petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
736 VOR and NDB approaches to be cut.

And more info on the VOR reduction...

AOPA Story said:
The FAA said “complexity and cost” ruled out maintaining all existing approach infrastructure during the transition to new technology. The agency originally set a target of reducing the number of VORs from approximately 967 operating in late 2012 to 500 in service by Jan. 1, 2020, the target date for full implementation of NextGen. However, based on industry feedback and coverage requirements, the FAA has revised that target to 867 VORs in service by Jan. 1, 2020, and 667 by 2025.

AOPA's Story

The FAA Page with IAP List

The List in Excel

NPRM Link

Keep in mind those are VOR approaches being cut, not VORs.

I spot checked several local VORs (e.g., SJC and SNS) where only some of the associated approaches are cut.

Palo Alto, for instance, is not on the list. Its VOR approach uses SJC. SJC's own VOR approaches are on the list. Similarly, Salinas' VOR approach is spared, but Watsonville's, which uses the same VOR, is cut.

Its interesting that in the VOR approach list I don't see (casual inspection in New England) any instances where they're decommissioning all of the approaches from a VOR. I expected this to be the first step towards the MON by dropping the approaches from the VORs that will be cut enabling them to stop maintenance on them as they fail.

I hope they don't get rid of the VOR 6 into HWV! I've shot that approach so many times during my Instrument training and it was on my checkride.

Back