VFR Route Tips San Diego to/from Borrego Valley Wanted

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
I'm new to the area and looking for any VFR tips to fly from/to any of the San Diego GA airports and Borrego Valley (L08), both routing and altitudes (yes, have looked at the charts and sector MEFs). Thanks.

Last edited:
Just use flight following. San Diego was one of the only places I would routinely get cleared through the bravo.

Get FF on the ground. SCT encourages the towers to give it. Even when it was crazy busy, Bravo clearances are the norm - to the point that student pilots on solos without endorsements have to refuse them.

If you depart MYF, you can ask for a Foss Transition. That is, you do a climbing 270 off 28L (the skinny runway) and cross Miramar (Foss Field) usually at 2900'. Then, keep your code and they hand you off to SCT and usually you can get a Bravo clearance to climb to where you want. Don't go too high though, cause Borego is right on the other side of the mountains.

You can also get a right downwind of 28R and an early switch to SoCal. Just be mindful of KSEE's Delta.

Climb to 7500 ft or so to cross mountains eastbound, pick your route to match the climb gradient of your plane, the route may need to vary a little from a direct routing. Good climbing planes departing from westerly airports can easily go direct. A C150 from Gillespie maybe not.

For a nice leisurely arrival and descent aim for Borrego Sky Ranch (private airport, see chart) and turn inbound to make a long 45 to Borrego Valley (L08) right traffic Runway 8, which is quite often the active runway. Borrego Valley Airport (L08) is visible from there as being just south of the solar panel array - which is hard to miss. Make your pattern outside the elementary school just to the west of the runway (shown on Google Maps) - the Principal gets uptight when planes fly directly overhead.

Lots of traffic will be found around El Capitan reservoir, sometimes including commercial aerobatic planes from Gillespie going up and down fast (vertical between 3000 and 8000 ft), but returning from Borrego that way does facilitate the infamous ‘Dudley’s Arrival’ from Santa Ysabel, following the San Diego River valley - it takes you where you need to go and it’s the old timers scud running route ;) (Dudley’s is a well known bakery in Santa Ysabel)

Watch for sailplanes from Warner Springs, you’re in their soaring area on your return if limited climb performance takes you west over the low spot at Ranchita, heading toward Lake Henshaw before turning southwest. They will generally not have transponders, will not generally be visible on ADS-B and can be from very low altitude up to 18,000 ft.

When better times for eating out return, call Casa del Zorro and they’ll send a van to get you for lunch. The airport restaurant closed again a while back, it comes and goes.

I might have flown to Borrego Valley a time or two... Like everybody else I’ve ever met in person I’ve never used FF to do so, it’s a local milk run that after a while you can almost do with your eyes closed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Researching the Miriamar/Foss transition revealed a couple of other transitions in the area, i.e. the bay tour and taxiway delta transition.

Back