Visual Approach under IFR

I don't use "with you" when checking in; it's not in the AIM as proper phraseology.

However... here's an interesting "other side" to it, as to when it might be appropriate vs. when it's definitely NOT appropriate... think about it from a controller's point of view:

http://www.avweb.com/news/avtraining/183269-1.html said:
A Word About "With You"

When level at an assigned altitude, many pilots say "with you at..." when they check in with a new controller. It makes no difference if you report "Trainer zero-zero-zero-zero-zero with you at six-thousand" or "Trainer zero-zero-zero-zero-zero at six-thousand." Personally, I prefer "at" because it's shorter. The extra two syllables may not seem significant, but when the frequency is busy, every little bit helps. Both reports are widely used and are acceptable.

Occasionally, pilots use "with you" when they make their initial call to ATC, or when a controller tells them to squawk 1200 (VFR, no radar service) and then suggests they contact the next ATC facility on a given frequency. This often happens when a VFR pilot, who isn't yet familiar with how the ATC system works, makes his initial call for flight following.

The controller may be confused for a moment as he scans his radar targets, flight progress strips (strips of paper with information on aircraft already within the system), or computer read-outs trying in vain to find information about the call sign he just heard.

When you make your first call to ATC, say something such as "Boston Center, Trainer zero-zero-zero-zero-zero, over Madison VOR, request flight following." The controller will immediately know you're a new flight that needs to be identified and processed. Save "with you..." for subsequent reports, when you check in after one controller hands you off to another.

Also, if you're receiving flight following from one facility and the controller says "Radar service terminated, squawk twelve-hundred, suggest you contact Houston Approach on one-two-four-point-six" - this is not a hand-off to the next facility. Chances are the Houston approach controller doesn't know anything about you. You will have to start the identification process all over again.

alaskaflyer said:
Oh.....my....sweet....mother....are we going to get into this again? :rolleyes:

[bangs head on table repeatedly]

Will the wall do?

97729975_6b24129899_o.gif

Just becuase it drives some controller nuts, doesn't mean it is a useless phrase. 'Checking In', just means that I'm here and not expecting anything else.

While I don't want to purposefully annoy those nice guys in the tower, they can deal with it. Heaven forbid you happen to say "Checking in... with you..." That would really ruin some controller's day!

In response to those poorly trained military pilots, think of the money spent on their training then the money spent on reworking the AIM to correct it! YIKES!

Would you not agree that a controller handing you off has already coordinated the handoff prior to handing you off and therefore the receiving handee already knows that the passing hander is giving you to him before the hander even makes the radio call to instruct you to change to the handee's frequency which in the case of the "change to my frequency" situation it is even more redundant to advise the handee that you are in contact with him upon contacting him because having established contact he already expects you have simultaneously established the fact that you are in fact "with him/her" figuratively speaking, not literally speaking as that would mean you are physically in the same room/vicinity with the handee and not merely communicating via electromagnetic propagation?

B)

gibbons said:
Sorry, I don't agree about the "with you" call. I use "with you" or "checking in" to indicate that I've been handed off to this controller, and that I'm not simply popping up out of nowhere. If I have not been handed off and am making an initial call to the controller I don't use either term. In 30 years of flying I've never been chastized for doing it - Well, until now.

(Going to be hard getting a seat in the front of the Extra next year Ed if you're serious about staying 50 miles away :rofl: :rofl: )

Chip
(retarded and lazy)

N2212R said:
It's all Barry's fault. He started the thread.

My thread's been highjacked!!!!

I beg to differ Ed. The words "with you" appear nowhere in my post.

You're just sore because I said I had a life!:rofl:

gibbons said:
(Going to be hard getting a seat in the front of the Extra next year Ed if you're serious about staying 50 miles away :rofl: :rofl: )

Won't be there.

N2212R said:
When I hear "with you" or "any traffic..." my mind immediately translates this to:

"I'm retarded"
and
"I'm lazy"

I hope that I am not within 50 miles of those yohans, and we are not on intersecting courses.

50 bucks says Troy Martin used these terms.

Hmm, that's strange--Ed never has a second cup of coffee. . . .

If the Tower doesn't know you are IFR when you check in, somebody bobbled the handoff from Approach. You should never have to tell a controller whether you're IFR or not on your check-in call on a handoff.

Ron Levy said:
If the Tower doesn't know you are IFR when you check in, somebody bobbled the handoff from Approach. You should never have to tell a controller whether you're IFR or not on your check-in call on a handoff.
Agreed, but it happens all the time.

Steve said:
Would you not agree that a controller handing you off has already coordinated the handoff prior to handing you off and therefore the receiving handee already knows that the passing hander is giving you to him before the hander even makes the radio call to instruct you to change to the handee's frequency which in the case of the "change to my frequency" situation it is even more redundant to advise the handee that you are in contact with him upon contacting him because having established contact he already expects you have simultaneously established the fact that you are in fact "with him/her" figuratively speaking, not literally speaking as that would mean you are physically in the same room/vicinity with the handee and not merely communicating via electromagnetic propagation?

B)

Holy cow, that is one hell of a sentence!

Back