viability of GA for work question...

WBI Flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Groundhog
This is a future possibility, and I am trying to wrap my head around incorporating this into my goals - or just letting it go.

If I am going to travel a lot, I would like to be in control of the time and risk as much as possible. I would also like to be able to hit multiple cities easily and tuck my kids in and/or wake them up as many days as possible.

This would mean flying at night a good bit as well as flying around weather whenever it is safe to do so.

Travel Need: Speaking engagements, 3-5hr blocks in each cities.
Persons traveling: 1-2 w/ minimal cargo.
Time of Year: 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall)

Considered Plane: Diamond DA42vi.
Reasons: Twin, fuel burn, SVT, FIKI (in case of surprises)

Do any of you do this? Thoughts? Would this work 85% of the time? 90%? 50%?

Bad idea?

I use GA for work. For most of my travel flying cuts my time en-route in half compared to driving and there is no airline service.

Weather can be challenging of course. We frequently have afternoon thunderstorms so travel is limited to mornings or late evenings on the stormy days. It helps to have vehicles available at the destination and ya gotta be willing to drive (or wait it out) if weather is too bad.

Maintenance scheduled and unscheduled can be a problem. I use a small shop so if the mechanic and/or helper is tied up then I can't get work done. Waiting on parts is also a schedule breaker even when the mechanic can jump right on a problem. Most stuff is available short notice but some things like ignition harness can take anywhere from days to weeks.

I absolutely use it for work. Where it makes the most sense is for destinations that are between 100 - 300 miles away, further if it's somewhere Southwest doesn't fly, especially if terrain make the drive extra long. Again of course it can be weather dependent, meaning no mountain flights in icing, and an IFR flight lengthens the block time, and could eliminate your intended destination airport.

Access to ground transportation, and proximity to the airport are factors too.

Check www.flightaware.com N488SP

While it's not my day job to do this flying, it is a job, on a schedule, and I have to get back home in time for work. In over 2000 hours of flying, I can count cancellations on one hand.

Based in Nashville, there are a lot of planes you can buy that will get you a greater than 90% dispatch rate. The limitation is you as the pilot more than the plane in most cases. So, first year dispatch rate will be lower in the name of safety, and expand as your skills expand.

Take a good weather course, have an instructor who's not afraid to show you bad weather and who is experienced in it, and buy a good plane. Personally I think the DA42 is expensive for what you get and would prefer a 310 or Baron (which are also much faster).

great info - as I would expect. 1. proficiency, 2. weather, and 3. maintenance down-time.

Agreed about the Baron and 310 - upfront cost & speed - #3 above is the only reason I am considering a newer aircraft - maybe a DA42NG or one that has been factory converted to the austro engines.

I think you would be surprised at the downtime for a 310/Baron compared to a DA42. New airplanes have fewer people who can work on them proficiently and can have interesting failure modes. I've had only a couple of no dispatch faults in my entire flying career of mostly 310 and Aztec time. It seems the people I see with the newest planes have the most time in the shop.

I've been running this 310 for about 200 hours per year for close to 4 years. Put 1000 hours on the Aztec in 4 years, etc. If you'd like to chat a bit about the realities of ownership, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Unless you are working for yourself, learn this phrase "corporate non-owned aircraft liability insurance." If you are working for your own company then you should be good to go!

Jim

If a new DA-42 is in your budget, you may also want to consider a used turbine single ie Meridian, or older TBM.

If twin piston is what you want, consider a P-Baron or C340. Slightly higher operational cost than a DA42 (fuel), but the $500k you save will go a long way. Plus, you'll have pressurization.

If twin piston is what you want, consider a P-Baron or C340. Slightly higher operational cost than a DA42 (fuel), but the $500k you save will go a long way. Plus, you'll have pressurization.
going up the complexity ladder, more problems, fewer people willing to work on them at the drop of a hat. Plus a lot of plane for single person flying.

I would stick with the tried and true baron/seneca/310 options if you want a petrol burning twin and FIKI

Last edited:
I don't think a P-Baron is that much more to handle than a Baron is it?

Turbo charged and pressurized vs normally aspirated non pressurized is definitely more complex. Descending from the flight levels in an aircraft with turbocharges requires a bit of planning and is not forgiving to folks that get in a hurry.

Flying the plane aside, window, seal, etc. repairs on pressurized vessels can really pack a punch.

In my mind - with my goals, it would be hard to justify anything more than a non-pressurized twin. ... unless someone else was financing the operation. :)

Traveling for business was my "justification" for getting my PPL and 182 knowing full well that $100 hamburger runs and Bay Tours would be most of my flying.

Well, turns out the best part of having the PPL and plane for me IS is the freedom and time it buys me when I do travel for business...I fly 250-350nm legs and back several times a month.

Always need to leave yourself a backup plan and a buffer!...I usually book commercial when my arrival time is critical then cancel day of just in case weather is an issue and always leave enough time to scramble in case I show up and the plane decides that its not gonna fly that day...which has happened!

Traveling GA for business is awesome...I now cringe any time I gotta leave two hours ahead of my flight and go through TSA but keep in mind, get-there-itis can kill you regardless of you ability and equipment!

Flying the plane aside, window, seal, etc. repairs on pressurized vessels can really pack a punch.

In my mind - with my goals, it would be hard to justify anything more than a non-pressurized twin. ... unless someone else was financing the operation. :)

Would you consider a two place that cruises around 115 but burns about 4.5 gph of regular car gasoline with a range of 800nm, a glass display with synthetic vision options, and a full airframe chute for less than half the price of the DA40?

Would you consider a two place that cruises around 115 but burns about 4.5 gph of regular car gasoline with a range of 800nm, a glass display with synthetic vision options, and a full airframe chute for less than half the price of the DA40?

nope. the goal is to be in a twin (night). 100LL or JetA. & 4 person-family capable when I want it to be.

If a new DA-42 is in your budget, you may also want to consider a used turbine single ie Meridian, or older TBM.

Pressurization is nice, but operating costs on everything you mention will be way higher than the DA42.

With turbocharged engines, onboard weather, and FIKI, I'd say the airplane is capable of 90% dispatch reliability. The remaining question is whether your skills are up to that, but that's another story.

I use my plane for personal transport to/from work and am based in East TN. Last year with a single engine and no de-ice I averaged an 80% dispatch rate. This rate is almost entirely due to icing conditions without options to go over, under or around said conditions.

Travel Need: Speaking engagements, 3-5hr blocks in each cities.
Persons traveling: 1-2 w/ minimal cargo.
Time of Year: 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall)

Considered Plane: Diamond DA42vi.
Reasons: Twin, fuel burn, SVT, FIKI (in case of surprises)

Do any of you do this? Thoughts? Would this work 85% of the time? 90%? 50%?

I think you can easily and safely hit 90+% on that mission with that airplane, IF:

1) You keep your skills and proficiency up - IE, you can hand-fly an ILS to minimums on the backup instruments without breaking a sweat.

2) You are proactive on maintenance. Diamond has a pretty good periodic maintenance schedule - Follow it to the letter, and fix squawks at the first symptom, not when something actually breaks.

3) You always consider your alternatives for the 1%-5% of the time you may not be able to make it. To me, that means always leaving early enough that if something goes wrong you can use an alternative method of transportation and get to your destination on time. That way, you are there early and relaxed if flying your own plane works, and you're home early, without risking get-there-itis.

If you can stomach the price of a new DA42 and (again) stay proactive on maintenance, you should do quite well.

Personally I think the DA42 is expensive for what you get and would prefer a 310 or Baron (which are also much faster).

Ted,

It was easy to miss, but he specified the DA42vi, which finally lives up to the promises Diamond made for the original DA42 over 10 years ago. High-speed cruise is in the neighborhood of 190 knots, same (if not slightly faster than) the 310 or Baron but burning only 16 gph combined. Or, you can pull it back to 10gph combined and still go 150+ knots.

What's the price of a new G58 Baron compared to a new DA42vi? :dunno: I think both would work well for the mission, with a slight edge going to the DA42 for the turbo capability and lower fuel burn given the mission - The Baron will obviously carry more and go farther but that's not necessary for the specified mission.

More about the DA42vi:
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/August/1/Not-your-fathers-airplane.aspx
http://glasspilot.com/2013/05/high-speed-diamond-da42-vi-coming-to-us/

I missed that it was a DA42vi, and if that's the case, it is certainly better if it does hit that 190 kt speed. My one flight in a DA42 (Austro conversion) I found to be a bit lackluster. At 190 kts on 16 GPH if it's mostly 1-2 people, then I'd agree, it'd be an appealing option.

You could compare it to a new G58 (at $1M+), but I would compare it to a used Baron/310, since the primary benefit of a new one is built-in 550s, newer style props, and a G1000. Older plane, easy enough to get a G500 with SVT, 750/650, and a GWX70.

on the other hand... a new, JetA "sipper" plane notwithstanding, you can fly a lot of hours for the $400,000.00 - $600,000.00 price difference. - even with 100LL @ $6.20/gal.

You could compare it to a new G58 (at $1M+), but I would compare it to a used Baron/310, since the primary benefit of a new one is built-in 550s, newer style props, and a G1000. Older plane, easy enough to get a G500 with SVT, 750/650, and a GWX70.

Yep - I was just trying to compare apples to apples. Closest Baron to the DA42vi is a new G58. Closest TwinStar to an older Baron is... Well, none. ;)

If I had the scratch for a brand-new TwinStar, much as I like the Diamonds, I'd rather get a B58P with... Well, pretty much exactly the avionics package you described. OTOH, that would take a while to work the maintenance kinks out, so there is some advantage to spending it on a new airplane. Too bad they're so damn expensive these days. :(

Another bonus for Diamond... their historical safety record has been pretty much the best in the industry and blown others out of the water.

Back