Voodoo sets new speed record.

My neighbor drove his giant RV out there for the races. Hope to see some great footage when he returns home!

Besides the obvious impressive aspects, what's also impressive is that his oil pressure was starting to go south on him on the 3rd pass. The 4th pass was slower because he had to shorten the turn to get the 4th pass in on a sick engine, and killed some speed in the process.

It's sad what is "newsworthy" and what's not these days. I posted some well wishes on Voodoo's FB page prior to the attempt. One of the things I mentioned is that I really admire folks who are a throwback to a (sadly) bygone era where people got their hands dirty to attempt something like this for the simple achievement. One of the draws for me to the air races is that they also remind me of the period in time that this was the case.

Some of us are still peeved that the FAI screwed around with the rules to take away Lyle Shelton's record.
But it's still an impressive speed.

The FAI can do what they want on paper, but at the end of the day, no one can take that achievement away from Lyle. He was one of the true icons of air racing and he did it in an airplane that was infamous for being cranky...

Back