Viking vs Debonair

Jeff07W

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff07W
I've owned a Bellanca 14-19-3a (early Viking of sorts). Looking for feedback on the two airplanes.... performance, price, value, maint... etc.... I'm familiar with Vikings, not so much with deb

One takes to buy one takes to maintain... but technically the both are airplanes so they both take to maintain

That was supposed to be the icon for money bags but didn't work

One takes to buy one takes to maintain... but technically the both are airplanes so they both take to maintain

y'know that is pretty darned accurate. When I bought my Vike 19 years ago, I could not afford a Bo. Too pricey. But the Viking had almost the same performance and I could afford that. I knew that I would likely do more mx, but each year I was earning enough to cover those costs so it worked out. It did turn out to be 'pay as you go' vs 'pay up front', with the Viking.

y'know that is pretty darned accurate. When I bought my Vike 19 years ago, I could not afford a Bo. Too pricey. But the Viking had almost the same performance and I could afford that. I knew that I would likely do more mx, but each year I was earning enough to cover those costs so it worked out. It did turn out to be 'pay as you go' vs 'pay up front', with the Viking.

What expenses did you see in the Viking that you wouldn't have had in a Deb/Bo ?

The Deb will be a little faster and a little roomier (I have a Viking, and immediately prior was flying a Debonair). Maintenance is going to be similar.

As far as maint, my Bellanca had aging fabric, that was looming in the background, as recovering costs more than the plane is worth... so consequently I never wanted to leave my airplane out overnight on a trip or heaven forbid have it rained on.... mechanical maint might be similar but airframe (skin, fabric, soars, etc I think are more easily & inexpensivly maintained on a bo... what say you ?

Another random thought bouncing around my empty head is that a Viking might be "pay as you go" making it attractive to jump into, a deb might be a pay more up front & cheaper airframe maint....but when you pay as you go on a Viking you never see that $ back on resale.... I realize u never get your $ back but improvements & upgrades in a deb seem to yield a much higher price (weather they actually sell for that?)

Back