VIP restrictions

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Y'all think VIP TFRs for POTUS are bad?

Just wait until you are in an area with POTUS, President of France, President of Russia, Queen of England, Prince of Wales, President of the Netherlands, Prime Minister of Canada. etc. in all at the same time!!! Total of 19 heads of state all in the same place!!!

HOLY CRIPES! Roads, EXPRESSWAYS, TRAIN STATIONS. METRO STATIONS are closed!!!!

Last edited:
Yep.

There is some sort of celebration happening up in the north of France.
Yup. I have been reading posts from you, Elizabeth and someone else I know. That would be cool.

That's done here too and ya don't need several heads of state, just one. When Obama was in the debate at DU they shut down I-25 for the duration of the debate + movement time. They close I-70 any time Obama may travel to/from Buckley. When the group of 8 was here (during the Clinton years) they shut down any expressway/interstate that might be traveled by any of the bigwigs. At least they flew the pope around when he visited....it's gotta be cheaper to fly'em than pay for all that traffic control & coordination plus overhead security. Yup, they had helos hovering over town for hours on end. The news guys circled, the security guys would just hover. It was un-real.

Yup. I have been reading posts from you, Elizabeth and someone else I know. That would be cool.
I was at the Merville battery this morning. Lots of re-enactors!!! The cool part was a Lancaster bomber flying over head.

Last night on my way back to the hotel I drove through the Pegasus bridge area. Huge party going on with everyone in period costume/uniform!!! Still a lot of D-Day vets and other WW2 vets around. Some of them are treated sort of like rock stars. We had one in the restaurant in Bayeux were Elizabeth and I were having dinner.

What is really interesting with the re-enactors is how many Nederlanders are dressing up as US Army troops.

One funny group I saw was some guys, I don't know their nationality, but they were dressed up as US Navy Shore Patrol and driving around town in a jeep. I have to say with all the jeeps, re-enactors, trucks, etc. around there are times when you can truly see what it looked like 70 years ago.

I have been around when POTUS has been around. This far exceeds anything I have seen EVER.

I remember when Bush came to Manchester, NH, they shut down i93, route 3, the airport, all surrounding airports, the train station, all public transit buses, and had national guard stationed every 30ft or so across the whole city.

That was pretty intense.

I remember when Bush came to Manchester, NH, they shut down i93, route 3, the airport, all surrounding airports, the train station, all public transit buses, and had national guard stationed every 30ft or so across the whole city.

That was pretty intense.
I am sure it was for you.

Manchester, NH. however is not even close to the same thing as Paris, the roads to the Normandy coast and then a 40 mile stretch of coastal roads.

Last edited:
There are bad reasons to come to France? I don't think so! :D

I have a friend who wsa born in France. He has a t-shirt with the outline of the country on it, with the words "France-Losers of Both WWI and WWII".

I was at the Merville battery this morning. Lots of re-enactors!!! The cool part was a Lancaster bomber flying over head.

Last night on my way back to the hotel I drove through the Pegasus bridge area. Huge party going on with everyone in period costume/uniform!!! Still a lot of D-Day vets and other WW2 vets around. Some of them are treated sort of like rock stars. We had one in the restaurant in Bayeux were Elizabeth and I were having dinner.

What is really interesting with the re-enactors is how many Nederlanders are dressing up as US Army troops.

One funny group I saw was some guys, I don't know their nationality, but they were dressed up as US Navy Shore Patrol and driving around town in a jeep. I have to say with all the jeeps, re-enactors, trucks, etc. around there are times when you can truly see what it looked like 70 years ago.

My dad was treated like that when he visited Normandy in 1993, two years before he passed away. He landed on D+1, and was treated so graciously by the locals 49 years later.

I spent a couple weeks in Luxembourg about 10-15 yrs ago, Battle of the Bulge country.

Of course it was tourist season, even though I was there for business, so I had to mix it up with Germans, French, and everyone else. It was...OK.

One morning, I was leaving the hotel, and another hotel guest stopped me in the parking lot. He asked if I was American, I said yes, then he brightened up and told me he was Dutch, was very nice and really wanted me to make sure to not miss a side-trip up that way. Out of all the folks I ran into while I was out there, the ones from the Netherlands really were the friendliest to Americans.

Y'all think VIP TFRs for POTUS are bad?

Just wait until you are in an area with POTUS, President of France, President of Russia, Queen of England, Prince of Wales, President of the Netherlands, Prime Minister of Canada. etc. in all at the same time!!! Total of 19 heads of state all in the same place!!!

HOLY CRIPES! Roads, EXPRESSWAYS, TRAIN STATIONS. METRO STATIONS are closed!!!!

I was on the phone yesterday with a coworker who is based in Brussels. He says it is crazy. And he works in a part of town where they get a special badge every 6 months just so they can be there.

I'm not aware of any.

My dad was treated like that when he visited Normandy in 1993, two years before he passed away. He landed on D+1, and was treated so graciously by the locals 49 years later.

My mother-in-law landed on Omaha beach on D+1 as well. Army nurse. She didn't get back to Europe after going home after the end of the war.

The French.

Really? Have you ever been there? And if you have, did you try to fit in, or did you try to force your opinions/customs on them?

In my experience French people are just fine. They just don't bend over backwards to accommodate insensitive people. If you try to work with them, they will work with you.

Plus, it is a beautiful, very cultured country.

Really? Have you ever been there? And if you have, did you try to fit in, or did you try to force your opinions/customs on them?

In my experience French people are just fine. They just don't bend over backwards to accommodate insensitive people. If you try to work with them, they will work with you.

Exactly and well put.

We should have gave France and all of Germany over to the Russians at the end of WW2. :rolleyes:

I have a friend who wsa born in France. He has a t-shirt with the outline of the country on it, with the words "France-Losers of Both WWI and WWII".

Why are all the streets in Paris lined with trees?

So the Germans can march in the shade. [/rim shot]

In Oman I stood less than 50 feet away from the Sultan of Oman and Ruler of Dubai at the finish line of a yacht race. No security at all. Very refreshing.

All the traffic and disruption whenever the international big wigs came around are something I definitely do not miss about The City.

-Rich

Read a book by an OSS operative that ran around France training the resistance, guy claimed the French were worse then the Germans and it was a waste to save them. According to the book post invasion when it was safe to fight the French killed each other off in great numbers over petty crap.

Yea, to fight a war.

The French.

I remember when I went to France being concerned about the "rude Frenchman" in two weeks I only experienced two jerks one a custodian in a train station who when I asked ( in french) where the ladies room was for my wife basically ignored me then told me she was on break and didn't answer.

But I had a similar experience in the Philly Airport with a TSA agent guy told me he was on break and could not tell me were something was.

The second was an Ahole taxi driver who was unhappy I only wanted to go to the train station and not the airport. But I had an Ahold taxi driver experience in Chicago actually a few in that fine city. so lesson is there are jerks in every city.

Really? (he says sarcastically), that might be why there are all these people dressed up in WW2 garb walking around in the Normandy region this week! :D

I didn't start the obtuseness. No need for sarcasm. But as a sarcasm lover, I can appreciate it. ;)

Read a book by an OSS operative that ran around France training the resistance, guy claimed the French were worse then the Germans and it was a waste to save them. According to the book post invasion when it was safe to fight the French killed each other off in great numbers over petty crap.

That was 70 years ago.

They're not.
I am staying on one such street, right around the corner form Place de Vendome in central Paris right now.

For a joke to be funny there has to be a little truth in it.

Ah, man. (Where is the emoticon for the wings falling off?) Next your going to tell me there is no Force. I always liked Star Wars.

So what city in France has tree-lined streets? There has to be one somewhere, right?

Back