Vor on Foreflight

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
This may seem silly, but
How can you pull up a vor that is not part of an approach on Foreflight?

Thanks

What do you mean "pull up"? You can always enter it in the route of flight either by typing in the 3-letter ID or by dragging the rubber band to its location on the map. If you tap on it on the map, you get the identifier and frequency. Or are you looking for a quick way to go to its entry in the A/FD?

Thanks
I wanted to fly out of KTME in western Houston fly to the Industry vor and then to the Eagle Lake Vor approach for practice.
I can pull the ELA approach up but getting the Industry vor has me stumped. I want to show it the path on the enroute low chart

Not sure if this what you are looking for but to add a vor direct or add to route you touch the map page in the general area of the VOR and bring up the add to route box. Then you can select NAV for a list of all the nav aids in that area (with frequency) then you can add the one you want to the route.

Works for way points also, pretty slick.

Or just drag your route line over to anywhere you want.

The FF rep at AOPA summit was talking about the usefulness of the rubber band routing when flying IFR and dealing with a tactical weather issue.

Pre FF and EFB's you had to ask for a deviation of xx° for so many minutes. This would be permitted, but you would get out of your "pre-programmed" protected airspace bubble and ATC would have to do a bit more work keep the separation working as needed.

Now with FF, and the ability to "rubber band" to a named intersection, you can make the change on your iPad, see the name of the intersection that appears under your finger, and ask to be cleared to that waypoint or waypoints. Since that intersection is in the ATC system, your cleared route can be updated and the clearance amended, and you're still in your protected bubble.

As said, it is a very neat and useful feature.

I went out tonight and tried it, works great! Appreciate all the input, just what i needed

The other day I found out you can put in radials and DME from a VOR in as well...

I used this in my VFR flight plan the other day in fore flight. I left KUES on runway heading towards the 191R on the Badger VOR then turned south on heading for the XC.

KUES BAE/191/4.75 TRUDO ........

The format for using that is VOR/Radial/DME

The other day I found out you can put in radials and DME from a VOR in as well...

I used this in my VFR flight plan the other day in fore flight. I left KUES on runway heading towards the 191R on the Badger VOR then turned south on heading for the XC.

Cool! I'll have to remember that.

You can do it off of any waypoint in the database, not just VORs.

When the first added this functionality (I think it was last Spring) it was navaid only but a number of us (including me) suggested it would be helpful to be able, for example, to create a course from an airport to assist in following a text ODP. The change was made within days.

Same format: Waypoint/CourseFrom/Distance

Cool.

It works for ADFs, and airports, too.

Now with FF, and the ability to "rubber band" to a named intersection, you can make the change on your iPad, see the name of the intersection that appears under your finger, and ask to be cleared to that waypoint or waypoints. Since that intersection is in the ATC system, your cleared route can be updated and the clearance amended, and you're still in your protected bubble.

As said, it is a very neat and useful feature.

When you rubber band the route to a location, you can also choose the latitude longitude of the point your finger is at by choosing the top entry. No need to make it a user waypoint or that it be a named waypoint.

When you rubber band the route to a location, you can also choose the latitude longitude of the point your finger is at by choosing the top entry. No need to make it a user waypoint or that it be a named waypoint.

True that. My info was about finding the nearest available known FAA waypoint (the triangle and 5 character identifier)

You don't have to enter the slashes. Try: EWN EWN090025. That plots the radial.

Is there an easy way, while in flight, to find your position as a DME and radial on a nearby VOR, using FF?

When I give Pireps to Flight Services, that's how I've been giving my position, and it would be nice to get that from FF.

Is there an easy way, while in flight, to find your position as a DME and radial on a nearby VOR, using FF?

When I give Pireps to Flight Services, that's how I've been giving my position, and it would be nice to get that from FF.

If you use the two finger method for measuring distance look at the top of the legend. It will give the radial bearing on either end.

You can set one of the Instruments on the instrument bar at the bottom of the map to display Nearest Navaid. It will display the ID (Frequency) radial and distance all the time.

Back