Victor airways best for VFR?

MRA's have nothing to do with Radar. They could be said to be for Radio reception in as much as VOR is a form of 'radio.' Radar also, Radio Detection and Ranging. MRA is for Nav signal reception.

Part 95:

(f) The MRA applies to the operation of an aircraft over an intersection defined by ground-based navigation aids. The MRA is the lowest altitude at which the intersection can be determined using the ground-based navigation aids

Part 95:

(f) The MRA applies to the operation of an aircraft over an intersection defined by ground-based navigation aids. The MRA is the lowest altitude at which the intersection can be determined using the ground-based navigation aids
Ah. And more. Radar has nothing to do with any of these. I know you know all this, just getting it out there. The need for Radar sometimes gets confused for lots of things.

§ 95.1 Applicability.
(a) This part prescribes altitudes governing the operation of aircraft under IFR on ATS routes, or other direct routes for which an MEA is designated in this part. In addition, it designates mountainous areas and changeover points.

(b) The MAA is the highest altitude on an ATS route, or other direct route for which an MEA is designated, at which adequate reception of VOR signals is assured.

(c) The MCA applies to the operation of an aircraft proceeding to a higher minimum en route altitude when crossing specified fixes.

(d) The MEA is the minimum en route IFR altitude on an ATS route, ATS route segment, or other direct route. The MEA applies to the entire width of the ATS route, ATS route segment, or other direct route between fixes defining that route. Unless otherwise specified, an MEA prescribed for an off airway route or route segment applies to the airspace 4 nautical miles on each side of a direct course between the navigation fixes defining that route or route segment.

(e) The MOCA assures obstruction clearance on an ATS route, ATS route segment, or other direct route, and adequate reception of VOR navigation signals within 22 nautical miles of a VOR station used to define the route.

(f) The MRA applies to the operation of an aircraft over an intersection defined by ground-based navigation aids. The MRA is the lowest altitude at which the intersection can be determined using the ground-based navigation aids.

(g) The changeover point (COP) applies to operation of an aircraft along a Federal airway, jet route, or other direct route; for which an MEA is designated in this part. It is the point for transfer of the airborne navigation reference from the ground-based navigation aid behind the aircraft to the next appropriate ground-based navigation aid to ensure continuous reception of signals.

I'll be a different POV on this. Flying VFR, I would skip V highways and plot a magenta line as straight as possible but still overflying airports as my way points / land marks. Airports are somewhat easier to spot, with VFR flying you should be using landmarks anyway, and if something happens you're headed to or close by a place to set down.

(Chip beat me to this point I see)

Last edited:
You can still use VORs without airways. I used to flightplan vor-vor all the time and when DUAT came around, I used Geoff Peck's flight planner there to accomplish the same. Amusingly, it was rarely more than 3% longer than the straight line to the destination. Of course, then I got a GPS...

I'll be a different POV on this. Flying VFR, I would skip V highways and plot a magenta line as straight as possible but still overflying airports as my way points / land marks. Airports are somewhat easier to spot, with VFR flying you should be using landmarks anyway, and if something happens you're headed to or close by a place to set down.
I have found that to. Airports make great landmarks and are easy to see. Except for the one I'm flying to:rofl:

I respectfully go the other way. I would hug the interstate highway system as much as possible.

You'd be amazed how often Victor Airways keep you rather close to the IHS. It's almost like they were developed around the same time ;-)

One minor point, while I believe V airways avoid restricted areas, they don't avoid MOA's. It's worth not just sailing through them as it can mess up the operations if they are hot. You are allowed to, just easier to avoid them or call the controlling agency to see if they are hot or cold. On flight following, you'll get that info easily.

Not all V airways avoid restricted areas.

It is. An IR student pilot.

There is no such thing as an IR student pilot.

Private pilots should be taught, and be able to demonstrate, how to navigate via an airway with a vor or a gps.

VOR tracking is required on the private pilot checkride.

Back