VFR only commercial?

tree96

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tree96
im 28 hours into my instrument rating. I'm hitting the rut, starting to wonder if I should continue with it. My first experience in actual IMC was amazing and I have enjoyed the experience thus far. Shooting approaches is fun but I'm starting to wonder if i will ever even use this rating. Let alone stay current enough to be safe in marginal. Plus I'm struggling with the written prep and even finding a place locally to take it.

I have a non aviation career and I don't plan on trying to go to the airlines. I Fly for fun. I would however like to fly skydivers.

What says the peanut gallery about pushing pause on my instrument rating and pursuing a commercial certificate?

Edit to add; if I got the commercial then my instrument later it doesn't require another checkride correct?

Last edited:
Got my IFR and never flew enough to stay current. Majority of my flights can be flown VFR. If it's weather that's keeping me from flying IFR, then it's probably weather (fog, ceilings, icing, tstorms) that I shouldn't be in anyway.

For work I fly VFR as well. Don't plan on getting current unless they upgrade me to something that requires the rating.

I will likely get my IR at some point but I have little reason to do so. The primary reason is just for the additional knowledge and capability, despite having no real need for flying in non-VFR conditions. It provides you with another bag of skills in order to give you options when things go sideways. Lastly, if and when you do want to "utilize your IR skills", you can quickly spend some time doing practice approaches and IPCs in order to build your confidence back if the skills have gotten rusty so-to-speak.

I'm sure there's some benefit to just getting the commercial, but if you have to acquire 250hrs anyway to sit for the Comm., might as well get an IR in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by "doesn't require another checkride" ?

im 28 hours into my instrument rating. I'm hitting the rut, starting to wonder if I should continue with it. My first experience in actual IMC was amazing and I have enjoyed the experience thus far. Shooting approaches is fun but I'm starting to wonder if i will ever even use this rating. Let alone stay current enough to be safe in marginal. Plus I'm struggling with the written prep and even finding a place locally to take it.

I have a non aviation career and I don't plan on trying to go to the airlines. I Fly for fun. I would however like to fly skydivers.

What says the peanut gallery about pushing pause on my instrument rating and pursuing a commercial certificate?

Edit to add; if I got the commercial then my instrument later it doesn't require another checkride correct?

Anyone who says it was easy is lying. Anyone who says it was hard is sugar coating it. Anyone who says, man that was a behoch. Cant believe the DPE passed me is Honest Abe. Stick with it dude, you are half way there. Staying current is hard sometimes for sure but OA you will be a much better pilot.

Think his question is if he gets his VFR commercial first THEN does his IFR, does he have to do another COM check ride after the IFR check ride to exercise his IFR commercial privileges?...or will the IFR check ride also give him IFR COM privileges?

I agree if you are 28 hours in, see it through. Starting from scratch may have been a different story. Even if you never use it, it will be cheaper to get current later on than to start the whole process over again should your situation change down the road.

Isn't the IR applied to the category of aircraft, not the level of certification?

Rich

Isn't the IR applied to the category of aircraft, not the level of certification?

Rich
Way beyond my expertise, but I thought it was applied to the class, not category.

To say it doesn't apply to grade is a bit odd once you start talking ATP.

First. If you get the commercial first, you will not have to do it again after you take the commercial.

Next. If you want to take a break from the instrument training to do the commercial, by all means, do it. There really isn't much down side to it especially if you already have the hour requirements n

Reactions: Ted
This
Think his question is if he gets his VFR commercial first THEN does his IFR, does he have to do another COM check ride after the IFR check ride to exercise his IFR commercial privileges?...or will the IFR check ride also give him IFR COM privileges?

The way I read it, the IR applies to whatever certificate you have.

No, he already has the Commercial Certificate. Later he completes training for the Instrument rating. He is now possess a Commercial w/ Instrument rating. Think that's what he's asking?

First. If you get the commercial first, you will not have to do it again after you take the commercial.

Next. If you want to take a break from the instrument training to do the commercial, by all means, do it. There really isn't much down side to it especially if you already have the hour requirements n

That's what I'm looking at I think. Take a break from instrument and try the commercial.

This

The way I read it, the IR applies to whatever certificate you have.

I think it applies within the category, but not across categories (airplane versus helicopter, for example).

Rich

No, he already has the Commercial Certificate. Later he completes training for the Instrument rating. He is now possess a Commercial w/ Instrument rating. Think that's what he's asking?

Yes that's what I was trying to ask in the most convoluted way possible.

Well if you're going to be a AG pilot you can get away without a IFR.

For DZ ops, as in a big turbine DZ, they are going to want a IFR, chit happens logic

Yes there is a "VFR Only" Commercial. Cannot carry passengers beyound 50nm (for hire) from starting airport, cannot carry passengers for hire at night.

If you get your Instrument Airplane before commercial, you do not have to retake the Instrument.
If you get commercial first, and then instrument, you do not have to retake the commercial.

If you have your instrument and add multi engine, you will have to complete some instrument work in the multi, to include instrument approaches and single engine work under the hood.

Greg's synopsis is correct. If you wish to take a break and get your commercial (and meet all other requirements) go ahead. When you do your IR checkride eventually, you'll be CP-ASEL-IA. Nothing wrong with it, just personal preference.

Instruments are something that you have to get a decent amount of experience with to be comfortable with regularly. I think a lot of people who get the rating never really get comfortable with it.

I know a slug of ag pilots with a "VFR Only" commercial. Some of them make really good dough too.

I'll throw a thought in...

Just do it. :)

Okay that's useless. But I still say just get 'er done. I kept pausing mine for over a decade through, and let two writtens lapse, so I'm nobody to talk.

But I always thought it was fun. But if it isn't fun for you, it's your call.

There is no IMC in Ohio? My occasional trips to Akron beg to differ.

As an instrument pilot, you end up seeking moderately crappy weather. No ice, no thunderstorms, but rain is just fine.

There is no IMC in Ohio? My occasional trips to Akron beg to differ.

As an instrument pilot, you end up seeking moderately crappy weather. No ice, no thunderstorms, but rain is just fine.

Rain is just fine for a VFR pilot as well provided they can maintain vis and cloud clearance. I've flown many flights under VFR in rain.

I look at IFR as a way to fly when conditions barely keep VFR on the ground otherwise. There's been many days where I'd like to go but a solid 1000' overcast at my source or my destination keeps me on the ground. It's a way through the layer or heavy rain. Of course being current and competent is a given.

For that reason alone I plan to pursue IFR. It probably raises the ability to fly from ~60% under VFR to 90-95%.

I was in a rut doing my instrument rating too and wanted to just give it up and move on, but I stuck with it and finished it up. You're over half-way there, and believe me, the instrument skills and practice DO help with commercial. They teach you to be way more accurate when you fly.

I'm working on my commercial off and on, I have over the required hours for it, just need some complex time, the written and a few hours on maneuvers and I'm good to go. I was already flying to commercial PTS during my instrument so honestly, I'm not worried about it.

I may put it off though as I can't really justify another 5K in expenses at this point.

My vote would be, finish up instrument and then knock out commercial, should be EASY at that point for you. Doing it the other way you may lose some of the skills that are fresh in your mind right now relating to instrument training, causing additional costs to get back up to speed.

The only difference is that he would have to fly to commercial standards on his instrument checkride. Somewhat tighter tolerances for altitude deviations etc.

For the <1000hr commercial pilot there are probably as many jobs that can be done with a VFR commercial ticket as there are jobs that require the IFR privileges.

Also think about insurance. IFR has a discount if you have your own insurance. Life insurance has provisions for IFR which may be discount or actual coverage. Also think of those few days where there is a thin layer of clouds at 1500 agl and you would be fine above to get to where you want to go. Fog, moderate rain, low clouds, any chance of icing... Nope not what I would use IFR for but for those times generally spring/fall where clouds are usually the problem it would be helpful. If you fly enough you are more likely to use it and on those days you as VFR would say probably not would be the good days to go up and practice your approaches in marginal VFR or real IFR conditions. We do have a license to learn and overall it is agreed proficient IFR skills does make a better pilot.

Way beyond my expertise, but I thought it was applied to the class, not category.

To say it doesn't apply to grade is a bit odd once you start talking ATP.

the clear as mud wording of the FAR is -
§61.5 Certificates and ratings issued under this part.

(a) The following certificates are issued under this part to an applicant who satisfactorily accomplishes the training and certification requirements for the certificate sought:
(b) The following ratings are placed on a pilot certificate (other than student pilot) when an applicant satisfactorily accomplishes the training and certification requirements for the rating sought:
(8) Instrument ratings (on private and commercial pilot certificates only)—
(i) Instrument—Airplane.
(ii) Instrument—Helicopter.
(iii) Instrument—Powered-lift.

Rain is just fine for a VFR pilot as well provided they can maintain vis and cloud clearance. I've flown many flights under VFR in rain.

There's plenty of IMC.
I could probably chime in on the should I fire my cfii thread too. But that's another story.
I have no intentions of trying to make a career out of flying at the moment. I wanted to get the instrument rating to get more utility out of my certificate. But the threat of ice for the last few months has made any actual IMC out of reach.
Wether or not I actually use it I'm not sure. Just seems like a lot of money to prove a point by finishing, because at the moment, the only thing I would use a commercial ticket for is flying skydivers. Which is what I kind of want to do now anyway.
I dunno.:(

Back