Video about why Meigs field was closed

The comments section are not surprising. It's easy to co-opt the narrative that all recreational players are members of the mathematical upper-upper class ( 5%ers.....>$342,987/yr HH as of CY2020). It's of course not true, especially given most of these commenting critters drive 50-75K vehicles themselves in varying states of ridiculous indebtedness and pursue equally expensive (supra-10K/yr) hobbies. The temerity of the 50K car driving every 5 year revolving, "working man" Joe to cast stones on the 40K lawnmower owner who flies 50 hours a year.

In fairness to the 50%ers who rage-type in the YT section, a plurality of members in the bifurcating recreational aviation sector are indeed members of said socioeconomic class. That still doesn't make the mischaracterization of the airport as a "private airport for the rich elites to play" made by the author, true. It simply resonates and confirms the reflexive cathartic release said viewers are looking for.

In the end, the commenters are right and wrong, in that they're barking up the wrong tree. The issue is that many in our Country view ANYONE above their income decile as rich. You can't reason with that level of contempt. That's where the discourse breaks down quickly.

Last edited:
It was a GA airport. GA aircraft include J3 Cubs and Gulfstream jets. It is understandable that non aviation folks do not understand. The funny thing is that I know some owners of lower end GA aircraft that their plane is their only “toy”. Meanwhile some of the folks calling them rich are pulling around their huge fifth wheel camper behind their F350 truck. And when they are not doing that, they are out on the lake on their speedboat. It’s a perception issue.

Can someone show me a sample of the comments? I can't view the video at work.

Can someone show me a sample of the comments? I can't view the video at work.
"I love the fact that his whole nefarious goal was to build....a park. You know standard supervillain motivation-public works improvement" 3,100 thumbs up.

Let's forget that it generated 300-500 million annually and made the city skies safer which was Daley's veiled reasoning for costing the city/park district millions in demolition and fines.

The comments section are not surprising. It's easy to co-opt the narrative that all recreational players are members of the mathematical upper-upper class ( 5%ers.....>$342,987/yr HH as of CY2020). It's of course not true, especially given most of these commenting critters drive 50-75K vehicles themselves in varying states of ridiculous indebtedness and pursue equally expensive (supra-10K/yr) hobbies. The temerity of the 50K car driving every 5 year revolving, "working man" Joe to cast stones on the 40K lawnmower owner who flies 50 hours a year.

In fairness to the 50%ers who rage-type in the YT section, a plurality of members in the bifurcating recreational aviation sector are indeed members of said socioeconomic class. That still doesn't make the mischaracterization of the airport as a "private airport for the rich elites to play" made by the author, true. It simply resonates and confirms the reflexive cathartic release said viewers are looking for.

In the end, the commenters are right and wrong, in that they're barking up the wrong tree. The issue is that many in our Country view ANYONE above their income decile as rich. You can't reason with that level of contempt. That's where the discourse breaks down quickly.

Whatever thesaurus plug in you are using is not working correctly.

Back