Vulcan Flies Again!!!

maddog52

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
maddog52
No, not the Spock type. A group in the UK restored a Vulcan Bomber to flying condition. It is a very impressive machine. I watched a Vulcan do flight demo at RAF Fairford during the International Air Tattoo in 1989. The pilot did an amazing job of using the incredible maneuverability of the plane to keep it over the field during almost all of the flight. It was amazing to see something that big doing those kinds of maneuvers.

I got a chance to sit in it during the show and let me tell you, It ain't big on the inside. My hats off to the group that got her flying again. Here's a link to the restoration groups website. The latest AVFLASH article also has links to some cool video.
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

Maddog

Last edited:
I saw a Vulcan crash into a landfill immediately north of the Glenview (Illinois) Naval Air Station in the 1970s I think. The crew saved a lot of lives given the housing around that base.

It's nice to see a big bomber being restored.

I saw a Vulcan crash into a landfill immediately north of the Glenview (Illinois) Naval Air Station in the 1970s I think. The crew saved a lot of lives given the housing around that base.

It's nice to see a big bomber being restored.
I remember that crash. Late '70's, IIRC. My Dad drove me over to see it, though I hadn't realized it was a Vulcan until now. Yes, it's good that she's flying again.

August, 1978 according to the GNAS Base Closure Magazine Final Salute: http://www.glenview.il.us/glen/Download Files/GNAS-The Final Salute-1937-1995.pdf.
Four perished.

Last edited:
Glad to see they've got one flying again. Saw one perform at the Dayton air show in 1977 but they did not do any aerobatics due to the Ill. crash? Not sure, it was still an impressive performace especially when you got up close to the plane and saw how "crude" it was compaired to todays "sophisticated" aircraft. In the early 90's a Vulcan used as an aerial tanker was kept on the ramp in Bahrain.
Ron

I remember that crash. Late '70's, IIRC. My Dad drove me over to see it, though I hadn't realized it was a Vulcan until now. Yes, it's good that she's flying again.

August, 1978 according to the GNAS Base Closure Magazine Final Salute: http://www.glenview.il.us/glen/Download Files/GNAS-The Final Salute-1937-1995.pdf.
Four perished.

We moved within 1 mile of runway 9/27 in 1969. I was 18 when the Vulcan crashed. My dad (WWII AAF) and I would sit on our patio and watch the Skyhawks (the jet version ;)), F-4s, P-3s, and C-130s come right over our house, and loved every minute of it. It wasn't a good weekend unless the house shook at least once.

Glad to see they've got one flying again. Saw one perform at the Dayton air show in 1977 but they did not do any aerobatics due to the Ill. crash? Not sure, it was still an impressive performace especially when you got up close to the plane and saw how "crude" it was compaired to todays "sophisticated" aircraft. In the early 90's a Vulcan used as an aerial tanker was kept on the ramp in Bahrain.
Ron
No, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the IL (Glenview) crash was 8/78, so either you have the year wrong or the crash was not causal to the lack of aerobatics.

I grew up in eastern Washington state. Fairchild AFB (near Spokane) would host the SAC bombing competition and the RAF would participate. We'd get B-52s over the town at low altitudes, and once I remember a Vulcan going overhead. What a neat looking bird. That was back in the 1960s.

I remember the crash at NAS Glennview, IL as a child. My friends and I were playing (with a bb gun) in a large grass field located in base housing that had a vantage point of the crash and the railroad tracks that ran parallel to the grass field. Being the son of a P3 flight engineer, I dreamed of becoming a pilot so watching flyovers and identifying aircraft was a common game between my dad and myself (who was stationed with VP-90 at that time). Most of us kids knew that British were in town and always stopped what we were doing when the Vulcan took off. It was a unique aircraft at that time. Besides, when it did takeoff, all of the homes windows would rattle - base housing wasn't the best. As the Vulcan headed down the runway to takeoff we could hear it, so we paused to guess what was going to take off. When the Vulcan appeared, engines roaring, over the roof line of the local townhouses (base housing) it seemed to be at a 45 degree angle, steep compared to the C-130's and P-3's at that time regularly seen taking off. Some of my friends were contemplating a shot at the plane with the bb gun, as if it could range the aircraft. Forgot who actually did shoot the bb gun, but immediately after takeoff, the aircraft made a thump sound, then a ring shaped object fell from the rear of the plane as the plane quickly nosed up, hard to the left and then over nose down into the landfill, when we heard a large explosive sound and seen huge dark smoke cloud. All of us kids ran to our homes at that point. My dad was just getting up from his recliner when I made it to the front screen door, saying "i didn't do it" over and over again. My dad was immediately frustrated with me and when he looked out the screen door he seen the smoke plum and uttered Holy S**!, ran out a few feet, and then back inside to get his camera. At that time, I thought my dad knew what I had done along with my friends, and that we were in big trouble having caused the crash with that bb gun. Dad took some photos from our home front door of the smoke plum. He explained to me later what had happened and that we (my friends and I) didn't cause the crash with a bb gun, then I received my up and comings for playing with the bb gun. After recently watching a James Bond film "Thunderball," where a vulcan bomber was highjacked and sunk in the ocean. That is what brought me to recall information about the crash in Glennview. I actually do not remember the exact time of day, but I know that it must have been in the afternoon.

I remember the crash at NAS Glennview, IL as a child. My friends and I were playing (with a bb gun) in a large grass field located in base housing that had a vantage point of the crash and the railroad tracks that ran parallel to the grass field. Being the son of a P3 flight engineer, I dreamed of becoming a pilot so watching flyovers and identifying aircraft was a common game between my dad and myself (who was stationed with VP-90 at that time). Most of us kids knew that British were in town and always stopped what we were doing when the Vulcan took off. It was a unique aircraft at that time. Besides, when it did takeoff, all of the homes windows would rattle - base housing wasn't the best. As the Vulcan headed down the runway to takeoff we could hear it, so we paused to guess what was going to take off. When the Vulcan appeared, engines roaring, over the roof line of the local townhouses (base housing) it seemed to be at a 45 degree angle, steep compared to the C-130's and P-3's at that time regularly seen taking off. Some of my friends were contemplating a shot at the plane with the bb gun, as if it could range the aircraft. Forgot who actually did shoot the bb gun, but immediately after takeoff, the aircraft made a thump sound, then a ring shaped object fell from the rear of the plane as the plane quickly nosed up, hard to the left and then over nose down into the landfill, when we heard a large explosive sound and seen huge dark smoke cloud. All of us kids ran to our homes at that point. My dad was just getting up from his recliner when I made it to the front screen door, saying "i didn't do it" over and over again. My dad was immediately frustrated with me and when he looked out the screen door he seen the smoke plum and uttered Holy S**!, ran out a few feet, and then back inside to get his camera. At that time, I thought my dad knew what I had done along with my friends, and that we were in big trouble having caused the crash with that bb gun. Dad took some photos from our home front door of the smoke plum. He explained to me later what had happened and that we (my friends and I) didn't cause the crash with a bb gun, then I received my up and comings for playing with the bb gun. After recently watching a James Bond film "Thunderball," where a vulcan bomber was highjacked and sunk in the ocean. That is what brought me to recall information about the crash in Glennview. I actually do not remember the exact time of day, but I know that it must have been in the afternoon.

Mark:

What fine first post! Welcome to PoA, and thanks.

I used to be stationed at Offutt AFB in Nebraska where the Brits had a Vulcan Det.. Sorry to see them go. [[ this was decades ago :redface:]]

Sure, they may be a Brit Bird, but would still be nice if the (formerly) Confederate Air Force could get a hold of one and get it on tour <but realize that it would never happen>

Back