Victor Airways and VOR navigation

Nostalgia, Grid Celestial Navigation over open water with a crappy Doppler for ground speed. FL350, .82M.

NDB is not much different than an AM radio station.
We were once inbound to an airport for an airshow, small country airport, only NDB approach to find the airport. I told the pilot I would load the approach heading as a bomb run, all he had to do was follow the track the bomb run on the inbound. “Roger, Nav has the Aircraft”

That's just a bit higher and faster than my time back in the day but I remember one flight over water while co-pilot and the Nav wanted 2 degrees left. The AC replied he could not turn just 2 degrees to which the Nav came back, give me 15 degrees right, followed by 17 degrees left.

One fundamental difference between VOR and GPS is that you generally do not track AWAY from a GPS waypoint. You can configure a GPS unit to do this in "OBS mode", but most folks probably never use OBS mode on their GPS.

My DPE wanted me to explain in the oral portion my flight plan using dead reckoning, vor’s and pilotage. After we left we only went to the second check point. I had all my check points positioned via time, vor intercept and pilotage.
I purposely made the first two closer than normal:)
At the end of the check ride while under the hood he made me call atc for vectors to the airport

Last edited:
Back