W&B document question

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
This came up today: the W&B document must be in the aircraft - can it be a copy or does it have to be the signed original?

This came up today: the W&B document must be in the aircraft - can it be a copy or does it have to be the signed original?
There's no regulatory requirement to have the original version onboard. So long as it shows the current certified/signed empty weight and CG data with its associated equipment list it's good. This also includes all data if you use a rolling EWBCG system like a Form A, B, C system. Some mechanics are even known to reduce the original documents to a format that fits into your average POH/AFM/RFM to ensure these docs stay in the aircraft.

:yeahthat:

Heck, I'm not even sure what "original" means in this modern era. When my avionics shop swapped radios for me last year, they emailed me the updated W&B as a pdf scan of a spreadsheet with signature. Is "original" the first one I print out?

I keep a copy in the plane along with a updated equipment list, plus a copy in my maintenance records. The original, whatever that means, is stored on my laptop.

Same here, mine is a printout of the spreadsheet I maintain.

Heck, I'm not even sure what "original" means in this modern era.
It means the same thing it did in past eras. Only the FAA can issue a simple document copy with the same effect of the original pen/ink signed hardcopy. Owners and operators have to follow other routes. The prevailing guidance in AC43.9 and AC120-78 touches on this. Regardless, you’ll find having the original ink-signed document on-hand is the easiest and cheapest way for your average private Part 91 owner to stay “FAA-compliant” especially for those required owner-controlled records like the 91.417 permanent records or a certified empty weight report.

Back