(Video) IFR in the NYC Bravo w/ Garmin Virb Cam+Prop Filter

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
Video of our weekend IFR Flight from Westerly, RI to Old Bridge, NJ, trying out the new Garmin prop filter. The slower shutter speed really helps to make the video smoother, recommended add-on.

We flew IFR to climb through the cloud layers and continued VFR over the top inside the New York Class B. Nice sunset on the other side, the 2x passengers sleeping in the back seat missed it.

Pics and video here

http://switchboxcontrol.com/news/2014/9/22/video-ifr-flight-kwst-to-3n6

IMG_3034.jpg

VirbScreenShotx.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

Nice, I like the tail mount.
The only thing I noticed when adding the neutral density filter to my Virb is it reduced the capacity to film in low light IE dusk / night and things are not as vibrant. But you dont get the prop as bad, so like always it seems to be a trade off.

ok wait - you were on an IFR flight plan VFR over the top in the NYC Bravo?

Or were you IFR until on top and then canceled?

Phllip - you are the first person that I have ever heard of who was able to get a VFR ontop IFR ride from NY Tracon.

Oh no silly, they're very accommodating :no:

One time, we were in a rental warrior VFR on flight following with NY Approach in the NY Bravo. We were given "Speed, altitude, and heading your discretion." First and last time that will ever happen!

Granted, they had just asked us to go search for a downed aircraft because we had the plume of smoke in sight. That might have something to do with their unusual flexibility. They kept asking "are you there yet?" and if we could expedite. We're in a warrior, it can only go so fast, even in a descent. "Sir if we push the throttle any farther forward, it will come out the other side of the firewall."

Sadly we did find it.

Phllip - you are the first person that I have ever heard of who was able to get a VFR ontop IFR ride from NY Tracon.
Maybe not the last, I may try that sometime. I love when they send you somewhere north of Kingston on your clearance to say Montauk, then clear you direct thru the class B when you say the magic words, cancel VFR.

Nicely done!

Nice, I like the tail mount.
The only thing I noticed when adding the neutral density filter to my Virb is it reduced the capacity to film in low light IE dusk / night and things are not as vibrant. But you dont get the prop as bad, so like always it seems to be a trade off.

As an avid user of Neutral Density filters (thats what prop filters are), unless you are flying straight into the sun, it really isn;t necessary to use the filter within about an hour of sunset since at that point, too much light is blocked giving the image a grainy look (like a high ISO does on still shots).

Another cool trick that I like is to mount the Gopro on the ceiling to get a good panel shot, and then use a graduated ND filter so the bright light outside is more in line with the much darker panel.

Back