Visible Wake Turbulence

Very very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I don't think I've felt wake turbulence yet. Which is surprising, given where I fly. There's an almost constant stream of commercial traffic and plenty of "caution: wake turbulence" guidance from ATC. The other day I got what I felt was a little close to a SW 737 and did a right 360 after reading the N number of the plane and seeing the guy in 7A pick his nose. I thought I'd still get hit with turbulence, but nada.

Depends on what the wind is doing also. IOW say there's a 10 knot crosswind. By the time you land more than likely the wake has been blown off to the opposite side from the direction of the wind. Still should fly a safe distance behind larger planes though. Many you tube videos showing wake, especially when the moisture content is high.

http://mashable.com/2015/10/06/video-boeing-777-clouds-wake/#LuvRrBIyIkqA

Something to remember too. If you're uncomfortable taking off/landing behind a large plane/wake turbulence, even if the controller clears you, you don't have to accept it if you want to wait a bit more.

Last edited:
Each of them unleashes a long-lasting convective cell-equivalent behind them.
"Ya, we'll need the full 2 minutes please"

Not wake turbulence. Obviously chemtrails. Thanks Obama.

EXACTLY! You see the video evidence of the obvious deployment of chemtrails and you REFUSE to believe!
I don't know about you, but I'm going to sic my demon dialer on my state Senators until I get some ACTION!
I'm also going to go buy more tinfoil to protect my brain from government deathrays.
And a Nehi Orange. I need a Nehi Orange.

Obviously chemtrails! I learned all about how an airplane flies from my science teacher in school. If it's science, it has to be right. Right?

Lift_02.jpg

See, all nice and smooth behind the wing. That wouldn't cause all them crazy gyrations in the air!

:confused:

Very cool video. The vortices sink faster than I thought they did.

Not wake turbulence. Obviously chemtrails. Thanks Obama.

Actually, all commercial airliners are spraying for the Zika virus. :eek:

Spraying for zika? Nah. That would mean Congress would have had to work together to get something done

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

On visual behind a heavy I fly one dot high on the approach. I guess this video explains why. Yikes

On visual behind a heavy I fly one dot high on the approach. I guess this video explains why. Yikes

That's pretty much how I did it following bigger jets into ATL, one dot high. Worked great.

This one video is worth more than anything I have ever read about wake turbulence.

This one video is worth more than anything I have ever read about wake turbulence.

The other thing I was thinking about is that what you are seeing is wake stirring up the rain droplets. Being that they are heavier than the surrounding air, you have to consider that the full impact of that wake has to be larger than what you can even see here. Reviewing other videos that show wake in a cloud or through smoke, it typically hangs longer in an area (being so light). These rain droplets drop a bit faster, but seeing that massive disturbance is eye opening.

I'm a bit rusty (10yrs out) and getting started on flying again with a CFI instructor next week. Are you referring to an ILS approach? Just looking at incorporating any tips I learn on POA

I'm a bit rusty (10yrs out) and getting started on flying again with a CFI instructor next week. Are you referring to an ILS approach? Just looking at incorporating any tips I learn on POA

Yes and no. I have a glass panel so its very quick and easy to load ILS and use the glide slope to stay one dot high. No matter what approach I am on, I always load an approach for reference just to stay sharp. So when on a visual approach, I use the ILS as a reference.

That's pretty much how I did it following bigger jets into ATL, one dot high. Worked great.

Unless your total d**k friend is in front of you in a 767, laughing the entire way down as he flies a dot high as well.

(the wake wasn't *too* bad, and screw you, Scottie!) :p

Interesting to see how the winglets affect the "vortice." Comparing that to some of the videos from years ago on heavys without them you can see the difference. You can see the nice tight vortices that the flaps make. That's what causes Cessnas to get a little squirly when slipping with full flaps.

Unless your total d**k friend is in front of you in a 767, laughing the entire way down as he flies a dot high as well.

(the wake wasn't *too* bad, and screw you, Scottie!) :p

Yeah I think that happened a few times, had to go to 2 dots. :rofl:

Back