VFR Route KOVO - I69 (Sporty's)

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
I'm planning on putting some time in tomorrow in my Cherokee. EAA chapter at KOVO has a pancake breakfast fly-in followed by a free seminar 'When the Engine Goes Silent' at 1030. I thought after that was done to take the short ~65 mile cruise over to Sporty's at Batavia Clermont Co (I69). I'll be VFR and looking at the route in Foreflight, direct I69 from KOVO will take me right over the top of Cincinnati (KCVG) and their class C. Anyone have success VFR straight over top at Cincy? The north or south route around still has a floor of 3K so I would likely need to enter their Class C anyway. Another thought is to fly the ATC preferred IFR routing which is LOPYU, V128, CALIF at 2800. Being VFR I would be at a planned 3500'. Curious as to if ATC would prefer me, even VFR, to fly that routing for their convenience? Or just proceed direct and have them vector me if they have issue with my route?

Thanks

CVG is class B, not C.
Anyhow, it is unlikely you will be able to go direct over CVG. Just make a small detour to I67, and then on to I69. You should be able to do that at 3000ft. It only adds an extra 4 miles to the total distance.

CVG is class B, not C.
Anyhow, it is unlikely you will be able to go direct over CVG. Just make a small detour to I67, and then on to I69. You should be able to do that at 3000ft. It only adds an extra 4 miles to the total distance.
Ok thanks. I'll take a look at that route and thanks for the clarification on airspace

CVG Class B isn’t near the ORD level of traffic. I’d think you may be able to zip on through with flight following, and clearance. It may depend on time of day & all.

They were busy this morning. I took the route recommended by sarangan and it worked great. Just past I67 they put me on vector direct I69

Yeah, not a busy Class B at all since Delta pulled out. It's worth trying, you might luck out.

Sporty’s isn’t the great destination you’d think. Very little stuff is out. They do have free hotdogs on Saturday, though.

Sporty’s isn’t the great destination you’d think. Very little stuff is out. They do have free hotdogs on Saturday, though.
Yep, Thought I would see first hand what my money has been supporting throughout the years lol.. Picked up a pretty cool knife and of course, the free dogs. The flight home was fun. Scattered Cumulus tops made for some perfect cloud surfing. On closer to Louisville, the tops pushed me up to 8500'. Epic thread the needle decent into home plate. Overall, and awesome 4.2 hours of flying on 34 gallons of fuel

There was talk last year of downgrading CVG from Class B to Class C but I guess it didn’t happen.

I have gotten direct over the top of CVG (and inside the bravo) IFR and VFR in the same direction the runways are aligned. There is almost no traffic there anymore.

I felt like Sportys was kind of underwhelming the first time I went too. Not what I had pictured in my mind, not bad, just not as big and as much to see as you might think. I’ve been back several times. The people are very friendly and helpful. Go when they have their fly in though and it’s a zoo.

Go to CVG VFR on a Sunday and you can almost bet on being able to do touch and goes on 36L. Controllers are super friendly.

Back