VISTA pretty much s**ks

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I bought a new Dell E1505 that came with VISTA, it will not run half my programs and power points. I called Dell and told them what I thought and the trouble I was having. I got them to refund some of my money and to ship me XP to load back in its place. If I could get a total refund I'd go MAC this time.:yes:

I checked around before getting my last laptop Dean, and was pretty well told what would happen is exactly what has occurred to you. I stayed with XP. It has flaws also, but ones with which I'm familiar. MS seems to have really screwed the pooch on this upgrade for many reasons.

Dell is having it's own set of issues. At least you got some customer support. The AG of New York has sued them for several reasons anyone considering a Dell should know about.

Best,

Dave

I checked around before getting my last laptop Dean, and was pretty well told what would happen is exactly what has occurred to you. I stayed with XP. It has flaws also, but ones with which I'm familiar. MS seems to have really screwed the pooch on this upgrade for many reasons.

Dell is having it's own set of issues. At least you got some customer support. The AG of New York has sued them for several reasons anyone considering a Dell should know about.

Best,

Dave

I recall me saying--Stay XP.. and a number of other people saying "Go with vista!'

I still say, stick with Vista, you're gonna have to be there in short time anyways if you want support.

I'm installing Ubuntu Studio right now. Lets see how that works. Still looking for a good image of OSX. Might have a triboot on this computer soon.

I think that's the way I recall it <g>. I have a network engineer that also does our stuff that shared that opinion along with a person at Dell Business services.

Best,

Dave

I still say, stick with Vista, you're gonna have to be there in short time anyways if you want support.

I'm installing Ubuntu Studio right now. Lets see how that works. Still looking for a good image of OSX. Might have a triboot on this computer soon.

The OS X hacks I've seen run in a VM image. I think the VMWare runtime still runs natively on a core of a Intel CPU so you shouldn't see a big performance hit due to software emulation.

Microsoft still claims they are cutting off Windows XP OEM in Q1 2008. I've had several conversations and I've written several e-mails to some people at Microsoft.

There will be a way to install XP still--but it's a MAJOR increase in workload and labor. I'm sure the big guys like Dell will get a special deal from Microsoft like they currently do.

Soooo... I got the 'free upgrade to vista' with my new laptop to Christmas. What you're saying is I should hold off on the upgrade and stick with XP for a while longer?

Soooo... I got the 'free upgrade to vista' with my new laptop to Christmas. What you're saying is I should hold off on the upgrade and stick with XP for a while longer?
I would recommend that you hold off unless you can install Vista in a dual boot config.

Stay away from Dell. I've had so many compatibility problems. When you take every component from the low cost bidder, shtuff happens.

All machines in my house except for one (and all machines at work - worldwide) run on XP. Reasonably stable OS. All machines in my house except for one would crater if you tried to run Vista on them. Not enough memory, not enough disk drive space, processor too slow, etc. The one running Vista Home Premium (the one I'm using right now) runs fine. Now, I have Office 2007 loaded on it, too. I've found applications that I would like to load on the new machine will not install or run under Vista. PITA.

Would I recommend 'upgrading' to Vista from XP? No, nyet, nunca! Prime rule of engineering - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If XP is running fine, leave it alone. I haven't seen anything in Vista that is 'better' than XP for my needs.

I put Vista on the new machine as I expect it to be my prime machine for 5 to 6 years and I doubt XP will be supported that long. I don't have to shut down the XP machines, so applications that have to run on XP are still supported. Just wish the backup software with my Intel Network Storage System (on the LAN for backing up all the computers) would run under Vista. Otherwise I don't have anything pressing that won't run under Vista.

Just my experience. We won't be upgrading at work for a while, and then I expect it will be when we get new computers. My IBM T42 wouldn't be happy with Vista at all. Not enough memory, disk space or processor power.

I bought a new Dell E1505 that came with VISTA, it will not run half my programs and power points. I called Dell and told them what I thought and the trouble I was having. I got them to refund some of my money and to ship me XP to load back in its place. If I could get a total refund I'd go MAC this time.:yes:

Figures. You post this one the 20th.... (new computer arrived on the 14th)
I had no intention to "upgrade" to Vista for about 2 more years.... then my Dell 5160 took a hit (best guess is spike to the mother board). It was full of Iraqi sand/dust anyway, sort of guessed I'd need a new one soon.

All Best Buy is selling is Vista. I took a few extra days, researched a bit.... and ended up ordering a new Dell e1505..... Yep, Vista. I did bump everything to the best/fastest available though (processor, Ram, graphics). I remembered when I got my first XP with a buddy telling me how fast that computer would have been with '98.

Man, I bet this new one would FLY with XP! :p

Vista is now a thing of the past on the new laptop. I had XP loaded on it and reloaded all the programs I had on it as well. The problem I am having now is when I try and play a DVD on it, it tells me the driver does not support that type of DVD, So all you tech minded people, what do I need to do now?

Vista is now a thing of the past on the new laptop. I had XP loaded on it and reloaded all the programs I had on it as well. The problem I am having now is when I try and play a DVD on it, it tells me the driver does not support that type of DVD, So all you tech minded people, what do I need to do now?

Windows does not come with a decoder for the DVD. There are licensing costs associated with DVD playback. You need something like WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Hey Guys:

First time post, and I have to agree Vista is so weak and not compatible with a lot of programs.

I bought a new desktop Gateway for the office computer and half of the programs I have are not compatible. This also includes quickbooks 2006 pro. Quickbooks told me I can use at my own risk which I'm doing but to be safe I can spend another $170.00 to upgrade to 2007. I figured I will save the money and take my chances. Maybe I should try to find an older desktop that has XP on it.

Vista is a major resource hog, and even with 2 gig's of ram it is way slower then XP.

Would I recommend 'upgrading' to Vista from XP? No, nyet, nunca! Prime rule of engineering - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If XP is running fine, leave it alone. I haven't seen anything in Vista that is 'better' than XP for my needs.

I took that to extremes. My business network was on MSDOS 6.0 and Lantastic until a year and a half ago.:rofl:

Back