Visual approach clearance

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I've had a couple cases now where I've received a visual approach clearance prior to reporting the field in sight. Not a big deal, flying to the LOM and intercepting the LOC is easy enough. I had ASSumed previously the controller had to verify the pilot had the field in sight prior to issuing the approach clearance. Is that not the case?

+1 on John's comment....don't be too quick to report the field in sight, even if it is.

Bob Gardner

Yes, that is not the case, but the exceptions to it are limited to when you are following another plane and have reported that plane in sight. See FAA Order 7110.65, Section 7-4-3 for details, including that exception in paragraph c2.
7−4−3. CLEARANCE FOR VISUAL
APPROACH
ARTCCs and approach controls may clear aircraft for
visual approaches using the following procedures:
NOTE​
Towers may exercise this authority when authorized by a

LOA with the facility that provides the IFR service, or by
a facility directive at collocated facilities.
a.​
Controllers may initiate, or pilots may request,
a visual approach even when an aircraft is being
vectored for an instrument approach and the pilot
subsequently reports:
1.​
The airport or the runway in sight at airports
with operating control towers.
2.​
The airport in sight at airports without a
control tower.
b.​
Resolve potential conflicts with all other
aircraft, advise an overtaking aircraft of the distance
to the preceding aircraft and speed difference, and
ensure that weather conditions at the airport are VFR
or that the pilot has been informed that weather is not
available for the destination airport. Upon pilot
request, advise the pilot of the frequency to receive
weather information where AWOS/ASOS is available.
PHRASEOLOGY​
(Call sign) (control instructions as required) CLEARED

VISUAL APPROACH RUNWAY (number);
or
(Call sign) (control instructions as required) CLEARED
VISUAL APPROACH TO (airport name)
(and if appropriate)
WEATHER NOT AVAILABLE OR VERIFY THAT YOU
HAVE THE (airport) WEATHER.
REFERENCE​
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 7−2−1, Visual Separation.

c.​
Clear an aircraft for a visual approach when:
1.​
The aircraft is number one in the approach
sequence, or
2.​
The aircraft is to follow a preceding aircraft
and the pilot reports the preceding aircraft in sight and
is instructed to follow it, or
NOTE​
The pilot need not report the airport/runway in sight.

3.​
The pilot reports the airport or runway in sight
but not the preceding aircraft. Radar separation must
be maintained until visual separation is provided.
d.​
All aircraft following a heavy jet/B757 must be
informed of the airplane manufacturer and/or model.
EXAMPLE​
“Cessna Three Four Juliet, following a Boeing 757, 12

o’clock, six miles.”
or
“Cessna Three Four Juliet, following a Seven fifty seven,
12 o’clock, six miles.”
REFERENCE​
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para.2

−4−21, Description of Aircraft Types.

e.​
Inform the tower of the aircraft’s position prior
to communications transfer at controlled airports.
ARTS/STARS functions may be used provided a
facility directive or LOA specifies control and
communication transfer points.
f.​
In addition to the requirements of para 7−4−2,
Vectors for Visual Approach, and subparas a, b, c, d,
and e, ensure that the location of the destination
airport is provided when the pilot is asked to report
the destination airport in sight.
g.​
In those instances where airports are located in
close proximity, also provide the location of the
airport that may cause the confusion.
EXAMPLE​
“Cessna Five Six November, Cleveland Burke Lakefront

Airport is at 12 o’clock, 5 miles. Cleveland Hopkins
Airport is at 1 o’clock 12 miles. Report Cleveland Hopkins
in sight.”
REFERENCE​
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 7−4−4, Approaches to Multiple Runways.

I have only been given a visual ,when I call field in sight. Never in a hurry to do that.

You need to have the airport/runway in sight or the preceding traffic in sight.

In the future, I'd advise that you don't have the runway in sight.

Which I did, but got the clearance anyway.

In this latest case, I had landed there many times previously, so I wasn't too worried but thought it was odd to be cleared for a visual when I did not report having it in sight.

Thanks for the replies.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/ATC/atc0704.html

You need to have the airport/runway in sight or the preceding traffic in sight.

In the future, I'd advise that you don't have the runway in sight.
Yes, controllers are just people and they sometimes get complacent and make assumptions. Coming into Rapid City Regional some years ago recieving vectors for a visual from (I assume) the military approach controller at Ellsworth AFB in variable visibility in snow showers he cleared me for the visual. I replied "negative, I DO NOT have the airport in sight", so he offered me the ILS, I said no, just vector me in a little closer....I think I'll find it. FWIW I wasn't familiar with Rapid city or I'd have probably requested a contact approach.

Peerlesscowboy is absolutely on the money.

I've had times where pilots will call the field in sight 60 or 70 miles out. I've also had occasions where I didn't have their strip to mark their in sight call. Its easy to forget at times who has the field vs who you're clearing when someone calls the airport in sight 10 to 20 minutes away. Most often I'll get a pilot who saw the field and ask them again "still in sight", but if you don't have it in sight, please let me know.

Whenever I get a visual approach I'll usually back it up with either a ILS or GPS approach into the garmin

Whenever I get a visual approach I'll usually back it up with either a ILS or GPS approach into the garmin

That idea has been proven to be a career saving one at the least. Especially at unfamiliar or close airport situations.

I tend not to back up a visual approach with a GPS. It doesn't make sense to back one non precision approach up with another non-precision approach.

However, with that said...I do always back up with an ILS if available. Also, the FMS has visual approaches for every runway. It plots the threshold and a five mile fix on centerline. So, in a sense I am backing my visual up with something, just without the clutter of a GPS approach.

BTW, if they're advertising the GPS on ATIS then I'll throw it in there just on the off chance I get cleared to a fix. Seldom comes to that though. I'd guess a full 90% of my visual approaches just have the runway and that five mile fix.

I tend not to back up a visual approach with a GPS. It doesn't make sense to back one non precision approach up with another non-precision approach.

However, with that said...I do always back up with an ILS if available...
First, although GPS approaches are all technically nonprecision, the glide path data from the LPV or LNAV/VNAV modes of RNAV(GPS) approaches is at least as accurate and reliable as an ILS for vertical guidance. Second, even if there's only LNAV available, you still have distance and alignment information, which certainly has value for avoiding landing at the wrong airport or on the wrong runway at the right airport -- which are things even Part 121 carriers have done a few well-publicized times..

Also, the FMS has visual approaches for every runway. It plots the threshold and a five mile fix on centerline. So, in a sense I am backing my visual up with something, just without the clutter of a GPS approach.
Ah, well, if you have that, mighty fine. But comes the day you are flying an aircraft without an FMS, you might just want to consider using your GPS to help by loading an appropriate RNAV(GPS) approach.

First, although GPS approaches are all technically nonprecision, the glide path data from the LPV or LNAV/VNAV modes of RNAV(GPS) approaches is at least as accurate and reliable as an ILS for vertical guidance. Second, even if there's only LNAV available, you still have distance and alignment information, which certainly has value for avoiding landing at the wrong airport or on the wrong runway at the right airport -- which are things even Part 121 carriers have done a few well-publicized times..

Ah, well, if you have that, mighty fine. But comes the day you are flying an aircraft without an FMS, you might just want to consider using your GPS to help by loading an appropriate RNAV(GPS) approach.
Yep. Or just put the GPS in OBS mode and set the OBS to the runway to get the purple magenta line on the runway being used

Yep. Or just put the GPS in OBS mode and set the OBS to the runway to get the purple magenta line on the runway being used
That can be a bit inaccurate if you use the airport waypoint rather than the runway touchdown waypoint, especially at larger airports -- might even lead you to the wrong runway where there are parallel pairs. That's why selecting the approach is a better method, and then you don't need the OBS mode.

Agree with everything here. I would recommend the GPS overlay if that's all ya got.

Controllers are used to working with high flying big airplanes. I find frequently that they ask if I see the field (at the point they usually do), and I can't see it yet because I am lower than the airplanes they usually talk to.

Yes, controllers are just people and they sometimes get complacent and make assumptions. Coming into Rapid City Regional some years ago recieving vectors for a visual from (I assume) the military approach controller at Ellsworth AFB in variable visibility in snow showers he cleared me for the visual. I replied "negative, I DO NOT have the airport in sight", so he offered me the ILS, I said no, just vector me in a little closer....I think I'll find it. FWIW I wasn't familiar with Rapid city or I'd have probably requested a contact approach.

Everytime I go into Rapid I report the field and they keep me at 10k feet until I'm 5 miles from the airport before "Cleared for the visual!" Ellsworth is a class of controllers all their own. :rolleyes:

Also, if you're not familiar with KRAP please please please don't take the visual until you're POSITIVE you've got the right airport. You will see Ellsworth before you see KRAP. The controllers in Rapid's tower area really good, but they can't catch every bafoon headed for runway 13 or 31 (KRAP's are 14/32 and 5/23)

Back