, then sure...
if it's requirements include going to geo-stationary orbits.

But getting to such high orbits might be a job for an unmanned
vehicle.

If its a zombie satellite does it like to eat people, or other satellites? And does it turn the other satellites into zombies when it does so?

If its a zombie satellite does it like to eat people, or other satellites? And does it turn the other satellites into zombies when it does so?

Naw, it just eats them...

You go out at night, eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercuries and Subarus
And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars

The point of the orbit being too high for the shuttle really sticks in my craw.. If NASA had not spent all it money on new technology made of unobtanium, they would have several Saturn V's just sitting around looking for a mission... Servicing that satellite is a piece of cake for a lifter that put men around the moon...

One old Saturn V and an Apollo capsule and you don't have to pay the ruuskies fifty mellion dollars a head for a ride to the space station... The technology is proven and the hardware is man rated... The companies that built all of it are still in business... The engineering drawings are quietly getting moldy in drawers... NASA could put in an order and in months take delivery of serial #2010-1 from the new production line...
sheesh, there goes my blood pressure... Not good for an old man...

denny-o

The point of the orbit being too high for the shuttle really sticks in my craw.. If NASA had not spent all it money on new technology made of unobtanium, they would have several Saturn V's just sitting around looking for a mission... Servicing that satellite is a piece of cake for a lifter that put men around the moon...

One old Saturn V and an Apollo capsule and you don't have to pay the ruuskies fifty mellion dollars a head for a ride to the space station... The technology is proven and the hardware is man rated... The companies that built all of it are still in business... The engineering drawings are quietly getting moldy in drawers... NASA could put in an order and in months take delivery of serial #2010-1 from the new production line...
sheesh, there goes my blood pressure... Not good for an old man...

denny-o

Actually, the engineering drawing are mostly tango uniform, and constructing a Saturn V, one of the most complex machines ever assembled and designed by Werner von Braun himself, may be a bit on the difficult side.

We spent $6.5 billion on the Saturn V and launched 13 of them, or about $500 million/launch. In today's dollars, that would be about $3.3 billion per launch - and that doesn't include the spacecraft, just the rocket...

We spent $6.5 billion on the Saturn V and launched 13 of them, or about $500 million/launch. In today's dollars, that would be about $3.3 billion per launch - and that doesn't include the spacecraft, just the rocket...

Seems cheap, when you think about the chaos that will reign if we lose cable TV.

Back