VFR turned MVFR turned IMC

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Planned a flight a couple days ago to catch the Chicago Skyline then over to 06C to eat at Pilot Pete's then back home to ARR. After getting in the air it became apparent that we couldn't do the lake shore due to reduced visibility. We then decided against 06C as there is no way out IFR. We decided to do a practice RNAV at ARR but the clouds emerged quickly through the haze and we got a pop-up to shoot the approach. Just as I was turning to intercept a V-tail (maybe @eman1200 ) was climbing right at me. Would have been pretty darn close if I didn't climb up. Also at the end, got to hear a non-pilot's perspective of what she thought happens to Cirrus drivers when they pop the chute. Obviously she hasn't seen @SixPapaCharlie 's instructional videos.

If you guys take the time to watch the video, can you give me any suggestions on ways to improve? Don't want to waste my time making them if they aren't any good. Just got a second camera since the first video and am trying to figure out editing and camera angles.

Excellent RC! Great airmanship and ADM between the two of you. Thanks for sharing!

Planned a flight a couple days ago to catch the Chicago Skyline then over to 06C to eat at Pilot Pete's then back home to ARR. After getting in the air it became apparent that we couldn't do the lake shore due to reduced visibility. We then decided against 06C as there is no way out IFR. We decided to do a practice RNAV at ARR but the clouds emerged quickly through the haze and we got a pop-up to shoot the approach. Just as I was turning to intercept a V-tail (maybe @eman1200 ) was climbing right at me. Would have been pretty darn close if I didn't climb up. Also at the end, got to hear a non-pilot's perspective of what she thought happens to Cirrus drivers when they pop the chute. Obviously she hasn't seen @SixPapaCharlie 's instructional videos.

If you guys take the time to watch the video, can you give me any suggestions on ways to improve? Don't want to waste my time making them if they aren't any good. Just got a second camera since the first video and am trying to figure out editing and camera angles.

Lose the cammies, I was havin trouble finding you. I thought it was pretty good. Good view out the windshield and the panel. Audio was great, cabin chatter and radio coms came in great. Following your task management with the comments of what you were doing was great. As far as suggestions on ways to improve with more cameras, I dunno, i get confused taking a pic with my Iphone. Great co pilot, you give a quick comment and she knows just what to say to Approach. She's a controller isn't she?

Everything luvflyin said. Only thing I’ll add is a 40 minute video is wicked long. I have a hard time watching baronpilot’s vids cause they are usually 30 minutes long (well that and also that woman that can’t put a sentence together). Otherwise it was a great vid!

Everything luvflyin said. Only thing I’ll add is a 40 minute video is wicked long. I have a hard time watching baronpilot’s vids cause they are usually 30 minutes long (well that and also that woman that can’t put a sentence together). Otherwise it was a great vid!

C'mon @eman1200 we know what videos you really watch.... :fingerwag:

Yeah RC, love to see 310s, but that is too long, so didn't watch the entire vid. Probably come back to it though.

Video was well put together. I enjoyed the cockpit audio, the CRM and the thought process that went along with it. Good camera angles as well.

Keep them coming.

That V-tail wasnt me. I flew Saturday morning but just DPA out to Dixon and back. And I dont play with clouds.

The bad news is I find just about all aviation videos boring unless the aircraft is doing something unwise, unsafe, or totally illegal. Its rather like baseball. Playing it is fun. Watching it is boring.

I like it.
What is the a little cube lookin camera your better looking half keeps adjusting?

Also I want a twin now. I kept thinking "how did he get rid of the prop ion the POV shots".

@SixPapaCharlie you need a 414. No question.

You can wire the money today and I'll deliver the plane next week.

cool plane, hot and competant copilot, minimal annoying music, whats not to like?

Lol I've only watched a few of his vids, but I get the impression her first language isn't English? Seems like she does not speak English very well...

She's a controller isn't she?

Yeah, she's a controller at Chicago TRACON. Used to work TPA Tower/TRACON. Thanks for watching and your thoughts. I'll work on the camo...of course I'm a backwoods Georgia boy so it will be tough.

Thanks eman! I have since watched it a couple times and saw places where I should have trimmed it down. I was worried about the length. In the future I'll try for the 20-30 min range as a max.

If you saw my bank balance you'd know the only way I am getting into a 414 is in one of those dog crates.
That's a bit on the kinky side. Does MrsSix know about this? Did the monkey make you do it?

I like it.
What is the a little cube lookin camera your better looking half keeps adjusting?

Thanks! It is a GoPro Hero5 Session. First time using it. Seemed ok. Battery may be an issue on longer flights.

Also I want a twin now. I kept thinking "how did he get rid of the prop ion the POV shots".
You already have two engines. Although your two means you get to fly different planes depending on your mood. I have one of those prop filters but I haven't used it yet. May try it if I point one over the wing but doesn't seem too bad with them spinning on the edges of the camera.

Video was well put together. I enjoyed the cockpit audio, the CRM and the thought process that went along with it. Good camera angles as well.

Keep them coming.
Thank you. I'll keep going with it. At a minimum I'll try a Gaston's and Kentucky Dam video. Think it would be nice to have one or two more cameras then it would be set it and forget it for the flight. I'll continue to work on the editing.

Thank you. I'll keep going with it. At a minimum I'll try a Gaston's and Kentucky Dam video. Think it would be nice to have one or two more cameras then it would be set it and forget it for the flight. I'll continue to work on the editing.
Cant go wrong with more cameras.. A side/wing view cam for sure...

I'm going to try and mount one to the top of my rudder tomorrow. I always liked that view and under the belly facing toward the landing gear.

Nice video, good job.
Can I ask you how you convinced your better half to talk on the radio? I'd love to teach mine. Or maybe I need to upgrade? :)

I'm going to try and mount one to the top of my rudder tomorrow. I always liked that view and under the belly facing toward the landing gear.

But it's a fixed gear, you don't need to check to ensure it's down Bryan. :)

That your girlfriend or whattt?

I agree. I want to test out both those as well. Let us see how they turn out.

Nice video, good job.
Can I ask you how you convinced your better half to talk on the radio? I'd love to teach mine. Or maybe I need to upgrade? :)
Yeah, she is a controller. Loves to talk while we fly and I like her to as well. Makes if fun for both of us. You can hear when she gets mad at me for taking the mic a couple times. Old habits are hard to break.

That your girlfriend or whattt?
She's my fiancee. Pretty, fun, loves to fly, has a good job = I'm a lucky dude.

Yeah, she is a controller. Loves to talk while we fly and I like her to as well. Makes if fun for both of us. You can hear when she gets mad at me for taking the mic a couple times. Old habits are hard to break.

0E4D45E6-19D8-434E-A29C-8F0431FF3725.jpeg

I haven’t even watched the vid yet ha...will watch later

So where was the VFR? That stuff looked like crap from the get-go.

at-least-i-have-that-going-for-me-which-is-nice.jpg

So where was the VFR? That stuff looked like crap from the get-go.
Pretty much the traffic pattern on departure. :) I knew it may deteriorate and was flexible. I have full de-ice but didn't want to get stuck anywhere with hard IMC and temps hovering around freezing. Is winter over yet??

Back