Video: Flying to the Monterey Aquarium

mr_happyland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mr_happyland
We flew up to the Monterey Aquarium for the day recently. Great day trip from LA!! Del Monte Aviation is a first class FBO and super GA friendly. No ramp fees and reasonable gas. Great facility and friendly people.

Heh, that's @arnoha 's Skyhawk at 2:06 and at 6:48.

That aside, fabulous video! Those were some fantastic shots of the jellyfish.

Well done. The only experience I ever had with an elt was shooting a story with a student and an instructor a number of years ago. We landed pretty hard, so hard in fact that I was convinced that it surely set off the elt. When we taxied back to the hanger, the instructor said, "okay, let's head inside and we will fill out your log book. I didn't want to embarrass the student, so I quietly suggested to the instructor that he check the elt. Rather than be discreet about it, he said loudly, "yeah, maybe we should check the elt." We checked it and sure enough, it was blaring away. I felt bad for the student who had already subjected himself to the exposure of a tv camera, and now had landed so hard the elt went off. He took it in stride and matter of factly from that point on just called the elt the "excellent landing detector." The student was a pleasure to work with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video write-up. Monterey is a California destination I'm planning on making with the family in the upcoming year. I think the wife will really enjoy the geography of Coastal California. It also seems a piece of cake to get into and affordable alternative to the SFO area, which I'm also planning on taking her to for the day.

Heh, that's @arnoha 's Skyhawk at 2:06 and at 6:48.

That aside, fabulous video! Those were some fantastic shots of the jellyfish.

I'll watch the video in full later, but that is indeed my plane in the background! Not me flying, though...it's a leaseback so it would have been one of the renters. Certainly been to Del Monte several times and they've always treated me well. Always a car available, too.

Back