VRF Flight Plan activation from Clearance Delivery

jackog

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jackog
Hello~ I live under the Class B in Cincinnati. I want to file a VFR flight from my local airport under the Class B. Is it acceptable to call Clearance Delivery to activate my VFR flight plan prior to takeoff to "activate VFR with hand off"? or will they decline to do this.

I asked this question as I had seen a Youtube vid of "ask ATC" and it implied that CD could be used to open a VFR flight plan. But alas, I had never seen it done. The best reply is that CD is for IFR releases and Flight Services for VFR releases, which makes sense. Thanks to all those that replied.

Jack

Last edited:
Hello Jack. Welcome.

First thing to realize is that you are asking about two completely different things. A VFR flight plan is designed solely to arrange for search and rescue in case you don't close it and has no ATC function. So, unless it happens to be a very quiet day with a very nice controller, the answer is very likely to be, "call Flight Service yourself."

OTOH, a VFR "hand off" is an ATC flight following function having nothing to do with the existence or nonexistence of a filed flight plan. It going to pretty much automatic departing from Class B or C but whether a Class D Tower will make the arrangements for you varies a lot in the US. There are Class Ds that will arrange it automatically, those that will do it on request, and those that will not do it at all.

For those Class Ds that will, unless it is one of a few that ask departing VFR aircraft to call CD for departure instructions, you'd just ask Ground.

For your Class D and B area, if no one answers here who knows, all you can do is ask Ground next time. If you are talking about a nontowered airport, the most likely answer is no, remote CD frequencies are almost exclusively designed to facilitate IFR departures.

To add to Mark's excellent post if you are referring to the vfr flight plan you file with flight service.

I have capability to talk to their in flight personnel, however, I don't know if they have the ability to activate vfr flight plans from their computer. If they don't, my only option is to call FSS on a phone (that's assuming the controller is a pilot and knows the number in the first place). I may not be able to do that until I go on break maybe two hours from your request. At that point it's useless.

You can request, from CD or ground control, activation of a previously filed VFR flight plan upon your departure. It would actually be the tower controller who would need to make the call (or have someone else in the tower make the call for him/her), because you don't want activation of the FP until you're airborne.

Even if you request it and they say they can, confirm with tower controller on your departure that the FP was activated.

A VFR flight plan is designed solely to arrange for search and rescue in case you don't close it and has no ATC function.

This is, of course, unless you speak to someone in MSM, who feels that the lack of a flight plan, for whatever reason, including ramp repositioning, will guarantee a crash with all lives lost ... :rolleyes2:

You can request, from CD or ground control, activation of a previously filed VFR flight plan upon your departure. It would actually be the tower controller who would need to make the call (or have someone else in the tower make the call for him/her), because you don't want activation of the FP until you're airborne.

Even if you request it and they say they can, confirm with tower controller on your departure that the FP was activated.

Or just call FSS on 122.2 (or whatever the local RCO is) and do it yourself. Literally takes 30 seconds if you don't play 20 questions.

Though I prefer otherwise, I've opened flight plans while on flight following in crowded airspace. CAP requires it over 50 miles. If you leave Approach/Center's frequency, let them know before you do it.

Last edited:
The first two responses tell you all you need to know: VFR flight plans are a Flight Service function, while clearance delivery is an ATC function. What you suggest is possible, but it involves people going out of their way and bending some jurisdictional boundaries to accommodate you. Play by the rules and take ATC out of the flight plan conversation.

Bob Gardner

jackog, you have good answers here, but there is a better way to deal with questions like this: Call the ATC facility on the phone and ask. If it's business hours, just ask for the duty supervisor. Outside business hours, that's who will probably answer.

I couldn't even tell you how many times I have called Center, the local TRACON, or the local tower with questions. Without exception, I have found them to be helpful, patient, and informed. I even called AFRCC one time with the same result. Occasionally I will have a question that stumps the person on the phone (making me quite proud!). At that point they will talk to others in the facility to get me an answer.

Big airports, like your Class B, usually have a couple of "push" periods/rush hour in the AM and around 6PM. Try not to call during the push. You'll get more detailed answers if things are slow.

Hello~ I live under the Class B in Cincinnati. I want to file a VFR flight from my local airport under the Class B. Is it acceptable to call Clearance Delivery to activate my VFR flight plan prior to takeoff to "activate VFR with hand off"? or will they decline to do this.

I asked this question as I had seen a Youtube vid of "ask ATC" and it implied that CD could be used to open a VFR flight plan. But alas, I had never seen it done. The best reply is that CD is for IFR releases and Flight Services for VFR releases, which makes sense. Thanks to all those that replied.

Jack

Either you misunderstood the video, or you were watching a Canadian video (in Canada ATC can open and close VFR flight plans). Otherwise, if you ask TC to do it, and they're nice, they'll do exactly wht you'd do: pick up the phone and call FSS.

Well, not exactly the same: you can also open and close flight plans via the afss.com website. That's the easiest thing to do.

The first two responses tell you all you need to know: VFR flight plans are a Flight Service function, while clearance delivery is an ATC function. What you suggest is possible, but it involves people going out of their way and bending some jurisdictional boundaries to accommodate you. Play by the rules and take ATC out of the flight plan conversation.

Bob Gardner

:yeahthat: What Bob said. :yes:

I've always just called 1-800-WXBRIEF right before engine start and asked them to activate my flight plan 10 minutes from now. After I land and shut down, I call them back to close it.

j
I couldn't even tell you how many times I have called Center, the local TRACON, or the local tower with questions. Without exception, I have found them to be helpful, patient, and informed. I even called AFRCC one time with the same result. Occasionally I will have a question that stumps the person on the phone (making me quite proud!). At that point they will talk to others in the facility to get me an answer.

I have yet to find a controller or other ATC personnel who is not at least somewhat helpful. Most go FAR out of their way to explain things.

On my student (long) cross-country, I made a fuel stop at Fresno Chandler. It had a CD frequency listed in the A/FD at the time, physically located at the nearby Class C (Fresno Yosemite). I called it and asked for flight following. The very pleasant controller at the other end patiently explained that the frequency was for IFR clearances, and I should contact Approach at 119.0 to get what I want. Oh and by the way have a nice flight.

I can't sing enough praises for KFAT controllers. Every interaction I've had with them has been exceptionally pleasant, even when I knew it was high stress on their end.

Last time I filed a VFR flight plan I was a student pilot.

Why not just get FF, are you crossing a international boarder in a VFR only plane or something?

I've always just called 1-800-WXBRIEF right before engine start and asked them to activate my flight plan 10 minutes from now. After I land and shut down, I call them back to close it.

Back in the days when I opened VFR flight plans, I never thought to call them prior to departure, that's a good idea.

In this day an age, with bluetooth becoming more common, you could even do it shortly before departure.

Back in the days when I opened VFR flight plans, I never thought to call them prior to departure, that's a good idea.

In this day an age, with bluetooth becoming more common, you could even do it shortly before departure.
Or you can wait 5 minutes and call the the old fashioned way after departure.

Why not just get FF, are you crossing a international boarder in a VFR only plane or something?
Maybe he'd like a backup in case that controller is extra busy and denies that "workload permitting" service? Not often but I have heard Flight Following refused or VFR calls simply not answered.

Maybe he'd like a backup in case that controller is extra busy and denies that "workload permitting" service? Not often but I have heard Flight Following refused or VFR calls simply not answered.

There are some places where radar flight following is not possible due to lack of radar or radio coverage. Sierra crossings at naturally-aspirated altitudes are very often like that. And that kind of terrain is exactly where a VFR flight plan will do the most good.

Radar holes are fairly common, but they are much easier to deal with when you aren't around really high terrain. I've had to climb a number of times to maintain flight following.

All of these responses highlight one of the many reasons I got my instrument rating and file IFR everywhere I go:

1 - I hate the "frequency change request" dance. Depart towered field, request change, spend 5 minutes with FSS waiting in line, open flight plan, backdate departure time, etc. Wanna change something? Rinse and repeat..

2 - Even when I wanted to go through all the steps in point 1, when I go VFR I want to enjoy the flight not swapping through frequencies.

3 - Plans changes? Guess who you need to contact again, yep, FSS.

At MOST I'll pick up FF, unless I'm headed somewhere farther away. I do usually file, I just don't activate.

IFR is just...simpler. But hey, if you do go through all those hoops and want to fly in the system on a VFR plan definitely just activate in the air using FSS, don't put the burden on tower to do it for you. Otherwise just go FF or 1200.

The reason I file, but not activate is mostly for the briefing and pop up warnings from 1800WXBRIEF online. If a sigmet comes up or something else they'll send me a notification along my proposed route.

Also gives me something easy to edit if something changes to get another briefing real quick. I'm more of a "web briefing" kinda guy, I don't call a briefer unless something odd comes up or I need to close the plan (if I've activated).

Plus most places I'd file but not activate are under 2 hours (which is about the time your flight plan stays in the system). If I went down with a mayday on one of those trips the flight plan would still be around, or whomever I was meeting would know I was late.

In that case I'd rather just get a SPOT or spidertrax and let a responsible and capable friend know.

Unless I'm going into busy airspace or over a few hundred NM VFR, I really don't bother with any of it.

For me at least

1 Just airport to airport freqs

2 VFR FF (typically only for over a few hundred NM VFR flight)

3 IFR

4 SPOT and a friend, for sketchy remote areas where ATC can't help

Only place a VFR flight plan would enter my mind would be if I was brining a VFR only plane across the boarder.

Still, whatever you are most comfy with is all that matters.

All of these responses highlight one of the many reasons I got my instrument rating and file IFR everywhere I go:

1 - I hate the "frequency change request" dance. Depart towered field, request change, spend 5 minutes with FSS waiting in line, open flight plan, backdate departure time, etc. Wanna change something? Rinse and repeat..

2 - Even when I wanted to go through all the steps in point 1, when I go VFR I want to enjoy the flight not swapping through frequencies.

3 - Plans changes? Guess who you need to contact again, yep, FSS.

At MOST I'll pick up FF, unless I'm headed somewhere farther away. I do usually file, I just don't activate.

IFR is just...simpler. But hey, if you do go through all those hoops and want to fly in the system on a VFR plan definitely just activate in the air using FSS, don't put the burden on tower to do it for you. Otherwise just go FF or 1200.

Not necessary: AIM 4-3-2(b).

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Incidentally, at Tucson, the ATIS mentions that VFR pilots contacting clearance delivery can ask for flight following. They'll coordinate with Albuquerque Center to get you a squawk code before you depart.

Thanks Bob, I'll look at that.

I can receive and send texts, just not from the air. Phone doesn't work at all actually from anything higher than a thousand feet (if that). I do "occasionally" get emails that come in when I happen to get more than a half-bar of signal, but hardly reliable.

Maybe I'll get a handheld one of these days and just use that..be easier than swapping radios and/or would give the wifey or pax something to do.

Who files VFR flight plans after their check ride anyhow?

Back