VOR

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,

Would someone please provide me with a link for the VOR program.

It shows your airplane on the screen and you can watch the VOR change as you move the airplane around. Also it has a feature where it will hide the airplane and you figure out where you are.

Thanks,
Terry :D

Probably the second one Ron linked to. Tim's is really good for this.

Another one I really like is http://www.lunabase.org/~faber/Vault/software/hold_quiz/applet.html

It's a quizzing applet and, if you uncheck "North is up" it's a great way to learn how to visualize the hold and the entry directly on the DG - the ultimate explanation for all those pencil and finger tips.

Cool, got to love the internet...or at least some of it. This is helpful as I've been trying to explain proper VOR flying techniques to a friend of mine. He is very GPS centric and never learned to fly via VORs. I always plan VORs into my flight even when I'm DIRECT, just in case.

Subject of another thread to be sure but it is a scary thought that the Feds may soon decommission our VOR network in lieu of a GPS only airspace. I for one have had two complete GPS failures; one due to a failed GNS530 WAAS antenna that effectively jammed ALL GPS signals including my backup handheld. Yes I was in the soup over FL and without the VOR backup I'd been at the mercy of ATC.

Subject of another thread to be sure but it is a scary thought that the Feds may soon decommission our VOR network in lieu of a GPS only airspace.
I think the word "soon" might be used only in millenial terms. The FAA is at least a decade away from complete conversion to GPS, probably a lot more, and the issues you describe only begin to cover the problems to be solved.

If I recall the FAA was on track to shut down the first 200 VOR's in 2005. The hue and cry was so great the shutdowns did not occur.

If I recall the FAA was on track to shut down the first 200 VOR's in 2005. The hue and cry was so great the shutdowns did not occur.

It seems that instead of shutting them down, they've just let them deteriorate and/or fail without providing any maintenance. Lots of VORs out there with huge regions of "unusable". One case in point (although this one's problems are likely because it was moved and the frequency was changed) the terminal VOR at my home base (KFCM)

NOTAM: FCM 02/072 FCM NAV VOR/DME UNUSBL 290-305 BLW 4000.

290-305 doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that the 300° radial off FCM defines the border between the 4000 MSL extension and the higher 7000 shelf.

Back